Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
It's like cool epilepsy.
65,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wuhan QF: Riske d. (3) Svitolina 61 63

Alison :hearts: :inlove: She really loves playing in China.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Svitolina got totally outplayed on Wuhan's superfast court. Started the second set tight, but became totally clueless like all her meltdowns before.

She can only hope that Shenzhen's court is not this fast.

All pushers out of Wuhan again before semifinal. I find that those who did well in Wimbeldon tend to do well in Wuhan(like in 14 15 16), Riske also played a closer match with Serena than Svitolina did this year.

Riske peaks in China again. She has a good chance to win the title if she enters the final and faces Barty again.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Re: Wuhan QF: Riske d. (3) Svitolina 6-1 6-3

Ali saving tennis!

What a year for her.

Elina played so safe...Everything pushed into the middle of the court, was awful to watch.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Yaaaaaaassssss Alison!!! What a year! Finally a really good result at a PM/P5. This moves her to #20 in the Race, she has an amazing chance to make the Elite Trophy, which would be awesome for her. SF here against Petra, and I would love either to be in the final

Basiclina. Girl, bye.... I wish there was a way for her to just miss YEC, but Serena more than likely withdraws...

·
Premium Member
44,113 Posts
Re: Wuhan QF: Riske d. (3) Svitolina 61 63

It was looking very good in the last games, with a real mental battle that Alison won. That's the same Alison who played Wimbledon, incredibly strong mentally. Never let it go. Pretty sure Elina could have come back in this match, had Alison not been so focused. :yeah:

·
Registered
38,323 Posts
3 threads :spit:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Svitolina absolutely flummoxed and frustrated by Riske's game on this fast hardcort.
Those two running forehand DTL passing shot winners :worship: and even the netcord shot when Alison's way :SNE:

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
As a fan, i’ve been waiting for Riske to achieve her potential and stop being a mental midget for YEARS… of course after being useless in the last 3 seasons she finally turns things around right in time to snatch Venus’ Olympics spot. :hysteric:

Great match from her though. She came out and tussled hard to get that opening game, and just took control from then to the final point. :) Her fitness is pretty underrated too, she can chase everything down and has a very strong core.

Shenzhen final was one of the best of the year, I would not at all mind seeing a rematch between her and Sabalenka.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
for the 3rd time this year Ali reverses an 0-3 career H2H, she returned great, stayed calm under pressure and played so smart tonight. Just kept going after the Svitolina forehand, even if Svitty hit a few good ones, Ali knew it would break down sooner or later... lets go girl, reach the final

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re: Wuhan QF: Riske d. (3) Svitolina 61 63

In the very 1st game (Svitolina's serve), at 40-30, Riske's shot was called "out" once
Riske challenged and that ball was a millimeter in
That point was replayed, this game went into many deuces and finally Riske broke
after then this match went like downhill

One challenge can work like this

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Svitolina exposed.

Alison has been great to watch since her Wimbledon run.

She played out the perfect game plan against Svitolina, go on the attack, play with control and be patient, do that against Svitolina especially on a court like this, then more than likely you win.

A nice set of Semi Finals, impossible to predict a winner.

·
Registered
21,227 Posts
Riske really played controlled but aggressive tennis with good placement. Kept her head focused. The first game that lasted 9 deuces showing the difference today. Svitolina kept finding herself in awkward spots and made lots of errors as well. Really felt like she was just hanging on.

Riske's game in some way theoretically shouldn't work. It's amazing how she can redirect those balls DTL even with a seemingly wonky hook on the FH. She was very good at changing up her shots today, and rarely overcooked.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Elina :hug: I'm not surprised that Riske won. Their previous matches were really close despite Riske losing, with Riske choking in one of them, but these days Riske has somehow become very mentally strong. However I did not anticipate the scoreline to be this one-sided. Riske managed to hang with Elina in rallies and basically won the match mentally after the first game. Reminds me of Svitolina's Wimbledon SF loss. In fact the scoreline is very similar as well :eek:h:

Ali has been having a great year, competing with the very best on grass and the faster China surfaces. Keep it up :yeah:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts