Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's possible, considering her resurgence of form, but I won't be holding my breath. And part of me doesn't want that match-up. And if she were to get by Vika in the second round, it would mean Simona would have bigger server to deal with.

Really, I'd be fine with Simona just having to play Vika again and showing everyone her win at the USO was no fluke. As we saw in the USO match, this match-up wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be. Vika's pace doesn't really trouble Simona and she was in almost everyone of her service games. I only hope she defends her BPs better and has a better conversion rate on her own BP chances.
In a lot of BPs lost it was Vika who served good and Simona had to defend, if I remember correctly. So she couldn't do much when that was the case. BP conversion rate is somehow deceptive. What I would love to see Simona doing is to enter the match "smelling blood" if I can say so. That was her demeanor after the first set with Vika and it showed. With Vika she can't play to many neutral balls, she has to be on the hunt.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I watched the Azarenka match again in preparation for this week and Rennae Stubbs kept on going on in the 3rd set about how dreadful Simona's BP conversion was. However, she completely neglected to emphasise how many more BP opportunities Simona had created than Vika (at that stage in the match it was 16-5 or 17-5). If she'd only created half those BP chances she might only have converted half of what she actually did. If you keep on creating the opportunities, sooner or later you're going to take them.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Happy birthday Simo :inlove:

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
I watched the Azarenka match again in preparation for this week and Rennae Stubbs kept on going on in the 3rd set about how dreadful Simona's BP conversion was. However, she completely neglected to emphasise how many more BP opportunities Simona had created than Vika (at that stage in the match it was 16-5 or 17-5). If she'd only created half those BP chances she might only have converted half of what she actually did. If you keep on creating the opportunities, sooner or later you're going to take them.
And part of it was Simona needing so many BPs opportunities in a single game to break. Like when she broke Vika in her first 2 service games of the match, she need 8 BPs. And in that regard, having so many BPs go by the boards can be misleading. She probably had 2 games, one in the second set and one in the third, where she had numerous BPs and didn't covert. And in the second set, not converting in that first game got her pretty pissed off and she lost her focus.

·
Registered
636 Posts
And now I see Pavlyuchenkova is 6:0 *2:1 against Kuznetsova :eek: (Previous H2H vs Sveta was 0-3, albeit long time ago).
H2H Pavly vs Simona is 0-5, with the last match played in Cinci QF, 76(3) 62.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have a dilemma:

If Simona, let's say, wins Wuhan, what are the odds to win Beijing, which is more important?

And then, let's say, she wins Beijing, what are her odds to win Singapore, Singapore being even more important?

Are we seriously expecting Simona to win 3 tournaments back to back?

If not, what are the realistic and best expectations for each of the following 3 tournaments?

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
I have a dilemma:

If Simona, let's say, wins Wuhan, what are the odds to win Beijing, which is more important?

And then, let's say, she wins Beijing, what are her odds to win Singapore, Singapore being even more important?

Are we seriously expecting Simona to win 3 tournaments back to back?

If not, what are the realistic and best expectations for each of the following 3 tournaments?
I have a similar dilemma. What if Gisele Bundchen wants to sleep with me, but so does Kate Upton? And then, let's say Beyonce also wants to sleep with me? What are the odds I can sleep with all three without any of them finding out about the others?? :grin2:

Seriously, you should keep your expectations low for Wuhan and Beijing. Just my opinion, but Simona looked spent from the first match last week. She's ready for the year to end. Additionally, she's never done great in Asia at the end of the year (not including Singapore). Just the Beijing QF last year when she muddled through with a bad hip.
Best expectations for Wuhan/Beijing are 2 QFs. Then she'll have 2 weeks off to prepare for Singapore, where she'll be more motivated. It's more important than China. Plus, Darren should be there, and Simona will probably be in the group opposite Serena. So I'd like to see her make the SF at least. And I'm hoping she can win the title. Just look at the list of YEC champions. All except Petra are shoo-ins for the HoF, and she may be too by the time she retires. For Simona's legacy, a YEC title is far more important than Asian Tier Ones.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
I have a similar dilemma. What if Gisele Bundchen wants to sleep with me, but so does Kate Upton? And then, let's say Beyonce also wants to sleep with me? What are the odds I can sleep with all three without any of them finding out about the others?? :grin2:

Seriously, you should keep your expectations low for Wuhan and Beijing. Just my opinion, but Simona looked spent from the first match last week. She's ready for the year to end. Additionally, she's never done great in Asia at the end of the year (not including Singapore). Just the Beijing QF last year when she muddled through with a bad hip.
Best expectations for Wuhan/Beijing are 2 QFs. Then she'll have 2 weeks off to prepare for Singapore, where she'll be more motivated. It's more important than China. Plus, Darren should be there, and Simona will probably be in the group opposite Serena. So I'd like to see her make the SF at least. And I'm hoping she can win the title. Just look at the list of YEC champions. All except Petra are shoo-ins for the HoF, and she may be too by the time she retires. For Simona's legacy, a YEC title is far more important than Asian Tier Ones.
+1

With on extra comment: while my Wuhan/Beijing expectations are quite low (if she beats Vika again I will celebrate) and I hope (same as her) she'll do well in Singapore, I could settle with an unexpectedly good run (final, or even title) in Wuhan or Beijing, as long as overall she manages to gain at least 1000p in the 3 tournaments (which would translate to either no early embarrassing exit; or a title and no more than 1 early exit).

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Happy birth day Simo :inlove: Hopefully the next year will be a year of joy and happiness for you and us :hug:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Pav shouldn't be a big problem for Simona considering the H2H and the last match .. Simona was very tired and empty and Pav played her best in many times especially serving but still she wasn't smart or strong mentally enough to get advantage of that .. On the other hand it's Simona's first match and usually it's not easy especially against powerful players .. So Simona should be focused and avoid making it a long match ..

61 - 80 of 622 Posts