(5) Perez vs Sanders
(3) Aiava vs (WC) Gibson
(8) Myers vs Bozovic
(2) Cabrera vs Da Silva Fick

Starts Tuesday at 10am local time.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Sanders seems to be in decent form recently but tricky first match vs Perez.

Can Tomic shock Rodionova? John Tomic usually offers his support when she plays this event, was shouting like crazy from the stands a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would think Aiava would win easy. She'll get a WC regardless so her enthusiasm may not be high.
Not necesarily on both accounts. There's 8 WCs as usual - Parmentier and Vandeweghe have theirs via that reciprocal arrangement, and Han won the other playoff, that leaves 5. I'd assume Maria S would get one (if she is fit to play), and Hon and Sharma are both notable absentees from this playoff, presumably as they have theirs already sorted, so you're potentially just looking at one more outside the winner of this. Cabrera and Inglis have both been in reasonable for recently, and are both a similar age to Des, so if they both make the final, then they could both get the last 2 spots - I think it's all to play for.

As for Des, her recent results are certainly nothing to write home about:

Lost to Okumura, Woolcock and Popovic x 2 in her last 4 events, and she hasn't beaten anyone higher than 292 since before Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These matches start at 10am local each day (men's competition starts in a couple of hours). That's 11pm in the UK, so I often watch the first scheduled matches to a conclusion - there's normally pretty good coverage.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You would think Aiava would win easy. She'll get a WC regardless so her enthusiasm may not be high.
I think she's very far from a lock. Her form has been poor and at times her attitude is atrocious. She doesn't behave like a professional tennis player.

She only just got a WC last year after performances in Brisbane. Sharma missed out on that WC, and then performed much better after qualifying for the AO.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Da Silva Fick and Tomic have match-play from the UTR playoffs. Rodionova and Cabrera may not be as sharp and could be upset if they can't find their rhythm.

I can see Inglis beating Sanders in the final

·
Registered
52,092 Posts
#128 Maddison Inglis should have gotten a Wild Card.
She is a talented girl and has improved so much in the last months.
Unfair :(

·
Registered
395 Posts
Seone Mendez lives in Spain so I imagine she didn't think it was worth travelling so far for an outside chance.

But I think she is certainly in the conversation for a QDWC.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
T. Gibson/Poulos d. Fourlis/ARodionova lol

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
edit

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts