Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm glad Car Gar made it.She was spamming thorugh her social media 24/7 for this stuff.She wanted it so much :sobbing:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Expected with that list of nominees but still :no:

I guess you have to lose in first or second round in tournaments to become a "rising star" nowadays... :worship:

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Garcia won't win it ,mark it :lol:

I like all of others and they have big potential,but really they are almost all out of form and didn't have good yr ,so random indeed...

·
Registered
10,139 Posts

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ons' results this year :spit:

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Jabeur :spit:
Zhu :spit:

Jabeur in upcoming weeks is losing 126 points, she won't be even in top 200 anymore :haha: And she is a rising star :haha:

$tacey was a joke, good that she is gone :wavey:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I like all these players but to pick these four seems so random.

Garcia is 21 (about to turn 22), has been in the top 100 for three years with a career high of 25, has competed in 15 Slam MDs, has won a WTA title and has numerous top 10 wins.

Jabeur is 21, has a career high of 118, has competed in 2 Slam MDs and has never won anything above 50K level. I love her game but her career has been beset by injury and poor fitness.

Zhu is 21, has a career high of 107, has competed in 1 Slam MD and has never won anything above 25K level.

Osaka is 17, has a career high of 156, has never competed in a Slam MD (only played her first Slam qualies at Wimbledon this year), has never even won an ITF title and has only played three WTA MDs.

Osaka is still the only one who's risen anywhere in 2015. Garcia has fallen out of the top 30. Jabeur and Zhu were expected to break the top 100 but fell out of the top 150 - I think they'll both get there eventually but 21-year-olds who haven't even cracked the top 100 yet aren't really noteworthy rising stars.

A Rising Star event is a great idea but why is it pitting established top 50 players against ITF journeywomen against teenage not-even-rookies-yet who are four years younger?

It should be a proper event for points (instead of the Zhuhai nonsense) and actually go by the best 8 or 10 teenagers by ranking. Right now the top teenagers in the race are:

13. Belinda Bencic (18yo)
69. Ana Konjuh (17yo)
72. Jelena Ostapenko (18yo)
82. Anett Kontaveit (19yo)
94. Daria Kasatkina (18yo)
102. Katerina Siniakova (19yo)
103. Donna Vekic (19yo)
104. Elizaveta Kulichkova (19yo)
117. Louisa Chirico (19yo)
139. Océane Dodin (18yo)

That field makes much more sense...

·