487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H2H: Halep 3 - 1 Mertens
Clay H2H: Halep 2 - 0 Mertens
Finals H2H: Halep 0 - 1 Mertens

WTA Finals Record:
Halep: 20 W / 17 L
Mertens: 5 W / 1 L

Who wins? My vote goes to Mertens scraping through a three set mess.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Mertens didn't impress me against Pliskova, not to mention Krystina played against Ana Bogdan in the QFs, and the other Romanian was 5-2 up and got injured...

But here, it will be all about who will raise her level. And let's not forget that Mertens is younger and has probably played more lately.

I still say Halep in 2 long sets or even 3.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mertens didn't impress me against Pliskova, not to mention Krystina played against Ana Bogdan in the QFs, and the other Romanian was 5-2 up and got injured...

But here, it will be all about who will raise her level. And let's not forget that Mertens is younger and has probably played more lately.

I still say Halep in 2 long sets or even 3.
This hasn't been a great tournament from Elise by any means but at the same time, Simona has been unconvincing throughout too. Elise will be easily the strongest opponent she's played this week and you have to assume that she won't let Simona get away with the amount of double faults she has been throwing in all week long.

Simona isn't really known for raising her level in finals, so I would bet on Elise being the one to pick her game up tomorrow. That's why I think she might take it.

·
Registered
114,803 Posts
Mertens is due for a Halep win

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unfortunately for Elise, her game doesn't match up well against Simona's. Both players are tremendous movers, Elise plays with margin, and like Simona the backhand is the more reliable shot.

Both could do it, and I admire both players. Elise has seemed more comfortable in Prague than in Palermo, where she took an 1R setback. Simona seems troubled by trying to decide what to do about NYC. So we'll see. If they revert to form, Simona.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Her best option is to grind Halep down like she did in Doha. She doesn’t defend as well on clay, so this might be slightly more difficult. However, if Halep is struggling against Begu, she will certainly have her chances.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Her best option is to grind Halep down like she did in Doha. She doesn’t defend as well on clay, so this might be slightly more difficult. However, if Halep is struggling against Begu, she will certainly have her chances.
Begu is a heavy hitter.

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
On clay, where Simona is very comfortable, moving well is not going to be enough to beat her if she's playing at a specific level. But she's not really at a great level right now so I think if Elise can keep the UEs down but play with good, consistent aggression, she can do it. But I'm thinking this will be Simona's title.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Simona's only struggle today against Begu was when Begu called out the trainer for a blister; thereafter, focus was a small issue for Simona, because Begu fell apart quickly, before dragging herself part way back, but nothing for overcoming which Simona will deserve the honor of merit.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
What does that change?

She’s a slow mover, which is generally Halep’s ideal opponent. I have yet to watch the match but if Halep is struggling against her, it does not bode well.
Begu today had 2 injuries, but not this Begu. Begu 1-2 days ago was slower, today she played really well in the 1st set. Today without injuries would have defeated many on clay.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
It all depends on which Simona walks onto the court tomorrow, the normal fighting Simona or the lackadaisical Simona that has played all the matches in this event.
I'm picking Mertens over my favorite Simona.
Simona just doesn't seem to care about this tournament, but that could always change for the final.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Get her, Elise!

Reactions: VeeJJ

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
What everyone seems to have missed is that Mertens was at absolute full stretch to beat Pliskova and, if the latter hadn't dumped 44 unforced errors around the court, she would have won comfortably. Halep struggled in certain games against Begu, especially when she got broken, but settled down in the second set (helped, no doubt, by Begu struggling with her sore hand and blisters on her feet). It was also a hard match from a personal perspective, because they've been great friends for many years, starting playing together when they were kids, and they know each other's game inside-out.

Based on all of that, I'll pick Halep to win the final in straight sets, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if the result actually went the other way. It's the sort of match where the bookmakers should have it as about a 1.75 plays 2.00, rather than 1.40 plays 3.00 which is the current market.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts