• Barbora Krejcikova

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 17 9.4%
61 - 80 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Sakkari and Kontaveit are always playing each other.

I am hoping Hsieh Yu-chieh gets into the singles draw as an on-site LL and wins the gold in her sister's honour. 😍

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Interesting 1sr Round Matches
Barty vs SST......Bencic vs Pegula......Errani vs Pav......Giorgi vs Brady.....Kud vs Mug.....Cornut vs KaPlis
Sakkari vs Kontaveit....Siegemund vs Monfils(?).....CSN vs Jabber....S Zheng vs Osaka

·
Registered
19,463 Posts
You gotta feel Garbiñe is paying some sort of karma for wasting easy ass draws in 2018 and 2019. This includes her 2016 Rio draw where she had it decent basically until the semis only to be fed two breadsticks by Puig in 3R.

Shame that Barty-Krejcikova is a QF. They’re both contenders for medals based on how they’re coming into the event and sucks one of them won’t even get to the last four.

The Japenese have played their part and Osaka’s mental health must be so much better now after seeing that draw. A cakewalk, her favorite surface and no local crowd to pressure her. Party on.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Come on Barbora!

·
Registered
116,611 Posts
Lets see if Pliskova's rise at Wimbledon carries over to this event
She has a nice draw and if she's serving well, a good chance vs Osaka

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Ouch. Obviously it's just the sign of the global tennis calendar, and we generally get it good over here, so can't really complain, but even given the 8 hour time difference, I think that's literally the worst possible realistic schedule. 11am local starts, 4 matches on each court, BO3 for everyone, and seemingly no dedicated evening sessions, so it's looking like matches starting at roughly 3am, 4.45am, 6.30am, 7.45am over here, even earlier if there are a few 0/1/2 0/1/2 blowouts. and play finishing around 5.30/6pm each day in Japan.

I'm not even sure of the TV coverage. Maybe Eurosport Player will have all the matches, although I've literally just cancelled my 6.99 monthly membership the other day, a month after I should as I forgot to after RG had finished so I paid a full extra month by mistake for absolutely no viewing return :ROFLMAO:.

I think I'll just be relying on highlights when I get up.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
As for Badosa, I'm happy enough with that draw. She has a winnable R1 match in both singles and doubles before very tough potential R2 matches in both events (Swiatek, and Krej-Sini), so she has a good chance to at least get a win or two (overall) and have something to show for her efforts, as she seems to have been focussing on, and really looking forward to this for a while, going off her Instagram posts, but then there's the chance for either a real statement win over Iga in R2, or more likely, an early exit with plenty of time to get over to San Jose to play the W500 the following week.

There were these threads about would you rather win an OG, or a W1000, and while I'd definitely rather win an OG than that, if the option was R1 or R2 exit at one event, and a QF/SF (non bronze) exit at the other, I'd far rather the QF/SF exit came at either Cincy or Canada personally.

·
Registered
19,199 Posts
Going out on a limb to say that I think Osaka will feel the pressure and will not even make the medal rounds (as much as I hope I'm wrong). She's struggled with Saisai before in the past and I'm expecting the same here, and MCOS/Golubic can really rattle her with their junkballing as well. So not as easy as some people are portraying her draw to be... her R3 should be her easiest round, and R4 of course with Iga looming is tough.

Heck, I think Barty might get upset early as well given her draw.

I actually see Swiatek doing well here if the courts are as slow as they're described to be. I see Krejcikova medalling as well from the top half.

I may be way wrong on this one, but I'm guessing a Krejcikova/Swiatek final and a playoff between Svitolina and Sabalenka for the bronze. Though of course I'm hoping Osaka makes it there, but I just have a weird feeling she isn't going to, and Swiatek is my next favourite that I think will take advantage of the draw should it really open up, and especially if she can get past Badosa in R2 (especially since there is practically no one who can overpower & hit her off the court from her half of the draw if Naomi flops early).

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,548 Posts
3rd quarter is super weak and I think we’re getting a surprise finalist from there. That quarter being weak makes other 3 look way more difficult.
Of course Muguruza gets an awful draw.

I don’t think SST will cause many trouble to Ash at all. SST preys on one dimensional ball bashers, but is in trouble when she’s against players with variety and ability to finish points at the net. She likes to make players rush and feel like they need to go for more and that is not Barty’s m.o.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Honestly, if the courts are slow, Barty could struggle vs SST. After that, Barty-Krejcikova is tough.

Sabalenka-Rybakina again? :(

Muguruza with another tough draw, but she seems to be in a good mood. Still, quite possible medalist (with the slow courts and all)

The marquee quarter is obviously the third one, though unfortunately Ostapenko will probably not get through Pliskova (who avoided Pegula and therefore is unbeatable until the final)

I feel that from the last quarter, Swiatek and Osaka's chances rest quite a bit on how well topspin bites on the courts. Any ideas?
Barty has no business struggling against SST. Like, cmon. But sure she will have to spend more energy than against the likes of Tomljanovic.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Badosa 20/1 9th favourite despite probably having to play both the 4th fave (Iga) and outright fave (Osaka) just to make it to the semi final. Odds are obviously just a number, but it is pretty encouraging from a fan's perspective that perception is generally high, and that she can actually be a factor in these bigger events.

She really has come a long way these past 6 months or so (even if she does lose to Iga in R2). Hopefully that current 29 ranking will be a more realistic number by the end of the NA swing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Depending on Karolina's form, I like Jabeur's chances for a shot at the semis.

I think Barty will win. Although Osaka has proven she can perform under extreme pressure, I think she won't be match tough in time. But I will gladly be proven wrong.

61 - 80 of 177 Posts