Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On the same day that Madrid is also now under threat.

Just cancel the rest of tennis in 2020 already!

·
Registered
927 Posts
The tournament can go on but not sure it's morally right that players could be spreading the disease by travelling to a location and then giving a positive test.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The tournament can go on but not sure it's morally right that players could be spreading the disease by travelling to a location and then giving a positive test.
True - it’s literally a lose lose situation.

If other players have caught it from the unnamed player then clearly even with the bubble system this is not going to work.

What if the player had entered doubles and was practising with her doubles partner? 😬

·
Registered
11,297 Posts
Multiple NBA players have tested positive for coronavirus over the last few weeks and were able to recover in time to compete against their fellow NBAers...testing positive doesn't even mean you're necessarily sick, you are most likely just an asymptomatic carrier. Tennis is actually much more safe than a physical contact sport like basketball, so what's all the fuss about really?:confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
It´s not a big deal, there will be positive tests, every sport competition has them. The thing is, In team sports you just change the player and problem solved. With individual sports is more difficult. Formula 1 is already having that issue and it´s a small group of drivers. You can make tennis players withdraw, but if a small women´s only tournament in an almost coronavirus free zone has a positive player, logic says there will be more cases in bigger tournaments like the Us Open with 300+ players travelling from all over the world. Let´s hope there aren´t, though.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Multiple NBA players have tested positive for coronavirus over the last few weeks and were able to recover in time to compete against their fellow NBAers...testing positive doesn't even mean you're necessarily sick, you are most likely just an asymptomatic carrier. Tennis is actually much more safe than a physical contact sport like basketball, so what's all the fuss about really?:confused:
For me the fuss is more about the potential risk athletes could be spreading to those who fall into the more vulnerable health category - the world has lost so many lives to this virus already. Nobody wants to see the death toll increase when more measures can be taken to avoid / mitigate this risk.

Equally I want tennis back so as a fan, a NHS professional, and having had covid-19 myself back in March I feel very conflicted with my thoughts and opinions on this.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Do you work for WTA or something? You seem to take every negative comment about tennis' return very personally.

People are trying to earn a living. Tennis careers are short, and to lose an entire year (or even more, because re-start in '021 is far from guaranteed if no more events are held this season) is a disaster. When i see these hysterical posters here who themselves suffer no ill effects whatsoever from shutting down tennis, and are only indulging their cancellation fetishism, it greatly annoys me. The current situation is manageable, 1 or 2 positives doesn't change this. Of course, if 20 players test positive and some actually get sick with the COVID, i would be proven wrong. But the rules the tournaments have put in place are designed to prevent that.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
People are trying to earn a living. Tennis careers are short, and to lose an entire year (or even more, because re-start in '021 is far from guaranteed if no more events are held this season) is a disaster. When i see these hysterical posters here who themselves suffer no ill effects whatsoever from shutting down tennis, and are only indulging their cancellation fetishism, it greatly annoys me. The current situation is manageable, 1 or 2 positives doesn't change this. Of course, if 20 players test positive and some actually get sick with the COVID, i would be proven wrong. But the rules the tournaments have put in place are designed to prevent that.
It's fair enough to be concerned about the financial impacts of players, particularly those who are ranked lower and depend on tennis to survive. However, economic recovery depends on the health impacts of covid being kept in check. Cities that re-open too early and have high case numbers will not have a financially sustainable future. Expressing these concerns does not equate to "cancellation fetishism". I would so love for tennis tournaments to go ahead but I'm also wary of the risks.

I think it's great that the Palermo tournament has caught this positive case early and minimised the risk of this player infecting others. That is a good sign that they have the right measures in place. However, it depends on everyone doing the right thing. The potential for covid-positive people to spread it to others is a genuine concern. There is still much about this coronavirus that is not yet known. There are reports about the longer-term damage this thing can cause and for pro-athletes this could be the difference between the top tier vs lower tier performance. Even Dimitrov is struggling after testing negative. Due to all these grey areas areas, and based on the cases we see on a global scale, cancellation of tennis tournaments is maybe the responsible thing to do depending on the unique circumstances of each city. There's no need to jump down everyone's throats for pointing out these concerns.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
There are going to be some positives. That is why you test. It doesnt mean you shut down a tournament. Let that player go home and test her before her next tournament

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Palermo Ladies Open player tests POSITIVE for coronavirus

It seems it really is Tomova.

"Top seed and world number 18 Petra Martic of Croatia reacted to the Tomova news saying 'it's unfortunate. I know they kept her in the room and she hasn't had contact with anyone which is really important. That definitely helps you feel safer.'
Speaking of herself Martic added: 'I'm excited, it's a privilege to be back. I wouldn't say I've had anxiety but I've kept my distance from people so well that if I got it on a plane it would be really bad luck. That was a concern I've had. But you have to decide for yourself. I feel like even in the airport there aren't that many people and those that are there don't like being close to you.'"

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
If everyone would have followed what Carlos Silva did and how he ran WTT, I'd feel a lot safer.

Tiafoe caught it BEFORE he got to West Virginia, irresponsibly traveled to there, was tested again, still had it and was booted.

Danielle was kicked out for the season for breaking protocol that Carlos set. I doubt every tournament director/organizer will be this efficient.

While we may never know when this goes away completely, to rush back into things only to have some posters in this thread say "There are going to be some positives. That is why you test" and "it's not a big deal. There will be positive tests" and to be that naive is as irresponsible as the players who have it.

As for the above exchange, for like only the second time ever, I agree with @Daydreamer

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
Palermo Ladies Open player tests POSITIVE for coronavirus

It seems it really is Tomova.

"Top seed and world number 18 Petra Martic of Croatia reacted to the Tomova news saying 'it's unfortunate. I know they kept her in the room and she hasn't had contact with anyone which is really important. That definitely helps you feel safer.'
Speaking of herself Martic added: 'I'm excited, it's a privilege to be back. I wouldn't say I've had anxiety but I've kept my distance from people so well that if I got it on a plane it would be really bad luck. That was a concern I've had. But you have to decide for yourself. I feel like even in the airport there aren't that many people and those that are there don't like being close to you.'"
Yes. It is confirmed that Tomova was the one that tested positive.

·
Registered
17,870 Posts
I think a player who is already at the tournament site testing positive proves that there are not yet processes in place to properly address restarting professional tennis. As we've been repeatedly told, the virus doesn't impact everyone the same way so while a majority may not have to worry about long-lasting health issues or death, it doesn't mean that we can be so cavalier about what the standards should be.

For me, and I understand this is quite extreme, until there is an efficient virus, we need stricter policies. So for an event like this, everyone who wants to participate should have gotten a negative test result in the day they left their homes for Palermo. They should be arriving in Palermo and put under strict lockdown for two days to go through another round of testing before they're allowed to practice or use the facilities. This to prevent the possible spread of the virus. Yes, this will make each tournament longer, but better that than sick people running around or no tournaments at all.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Ok a player tested positive. So what? If they follow all the protocols, the possibility of a wider spread should be minimal. Time for you to get used to this new situation or you can forget about tennis for the next couple of years.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts