Tennis Forum banner

WWW?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see Kenin losing this one as she is the epitome of resilient to me so I don't think she's gonna give up, and I think she definitely has the game to handle Coco. However, Coco's already established herself and backed herself up (quite frankly since the US Open or Linz if we're being honest) as a very tough player, win or lose, but a QF definitely couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The only way Kenin loses this is if the hype of the player across from her digs in... Kenin lost her last two matches against (another rising star) Andreescu last year and those last two were after Bianca was getting the rockstar aura about her.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Kenin won't mentally collapse like Naomi, and let's not forget Sorana almost beat Gauff so I think Kenin can beat her as well.

But then again I totally expected Naomi to not throw in a stinker and lose to Coco, so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Kenin won't mentally collapse like Naomi, and let's not forget Sorana almost beat Gauff so I think Kenin can beat her as well.

But then again I totally expected Naomi to not throw in a stinker and lose to Coco, so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
Osaka clearly wasn't herself today, she looked and felt completely lost out there. And that's not taking anything away from Gauff, but she's not there quite yet, she will be, very soon, sooner than probably anyone expected, but it's not there yet. I'm sure Kenin knows this, plus she'll know not to underestimate the 15yo. So most likely result is Kenin in 2 sets, but I could see this going to 3, and even that would be a tremendous result for Coco. I know everyone is already extremely proud of everything she has done so far here, especially after her match against Naomi, how she never buckled and took the chances she was given, but first of all she should be proud of herself too, doesn't matter what happens against Sofia in R4.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I hope Coco can pull off another upset. I always root for her. Kenin has experience on her side, which may win her the match. Still, if Coco can serve like she did against Naomi and defend well then she can beat Kenin. Still, my prediction skills are lacking and it’s impossible to call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Kenin is too solid; she won't make mistakes. Cori will have to be more aggressive and will probably made more errors as she is better at counterpunching.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you hate when players yell "come on" over and over again, do not watch this match. Coco does it quite a bit, but Kenin takes it to the next level.

As for the match, I expect Kenin to win, because she's gritty and shouldn't lose to a 15-year old child. Can Gauff win? Absolutely. I'd give her about a 35% chance to take this match.

Some things that could turn the tide in Gauff's favor:
  • Serve: if she gets 75% 1st serves in as she did vs Naomi, watch out.
  • Return on 2nd serve: Kenin made a lot of 1st offerings vs. Zhang, but if it drops a bit, there's an opening for her to attack the 2nd serve as she did vs. Ostapenko in Linz.
  • Speed: Kenin's a nice ballstriker, but her shots (almost always CC, by the way) can't really hurt someone with Coco's wheels. Same for Kenin's dropshots: they likely won't work that well against the youngster.
I'm also curious as to what's going on with Kenin's right forearm/wrist. She was shaking it out, very much like McNally (who has wrist strapping and an arm sleeve) was earlier in the tournament.

Should be fun.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I bet Gauff will win somehow. Kenin normally would be the best bet, but Gauff has too much confidence and momentum. Kenin needs to break that confidence by having a strong start and fighting for every single point.

·
Registered
874 Posts
despite the fact that sonya is the seed, i assume the betting would have coco as favourite.
sonya's grit and fight got her over zhang yesterday, and she proved she could win without playing at her best.

as a sonya fan, am hoping for a win, but wouldn't surprise me if coco wins.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I bet Gauff will win somehow. Kenin normally would be the best bet, but Gauff has too much confidence and momentum. Kenin needs to break that confidence by having a strong start and fighting for every single point.
confidence, momentum... that's the way to describe 15yo :)

·
Banned
484 Posts
I cannot see Coco winning this. Kenin is way too solid on her technique and mentally stable. Kenin just doesn’t make mistakes

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Wang isn't Zhang so there will be a lot more power and fighting spirit on the other end from Sonya. But Sonya isn't a mental midget so team Coco can't expect Kenin to fold like a cheap tent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts