Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely :(

Imagine all the Top players being healthy and playing. WTA would be amazing :worship:

But now? :sad:

Serena injured again. Venus out with illness. Sharapova injured too - and she has never been the same since her shoulder injury (Doha 2008 was her last really strong performance). Another injury for Petkovic. Safina and Szavay out injured - maybe they will never come back. Myskina, Kournikova and Golovin had to retire way too early because of injuries. And many more ...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It's true and it's been the biggest problem for about 10 years.

But is Serena really injured? She hasn't withdrawn right?? I thought the ankle sprain was not that bad...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Definitely :(

Imagine all the Top players being healthy and playing. WTA would be amazing :worship:

But now? :sad:

Serena injured again. Venus out with illness. Sharapova injured too - and she has never been the same since her shoulder injury (Doha 2008 was her last really strong performance). Another injury for Petkovic. Safina and Szavay out injured - maybe they will never come back. Myskina, Kournikova and Golovin had to retire way too early because of injuries. And many more ...
Golovin didn't stop cause an injury, but due to a genetic problem. Imo, it's better to separate illness and injuries.

Justine also retired due to an injury...Kim, Lindsay Davenport, list is so long....

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's true and it's been the biggest problem for about 10 years.

But is Serena really injured? She hasn't withdrawn right?? I thought the ankle sprain was not that bad...
Even if Serena can play the AO, I doubt she will be anywhere near 100% because of this injury. To me the ankle sprain looked serious, she could hardly move. And there is not much time to recover for Serena. Also she needs more match play. In order to beat Li, Kvitova, Clijsters and Azarenka Serena must be at 100% - and with her movement now not 100% it means basically no AO title for her :(

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Well it's a sport so expect the players to get injuries. Many of them are playing right now with ongoing nagging issues.

·
Registered
35,929 Posts
Yes. Definitely.

The question is why? It's not just older players or younger players. Not just lithe players or not-so-fit players. It's all over the place. Yet it doesn't happen on the ATP to the same extent. Yet these women aren't playing against men so I don't see sex as a factor. In other sports women don't have a disproportionate rate of injury.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Golovin didn't stop cause an injury, but due to a genetic problem. Imo, it's better to separate illness and injuries.
I always thought Golovin stopped because of chronic back problems. Like Kournikova :scratch:

Justine also retired due to an injury...Kim, Lindsay Davenport, list is so long....
Yeah, unfortunately the list is very long. Tulyaganova too. And A-Bond is lost since her injury :sad:

·
Registered
18,134 Posts
To me it comes down to the fact that every court in slowed down to the same fucking speed no matter the surface making for long, grinding rallies. Combine that with the technology of the rackets and you have disaster.

To say it doesn't happen on the ATP is foolish - look at Nadal, Djokovic, del Potro, Gonzalez, Haas...they've all had injury problems.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. Definitely.

The question is why? It's not just older players or younger players. Not just lithe players or not-so-fit players. It's all over the place. Yet it doesn't happen on the ATP to the same extent. Yet these women aren't playing against men so I don't see sex as a factor. In other sports women don't have a disproportionate rate of injury.
The game has become very physical challenging the last years :(

Men are built different compared to women, more muscles and stronger bodies :shrug:

·
Registered
35,929 Posts
To say it doesn't happen on the ATP is foolish
Indeed. However to say that it doesn't happen to the same extent on the ATP is valid. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts