Stanford
San Diego
Baku
Dallas*

*16 players draw in 2011

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
i never understand when Q draws have loads of byes why low ranked girls dont fill them and have a shot at earning some points.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
Traveling costs?
i guess but some girls seem so scared to ever leave the ITF tour and at least try their hand at qualies.

·
Registered
55,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i never understand when Q draws have loads of byes why low ranked girls dont fill them and have a shot at earning some points.
They obvioulsy do if they are on site. The thing is byes are caused to very last minute withdrawals so most of the times is at the very moment of making the Q draw that there are still spots to be filled. That's when "doubles players only" are invited to join the draw :lol:

Another reason are the strict rules from ITF so even if players know there are going to be lots of withdrawals they just cannot withdraw from an ITF to play a WTA. That happened last year at WTA Barcelona when lots of local players were supposed to play in $10K Vic MD (located in the province of Barcelona) from Monday but they saw how the qualy draw ended up having some byes while they weren't allowed to play. I saw some of these players watching the qualy matches form the stands that weekend :facepalm: To make things worse, there was even a bye in the doubles MD that would have given any of these low ranked players good $$$ and a lifetime experience to play a WTA MD :facepalm: :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
28,048 Posts
Baku is OK but why Budapest and Bad Gastein?:confused: It was a perfect opportunity to some lower ranked players to play WTA tournament + those tournaments always come with such a random results. It´s not like those tourmanets had an empty draw, hopefully it´s just because of this year´s schedule and they will be back with 32 Q draw next year.

·
agradecería con alegría que me comierais la ñocla.
17,776 Posts
Many players also prefer to play a 25K instead, where winning two matches gives them nearly as many points as getting through two rounds of qualifying of an International WTA tournament :help:

·
Registered
55,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many players also prefer to play a 25K instead, where winning two matches gives them nearly as many points as getting through two rounds of qualifying of an International WTA tournament :help:
Nearly as many? They actually give you more points :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts