Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the WTA Newcomer of the Year sees Andreescu again nominated, with 15-year-old Coco Gauff making the cut after her exploits in the second half of the year, which saw her reach the fourth round at Wimbledon and win in Linz.
Karolina Muchova, Elena Rybakina, Iga Swiatek and Dayana Yastremska are also among the hopefuls for the award.
https://www.wtatennis.com/news/1498837/2019-season-wta-player-awards-nominations-announced

detail of 5 nominees except Yastremska are in the article below:
Ranking Rockets: The 20 biggest movers in the 2019 Year-End Rankings over the previous year - plus three honorable mentions
https://www.wtatennis.com/photos/1493235/ranking-rockets-the-20-biggest-movers-in-the-2019-year-end-rankings-over-the-previous-year-plus-three-honorable-mentions

I've never seen such a strong Newcomer field
BTW I thought Yastremska isn't eligible for a newcomer

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
Why is details for Dayana not mentioned?

·
Registered
30,746 Posts
Bethanie Mattek-Sands is nominated for comeback of the year :haha::hysteric:? I still think Petra should get it, and Bencic isn't really coming back but she probably will; Kuzzie is a real comeback but only had one good tournament. Andreescu had the best comeback imo :shrug:.

Typical WTA to botch this article too giving complicated paragraph-form explanations of the awards that no one wants to read instead of just listing the players nominated :rolleyes:.

Andreescu better get newcomer :fiery:.

·
Registered
599 Posts
if gauff had of won indian wells, toronto and the u.s. open she would have definitely won, but she didn't, so if bianca doesn't win this, just never have the awards ever again.

i wonder if they ever give the results on who voted for who, i still want to know who voted for bellis over mertens in 2017 for this award.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I feel sorry for some of these players... they have achieved a lot as newcomers this year, but their achievements have all been majorly overshadowed by Bianca.

·
61,956 Posts
Should be Bianca. Might be Coco though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I feel sorry for some of these players... they have achieved a lot as newcomers this year, but their achievements have all been majorly overshadowed by Bianca.
Yep...this. Like what Coco has done at her young age is awesome. But I will be extremely disappointed if she won this over Bianca, except Bianca is given POTY which may not be totally fair to Barty.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Gauff will take this cause it's the media voting.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Watch Coco win this over Bianca...
I’m sure any media that wants to justify to themselves a reason to vote Gauff over Andreescu will be able to find a way to do it...

But, really it’s Bianca and there just isn’t any other answer here...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts