Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ons got into Donna's head with her various shotmaking abilities, dropshots and Donna was frustrated throughout the match, even if she was a break-up at times. She probably had visions of her longtime nemesis, Sevastova, on the other side of the net. Her 3 OCC sessions with Torben was about him calming her down, and her wanting Vika back.

Onwards for Ons, I wish she had more discipline instead of randomly giving away games.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Donna still cant figure out Ons. Sometimes I think her old ballbashing style could help in this sort of matches.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I know Ons was leading in the H2H, but based on her previous match I didn't expect Ons to actually beat Vekic.

Vekic really doesn't want that top 20 spot does she? :p

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
:cheer:

Donna really struggles against players who don't feed her rhythm and pace (as you mention Sevastova has pigeonised her). But what a win for Ons! :worship: Makes you wonder what she could have done earlier in the year if not for her injuries. This court speed should really suit her.

Rybakina in the next round.

·
Premium Member
64,825 Posts
Congrats Ons :hearts:
Donna :hug:

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
More talented player won. Although having more talent than most of the top 100 doesn't usually help Jabeur actually win matches.

Vekic has made a lot of commendable improvements to her game in the past few years but she's still fundamentally quite one-dimensional and rigid - no surprise that variety players trouble her gamewise (and mentally).

·
Registered
87,388 Posts
Vekic lost? Good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Easy to say after a loss happens but I'll do it anyways. A loss like this is the reason Donna isn't in the top 20. Getting outplayed by a LL as the 16 seed in a P5 is not good enough.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Donna totally gave away this match. :facepalm:
She can’t sustain her form from rest of the year which would have bern more than enough today.

Ons did not have to play anything special today, she can be much, much better so I don’t expect her to win more matches here.

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why the handslap and frosty stare from Vekic at the end?
It's not directed to Ons personally, it was directed to her game. Donna was flustered, almost got a panic attack with all those winners raining past her. She wanted rhythm, got non, probably next time she meets Vika she will give her the same hand slap for spoiling her day. She was testy, flustered, red as a beetroot, even the time the it took for the trainer to come to the court to attend to Ons irritated her, Torben had to tell her to calm town. And mind you, she was a break up throughout this drama.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts