• Defending Champion Camila Giorgi

Votes: 103 64.4%
  • #9 Seed Emma Raducanu

Votes: 57 35.6%
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Tough R1 for Emma. Giorgi gave Kudermetova a hard time with a 3 setter in R1-SJ. 76, 64, 75. Kudermetova brushed aside Ons Jabeur much more easily 76 62 in the QF.

But I have a feeling Emma will get through this. Win or lose tonight against Samsonova, she'll have faced a big hitter with a big serve so she'll learn how to adjust her strategy against Giorgi.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Is Toronto fast though? From my memory these courts are super slow and make Ostrava and Singapore look like Filderstadt. But I might be wrong..
NA swing uses the lighter balls. In the sun, this can really make the balls fly off the racquet. Can be really good for servers who hit their spots. But lighter balls slow down faster and when it gets humid and the sun sets the balls tend to slow down dramatically making for quite slow conditions. I remember Iga making a bit of a breakthrough in Toronto - that should give you a good idea of the conditions.

·
Registered
Ball Bash City Samsonova Rybakina Yastremska
1,910 Posts
I hope for Sweet Emma's sake that Giorgi sprays enough U/E to her a chance. Today's match with Samso show's how vulnerable Emma is the those hammers down the side. Samso showed some restraint, Giorgi knows no such thing and is see ball hit ball.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Actually a good match-up for Camila.
Giorgi is not amazing against pushers actually, see her recent losses to Kasatkina and Fręch.
Sweet Emma is not that good at pushing though, it's more a byproduct of her weaponless ground game than a reasonable tactic.
Also, fast HC is different than clay/grass.
Still, Giorgi could easily implode and hit herself out of the match.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
This is actually a decent draw for Emma. Camila is far from her last year’s form so Emma should win it IMO. 2nd round is also fairly easy. Looking at all unseeded players in the draw she could have drawn a much tougher opponent.

Reactions: aca99da

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Emma in 3

·
Registered
19,929 Posts
Actually a good match-up for Camila.

Sweet Emma is not that good at pushing though, it's more a byproduct of her weaponless ground game than a reasonable tactic.
Also, fast HC is different than clay/grass.
Still, Giorgi could easily implode and hit herself out of the match.
I'd favour Giorgi to win this match actually.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
22,039 Posts
NA swing uses the lighter balls. In the sun, this can really make the balls fly off the racquet. Can be really good for servers who hit their spots. But lighter balls slow down faster and when it gets humid and the sun sets the balls tend to slow down dramatically making for quite slow conditions. I remember Iga making a bit of a breakthrough in Toronto - that should give you a good idea of the conditions.
Iga stays on your mind! 🤣 We love to see it!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
That's... a bold statement.
Maybe, but I could name at least 10 unseeded players that Emma could meet in R1 who would be more dangerous than Giorgi:

Kudermetova
Rogers
Garcia
Azarenka
Serena
Osaka
Kanepi
Anisimova
Andreescu
Zheng
Kvitova
Rybakina

That's even 12.

Do you disagree with any of my choices?

Also, R2 vs either Mertens or Bondar doesn't look very tough either.

Reactions: comotMN

·
Registered
Ball Bash City Samsonova Rybakina Yastremska
1,910 Posts
Maybe, but I could name at least 10 unseeded players that Emma could meet in R1 who would be more dangerous than Giorgi:

Kudermetova
Rogers
Garcia
Azarenka
Serena
Osaka
Kanepi
Anisimova
Andreescu
Zheng
Kvitova
Rybakina

That's even 12.

Do you disagree with any of my choices?

Also, R2 vs either Mertens or Bondar doesn't look very tough either.
Is Saso seeded?

Edit: Just glanced at the draw for the first time and can't see her there, must have withdrawn.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts