Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In a WTA and ATP merger, the ATP would probably totally dominate the WTA.
The women broke away from the ATP when they were receiving about 1/20 the prise money.
The only positive might be the eliminating of some duplicate management overhead costs.

·
Registered
112,690 Posts
Thats what Larry Scott wanted as WTA CEO. He saw how well IW & Miami were and wanted the whole year to be joint events with equal money.
The men dont want that

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
of course they want that, because then the women could demand the same money as the men get at all tour events (not just the Grand Slams & joint events) based on the principle of sexual equality. Merging with the ATP would be a huge cash cow for the WTA. I kind of doubt that this would be a marriage of true love though.

·
Registered
81,318 Posts
2020 and times of #metoo and WTA wants to hang on ATP Tour :lol:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nope wta should remain as one. Billie jean king and future players fought so hard for women tennis and this will be like slap on their faces.
Better to promote new players and upcoming stars to public and tv audience for boost. Look how atp successfully promote their young players. Atp will never agree to share the money with wta. And hard fact is atp brings more money. Why should they share it with wta .? Will wta share yec money with atp? Nope..
So wta should remain different and market wta players better. And it will never happen. Most atp players will never agree to share prize money outside slams. Wta needs to fight their problems by themselves

·
Registered
81,318 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Not sure what they'd gain from that. The WTA is doing just fine on its own. Maybe they could push for a few more joint tournaments, especially trying to unify at all Masters-level events. But merging the tours doesn't seem workable, or a good idea.

·
Registered
81,318 Posts

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
There would be a lot of benefits to this.

ATP just does so much more better than the WTA.

I’m not scoffing at this. I don’t think prize money or rights would come under attack or take a step back.

And I would be curious to hear push back on the ideal from other women.

There has been this “anything you can do I can do” vibe for a while.

This should be seriously looked at.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts