Zheng

Rose
Sabalenka
Mertens
Sakkari

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks for posting the groups - I checked the WTA website, and didn't see them there (surprise).

Hmm...I'm hoping Madison and Dayana can make a splash here, and the their respective groups given them a decent shot at doing that. I'd give Muchova better chance if she were in a more amenable group, but Riske and Kenin are going to be tough foes.

Still, I feel Sabs can take this, so she's my pick.

How's the court speed, BTW?

·
Registered
599 Posts
three really tough groups, and then there's the orchid group.

dayana, sonya, maddie and aryna to go through for me.
disappointed aryna & elise in the same group, at least they will know each others game.

i'm actually really looking forward to this, if it was on t.v.in australia, it would be even better.
looks like i'm going to have to get a stream instead.

the winner will get a great bounce into 2020.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
oh...I didn't realize that Kaja qualified.....Sloane not participating ensured Kaja to be the last entry I guess.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for posting the groups - I checked the WTA website, and didn't see them there (surprise).

Hmm...I'm hoping Madison and Dayana can make a splash here, and the their respective groups given them a decent shot at doing that. I'd give Muchova better chance if she were in a more amenable group, but Riske and Kenin are going to be tough foes.

Still, I feel Sabs can take this, so she's my pick.

How's the court speed, BTW?
Very fast which has ensured a big server/hitter has won the event all 4 years with Venus, Kvitova, Goerges and Barty coming away with trophy. Of the 4 Barty is not the biggest hitter but she can serve pretty well and had Houdini act last year only getting out of the group thanks to better games won % ahead of Sabalenka who missed out by a single game!

Logic says Sabalenka should be the favorite here. She loves playing in China and has had tons of success and Zhuhai court is perfect for her game. Keys could do big damage if she is not injured (again) and can find the court. Pushers are not favored here which sounds about right with so many tournaments set up for grinders and lame tennis players.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I actually think Bertens can come through Azealia, she's beaten both of them and done it recently too. Plus might be a little more rested now and swinging freely since she didn't make it to Shenzhen.

It's in China so I have to favour Riske over Kenin/Muchova in the Camelia group.

The Orchid group is in such scrubby form lately. :sad: Wish they were more spread out. I'll guess Keys makes it through.

Rose should favour Sabalenka. Mertens has had a long season and Sakkari has been injured and missed most of the past few weeks.

I would guess a Sabalenka/Bertens final, with maybe Kenin as a potential spoiler.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
All I can say is wow, there are a lot of tough competitors in this tournament, I don't think anyone can really predict who will win. All the players here have been in great form at some point in the year but have been marred by inconsistencies, so who knows who will peak here and who will crumble!

Since this is a tournament in CHina, I guess players like Sabalenka and Riske will have an advantage, but I don't think anything is a given. Bertens while she had a good run in Beijing...I'm still not convinced overall by her level of play as of late. Meanwhile players like Keys are equally likely to win as they are to getting injured :shrug: Overall I think this tournament is going to be a crapshoot to predict :hysteric:

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Fun groups! Voted for Aryna.

·
King
28,532 Posts
Bertens playing for another week... :help:

Does she really want the cash that much over risking burnout? I’m sure she’ll get a decent wedge from being the Shenzhen 1st alt regardless.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bertens playing for another week... :help:

Does she really want the cash that much over risking burnout? I’m sure she’ll get a decent wedge from being the Shenzhen 1st alt regardless.
It's obviously not about money for Kiki after she left 391K on the table in Beijing. She wants to spend off-season in a wheelchair.

·
🐟🐟
4,169 Posts
How is this tournament being streamed? I do not see it on WTATV and Eurosport.
Last year's tournament was live streamed on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pg/wtaelitetrophy/videos/

2017's tournament was live streamed on another Facebook account
https://www.facebook.com/pg/WTALiveMatches/videos/

Italian SuperTennis TV will show 3 matches a day

Code:
Schedule: https://www.supertennis.tv/On-Demand/Palinsesto
Livestream: http://sport-tv.biz/2018/12/3-super-tennis.html

·
Registered
81,316 Posts

1 - 20 of 35 Posts