Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: WuhanQF: [1] Ashleigh Barty d. Petra Martic 7-6(6) 3-6 6-3

Barty steadily on the improve... That was her best match in quite a while! Confidence is on the way! :D

There was some really high quality stuff there from the both of them! :worship:

Petra :hug:

·
Registered
5,700 Posts

Very consistent a this tournament. Hoping she or Kvitova grabs the title! ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts

Feels like it was the time for Martic to finnaly win such match and get ahead in rankings.
In the end, she gave it away.
Had 1:0 40:15 on serve in third before giving break away with bad errors.
Then had numerous chances at 3:4 to get to 4:4 but despite playing some great tennis in the game, she was very bad at game points and at the end gave it away with a DF.

Congrats Ash

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Feels like it was the time for Martic to finnaly win such match and get ahead in rankings.
In the end, she gave it away.
Then had numerous chances at 3:4 to get to 4:4 but despite playing some great tennis in the game, she was very bad at game points and at the end gave it away with a DF.

Congrats Ash

That DF hurt so much

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

DF at 3-4/ *40-A :help: :sobbing:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Only caught the first set, match was always on Ash’s control, their games are similar but Petra not as good in most areas.

·
Registered
34,345 Posts

Very close match. Martic definitely had her chances in all sets but Barty was just too solid in the end. She continues her steady year with another P5 SF.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

She served good till 40-15 (holds 9. games in a row), lost only 4 points in 2. second set on serve, if Barty missed that return (0-1/ 15-40) Petra would have a good chance to win this match at the end :sobbing:

·
Registered
2,882 Posts

I was expecting Barty to win 2-1 in sets.
I knew Martic was good enough for win but that she will not be able to stay calm when it is needed.
Barty is having better attitude in such matches.
That’s exactly what happened.
It felt like Petra just needed to continue in final set what she did in second, but in second game of final set something changed in her body language and shot selections.
From then on Barty was favorite to win and she did.
Still I am not dissapointed as Petra’s fan, she played really well and showed once again what she is able to do when playing well.
Hoping now Barty can win this tournament.

·
Registered
947 Posts

She served good till 40-15 (holds 9. games in a row), lost only 4 points in 2. second set on serve, if Barty missed that return (0-1/ 15-40) Petra would have a good chance to win this match at the end :sobbing:
Or that Barty BH at 3:4 40:30 that seemed to go out and then hit both lines at the end.

I mean, Ash deserved this. But just felt like Petra really needed to win this to make another step foward in her career.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Hitting a DF that barely landed inside the baseline down break point at 3-4 is a spectacular way to end very impressive 16-match win streak in the deciding sets. Just like her compatriot Donna, Petra also wants to stay average for the rest of her career. What's little left of it anyway.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts

She's up six spots this week in the live rankings, from #22 to #16. First time ranked higher than #20 and might giver her a seeding at AO :smash:

·
Registered
10,268 Posts

Some really good play towards the end of set 2 and the start of set 3. :) Great volleys from both, especially.

3 consecutive Wuhan SFs is a nice stat for Ash! While it's one of her strengths that she's generally steady throughout an entire match/season, I do think she needs to find that ability to raise her level and go into a higher gear at times. We saw when Martic found some good patches of play today she was caught unaware and didn't have much to respond to it. Good effort to close it out though because it really could have gone either way, the way she started the match was impressive too.

Petra went for way too much sometimes on her game points. Lots of drop shots and serve/volley which ended up being high risk/low reward in that third set.

·
Registered
947 Posts

She's up six spots this week in the live rankings, from #22 to #16. First time ranked higher than #20 and might giver her a seeding at AO :smash:

I know all of that. And she did that because of her consistent play during last 10 months.
Next step is getting a win against high ranked player, since she has total of 1 top 10 wins this year. And that was Pliskova at (her worst) Slam.
Next step is also reaching SF or winning such a tournament or higher.
That next step would be also something I was hoping for earlier. Like if she beat Vondrousova at French or Svitolina in London. Even Pliskova in Zhuzhai. She made huge step at Roland Garros, but in order to really get in the mix at the top of the game she had to win that match or today. I am not saying she will not get there, but I was hoping she would do it earlier.
She always needs time to make such steps and you know it. She needed many R16 at Slams to get first QF or many years to win first title.
She was never type of player to have huge run out of nowhere. And she is gonna have to have that in order to get to top 10, which is where she can go IMO.
The fact she got up 6 spots this week is result of her season as a whole. She is one of the most consitent players this year.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,972 Posts
I haven't watched a lot of matches this tournament but this was a match I didn't want to miss. It had quality written all over it and I have to say I was not disappointed. One of the most enjoyable matches I have watched this year with genuinely beautiful tennis from both players. The momentum did fluctuate at times but until the end it was never clear who would finish this match on top. The differences between the two girls was paperthin throughout. It is a shame there had to be a loser.

One of the most striking things about the match was how similar both girls games are. I think both of them must at times have felt like they were playing their reflections. Of course when you are playing your reflection you are always in with a chance but that chance is never going to be much more than 50%. I think both girls were aware of the challenge they faced and it was clear from the way they both played and the discussions they both had with their coaches the mutual respect they have for each other's game. I loved so many of the exchanges in this match. The longer points were thrilling and there were several backhand slice exchanges that had me drooling. :eek:h: Petra is one of the few players on the tour that can hold her own in a backhand slice duel with Barty.

This was the 1st loss Petra has experienced in a 3rd set since Indian Wells. Incredibly Petra had won her last 16 3 setters. Such streaks never go on forever. They do always come to an end at some point. It is fitting that this streak ended at the hands of some with the talent of Ashleigh Barty.

I think this probably ends Petra's chances for finishing 2019 in the top 10. But she has been amazingly consistent since the start of April. Since the start of April Petra is actually in the top 10 in ranking points won. If Petra can keep the level she has displayed for the last 6 months through to Indian Wells and Miami next year and she will have an excellent chance of being in the top 10 by Spring next year. That would be a deserving reward for the wonderful tennis she has shown the last few months.

As for Ashleigh, this wasn't a perfect match, there were admittedly occasional dips in her level, but overall it was as good as she has played since Birmingham. For much of this match she showed why she is ranked number 1. I would be very happy to see Ash stay at this level for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
So proud of Ash. This is exactly the sort of match she needed to win. She played well for sure, but Martic played good tennis as well. However, Ash showed why she was number 1 by being clutch when it mattered. The intense TB, plus that game at 4-3 decided the match. Breaking Martic’s deciding set streak in the process as well!
Martic :hug: She has the talent. Just needs a little bit more mental strength to win these sorts of matches.

Ash always seems to do well in Wuhan. Hope she can get the title finally this time! A reprise of last year’s SF against Sabalenka will be great. I pray Ash pulls through this time! :cheer:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Barty played at a superb level in this match, Martić wasn't too shabby as well but Ashley clinched the win by not making errors and playing all-court tennis when it counted the most. The order of serving also had some importance in the deciding set. There were to cool points in a row when both won their rallies hitting winners at the end with Martić mirroring Barty in the same fashion.
Ashley for me is a favourite to win Wuhan Open if she can maintain this level.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu
1 - 20 of 21 Posts