Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think the WTA is making a mistake in not advertising the younger stars like Clijsters, Henin and Dokic?

By now, everyone knows Hingis, Davenport, the Williamses etc, but how about the younger birgade who are going to take over after these great players decide it's curtains for them (not necessarily saying that's anytime soon).

Clijsters has a fantastic personality, Henin has a beautiful game and Dokic is stunningly beautiful. All 3 are talented tennis players and awesome to watch.

I think the WTA would create more interest by exposing these players to the world, and I think a few of the younger girls will be able to relate more to these youngsters.

How do these players get along? I know Jelena's said she's good friends with Kim and Justine. Elena and Jelena are friends and I heard that the relationship between Jelena and Kim is a lot friendlier than the relationship between Kim and Justine? Is there a pairing they could use to promote tennis?

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
692 Posts
It actually doesnt even worry me. As long as i see soem good action tennis. In the years to come people will know mroe about the players whch they havnt heard about. The wta focses on the major ones, thathave one grandslams, good rankings, prizemoney. In eyars to come we weill ceartinly know more,

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Yeah I totally agree, the WTA needs to promote somebody except Martina, the Williams, JenCap, Davenport and Anna. I'm a big fan of Kim so I think they should promote her a lot more because in my opinion she is the best of the younger players... lucky for Kim though she gets a lot of free publicity from the ATP cuz of Lleyton.

Yeah Kim and Justine don't seem to be that good of friends. They seem a bit cold towards each other... i dunno, maybe it's just me!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
lol... the WTA doesn't even really promote Davenport. They are being very selective about things. :( :mad:

·
Registered
199 Posts
i don't think the wta promotes anyone. venus, serena, martina, anna promote themselves and in promoting themselves, they promote the wta.

it seems to me that you need some special quality to become a media darling or to be promoted by the media. either you win grandslams and/or are really good looking and/or have an interesting personality.

if you have one or more of these qualities, which the ladies and a few more have, then the media will jump on it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
That's true... that's why all the catty comments always attract attention :eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Also, the WTA doesn't promote Amelie Mauresmo the way they ought to. I never see her in any thing...

I think they should have a commercial where the top 10 players are working in a diner out in the desert....venus, martina and monica are waitresses...

jennifer is the angry owner with one tooth..
jelena and justine and Serena are doing a moulin rouge dance on stage.

Amelie and kim and lindsay are at a table playing poker..
something like that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If I had my own way, Don King will be promoting me. Cut the WTA some slack, will you? Can you come up with ideas as to how they should promote players who hardly win any tournaments and who non - tennis fans hardly know about? Do you honestly think that will generate and keep interest in the sport? And I'm going along with your assumption here that the WTA promotes some players. With all due respect, tennis wouldn't command the attention it currently does if not for the players you mentioned. I believe they promote tennis, rather than the WTA promoting them.
We all like our favorites to be well-known. Don't blame the poor WTA if yours aren't.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A4: Players who hardly win tournaments? The young girls have quite a few titles to their names. Justine won Gold Coast, Canberra and Den Bosch last year. Kim won Stanford and Liepzig. Jelena won Rome, Tokyo and Moscow. All pretty large events.

I haven't seen 1 single ad for the WTA here in Australia. There should be ads on TV, they aren't maximising the potential they have to become truly global.

I'm sure the girls wouldn't mind doing commercials, etc.

The WTA has to get OUT THERE!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend of mine, Lali said that at Rg 2001, Jelena and Kim practised together a little bit and seemed very close. Whereas Justine and Kim seemed to be a little distant with eachother.

He said whenever Jelena and Kim passed eachother, they would stop and have good long chats, whereas Justine and Kim would just say hi and keep moving along.

Supposedly, it's meant to be because it's starting to become a Belgian rivalry.

That doesn't mean they don't like eachother, maybe they're just not very close.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think the wta should do something when their players are called bored and without personality only because they are not american that`s discrimination!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
"With all due respect, tennis wouldn't command the attention it currently does if not for the players you mentioned. I believe they promote tennis, rather than the WTA promoting them.
We all like our favorites to be well-known. Don't blame the poor WTA if yours aren't."

I agree with this statement by A4.

I think Hingis, Venus and Davenport have worked SO hard to get where they are, and they deserve the acknowledgement they get. They made a name for themselves, and thats what these girls need to do.

While they may be good players, you cannot expect the WTA to "promote" them, they should go out there, and like A4 said, promote tennis.

BTW, well said, A4!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
destructo_girl: that's exactly it.......they promote the players that a lot of people know. I'm not saying they should stop doing that, but they should start integrating some of the younger and future stars into it. What will happen when Martina, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Jen, Monica, Amelie etc hang their racquets up? Then what is the WTA going to do if people who aren't on wtaworld aren't familiar with the other players?

The WTA should start planning ahead, have long term goals.

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
The WTA doesn't need promoting in its present state.

Once these girls achieve major titles then they will get their own recognition from the people "outside the tennis circle".

In a year or so these players will become household names in their own right.
WTA players come around and stay around unlike the ATP ones who cannot be sure of anyone who may or maynot stick around the top.

The ATP had to promote its "New Balls" players cos they weren't in a good situation marketability wise.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
ILUVJELENA said:
that's exactly it.......they promote the players that a lot of people know. I'm not saying they should stop doing that, but they should start integrating some of the younger and future stars into it. What will happen when Martina, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Jen, Monica, Amelie etc hang their racquets up? Then what is the WTA going to do if people who aren't on wtaworld aren't familiar with the other players?

The WTA should start planning ahead, have long term goals.
But the WTA is NOT promoting the players that everyone knows. They got to where they are now, by their own talent.

And I'm sure that by the time Hingis, Venus, Davenport and Capriati hang their racquets up, Dokic, Clijsters and Henin will have won many events, and made a name for themselves, and will thus get the recognition from the media and the public.

Its a cycle, ILUVJELENA. Good players will be known.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Maybe because their over-promotion of Anna K in 1996/1997 backfired on them so badly. Without the hype, I'm fairly certain she would have won a title by now.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Plus I'm not sure Clijsters, Dokic, Henin and Dementieva will take over from the Williams' sisters, Hingis etc because they aren't that much younger than them. Certainly they'll be competing well with them but the next generation is yet to emerge I feel. Also Dokic has an inflated ranking due to her being one of the few eager to play at the end of last season, but hey she is a good player.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree with TheBoiledEgg.

As if Jelena hasn't been in the media enough as it is. You'd better believe it. She's being promoted. For the good or the bad of the sport.

Kim reaching the RG final and being the girlfriend of the ATP World No. 1? She's definitely being promoted.

Justine, the Wimbledon finalist. You're damn tootin' she's being promoted.

None of them are being ignored. But think of it from the WTA point of view. Who is more likely to get the people's attention right now? Hingis, Capriati, Williams and Kournikova, or Dokic, Clijsters and Henin?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts