·
Registered
54,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070530.SHOT30/TPStory/Sports

Passing shot

TOM TEBBUTT
May 30, 2007

With an inglorious history of domineering father-coaches and a few Svengali boyfriend-coaches, the WTA Tour is set to introduce background checks for the entourages of its players.

Plans were discussed at a meeting in Paris last Friday and would apply to player support teams - coaches, agents, trainers and family members.

According to a WTA Tour source, the measures are designed to "enhance the safety, security and well-being of the players."

A coach speaking to The Globe and Mail was skeptical, suggesting the best thing the tour could do is increase its prize money to the levels of the men's tour so players could afford to hire coaches who are not family members, boyfriends or girlfriends.

·
Art & Futures
20,874 Posts
this could be good and bad for the players

good = less crazies
bad = more drama when the crazies get caught

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Long over due, but I'm wondering just how extensive those background checks will be? :confused:

Different countries have different legal systems so may be unwilling to cooperate with a predominately US based company and a commercial one at that.
Plus it appears to have little power except banning people from tennis tournaments, so why should they cooperate?

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
i also see this as being very hard to enforce. sure they keep them out of restricted areas but ultimately they can't ban people unless they do something obvious.

I'm also struggling to think of anyone Patty would know who would pass a background check :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts