Tennis Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
It's difficult to separate tennis players from their political beliefs if you take an entirely different stance. Yes, it's important to accept that people have different views and not immediately cast them aside for that reason. However, I think it's one thing to support someone like:

George Dubya: not the sharpest tool in the shed but made up for it by entertaining us with all the dumb things he said: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/13747.George_W_Bush

... versus
Trump:
- dodgy businessman conman: https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/trump-university-its-worse-than-you-think
- corrupt in mind and behaviour (allegedly): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/jun/15/how-donald-trumps-inner-circle-could-bring-him-down-video
- white supremacist apologist: https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/donald-trump-white-farmers-south-africa-tweet-racist_us_5b7e5253e4b07295150fc749
- misogynist, perpetrator of sexual assault (allegedly): Donald Trump Accusers: Women Who Alleged Sexual Misconduct | Time. It's wrong of me to judge someone guilty when the jury isn't out but how about that admission: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/us/donald-trump-tape-transcript.html

Supporting the first option is no biggie and I could agree to disagree. But supporting the second is akin to advocating hate (imho)... I really wouldn't be able to compartmentalise the person as tennis player from the person who is the supporter of Trump. Unless you are a hybrid of Steffi, Serena and any one of the Martinas there's no way. Just my admittedly biased opinion.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
Supporting the first option is no biggie and I could agree to disagree. But supporting the second is akin to advocating hate (imho)... I really wouldn't be able to compartmentalise the person as tennis player from the person who is the supporter of Trump. Unless you are a hybrid of any one of the Martinas there's no way. Just my admittedly biased opinion.
Trump would never be elected if churchgoers did not vote in record numbers

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Lol @ those pretending political beliefs are somehow off-limits in supporting players when we support players for all sorts of mundane, personal reasons that have nothing to do with their actual tennis. Of course a player's political views can affect how you perceive them. Thing is Donald Trump is no ordinary politician. It's one thing to judge a player just for being a conservative who supports, say Rubio or Kasich. It's another thing pretending we can't judge fervent supporters of a highly divisive, proto-fascist, borderline white-nationalist, hate-monger in Trump, a man afflicted with so many repulsive pathologies, his fans could only possibly like him for the troll value to those they hate rather than any coherent political ideology.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
There is nothing religious about Trump but somehow the vast majority of churchgoers can see he is on a mission. Saying some hate about moslems goes a long way and covers a multitude of crimes

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Well then, she's a misinformed idiot who more than likely mismanaged her wealth and that's in addition to coming from a wealthy family. I doubt her Dad was on Obamacare and died because they didn't cover his treatments.
Jennifer was a tennis player before anything else, but she is no Andrea Petrovic, and has always been immature although she has grown up a far bit from how in the book "Ladies of the court" it was said that when you went to her post match press conferences you could count the "you knows".

As far as I know Jennifer has always had her money managed by others so I don't think it was a money issue, however I think for some reason she was under impressing Obamacare was going to cure her dad's cancer.

Grief effects people differently and in many cases people can act irrational when in a state of grief. Jennifer clearly had her career cut short due to injury and seemed to be closer to her dad than other family members so the grief hit her hard as it does for many people when they lose a loved one.

·
Registered
19,470 Posts
Hate to disappoint you but this place is pretty much dead. Dont know what drama you see

There was a player I unfollowed because she thought its a good idea to fill her social media with putin. Also gave a history lesson that Crimea is Russian territory. Fk that im not going to have sports people give me a history lesson that is all wrong. Dont show all your fans how ignorant you are getting all your info from state tv. Thats like Johanna Larsson tweeting that Greenland belongs to Sweden
Ups, we should bury it then.

It means we are ghosts. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Lol @ those pretending political beliefs are somehow off-limits in supporting players when we support players for all sorts of mundane, personal reasons that have nothing to do with their actual tennis. Of course a player's political views can affect how you perceive them. Thing is Donald Trump is no ordinary politician. It's one thing to judge a player just for being a conservative who supports, say Rubio or Kasich. It's another thing pretending we can't judge fervent supporters of a highly divisive, proto-fascist, borderline white-nationalist, hate-monger in Trump, a man afflicted with so many repulsive pathologies, his fans could only possibly like him for the troll value to those they hate rather than any coherent political ideology.
I am not saying that political beliefs should be off-limits when considering who to support. I objected to the immediate reaction that "if X supports Trump, I'll cross her out from my favorites list" that some posters displayed here. This could be a factor in liking a player, but it's too much when it becomes a litmus test. I dislike that Halep crosses herself after matches or that Wozniacki is to an extent vain and blingy in her clothing and jewelry choices, but I don't let these be the deciding factors in my support.

There is a demonization of Trump supporters. Some of them might be fascists or xenophobic, but a lot of them are simply conservative and/or misinformed about global economics. They yearn for a world that doesn't exist anymore, thinking (mistakenly in most cases) that they had a better life in the old days. They react to the elites from whom they are disconnected, and they build their alternative facts on the internet. They really aren't that different from the Brexiteers, or the Italians who voted the current government, or those that voted Podemos in Spain, or a part of Sanders' voters. In a poll just before the recent convictions of Trump's campaign manager and fixer, 40% of Americans approved of him as president. It is naive to label all Trump supporters as the lowest of human beings.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I am not saying that political beliefs should be off-limits when considering who to support. I objected to the immediate reaction that "if X supports Trump, I'll cross her out from my favorites list" that some posters displayed here. This could be a factor in liking a player, but it's too much when it becomes a litmus test. I dislike that Halep crosses herself after matches or that Wozniacki is to an extent vain and blingy in her clothing and jewelry choices, but I don't let these be the deciding factors in my support.

There is a demonization of Trump supporters. Some of them might be fascists or xenophobic, but a lot of them are simply conservative and/or misinformed about global economics. They yearn for a world that doesn't exist anymore, thinking (mistakenly in most cases) that they had a better life in the old days. They react to the elites from whom they are disconnected, and they build their alternative facts on the internet. They really aren't that different from the Brexiteers, or the Italians who voted the current government, or those that voted Podemos in Spain, or a part of Sanders' voters. In a poll just before the recent convictions of Trump's campaign manager and fixer, 40% of Americans approved of him as president. It is naive to label all Trump supporters as the lowest of human beings.
I was not referring to your comment at all, but a couple of other posters. Neither have I labeled anyone's supporters the "lowest of human beings".
I consider myself tolerant of opposing views (I listen to figures like Jordan Peterson conservative columnists like Ross Douthat and David Frum are among my favourites), but in my opinion, any effusive supporter of Trump deserves demonization. In the first place, embracing Trump means one at least tacitly endorses his demonization of "others". A great many in the MAGA world love Trump because he trolls the "libtards" and "makes their heads explode". Always been puzzled why getting the hate back seems surprising to many.

I can only speak for myself when I say a player supporting Trump would certainly influence how I view them. Anyone that can see that repulsive human's actions and utterances and the real world consequences for many American residents of his divisiveness and fear-mongering bigotry, and still think that is worthy of reverence and support.......well...I'm not gonna lie that I wouldn't think less of them. And comparing Trump supporters with Sanders supporters seems a false equivalence.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
I agree more with @RVilkas than @Sheriff. But I have a question to you both? But first of all to explain the background:

My sister lives in the States. She's pretty left wing. She would never vote Republican. So I was pretty sure I knew what she thought about the horror of Trump getting elected. Her son and daughter (18 and 17) are even more anti Trump than her.

About 5 years ago she remarried. I recently just found out from them that the person she remarried to who I also like very much - he was always asking questions about the UK and looking up things he didn't know - but he is a very very pro Trump supporter.

The son and daughter were rolling their eyes when they described his views but the whole family get on great. The views not the person. Their is no malice to each other. There is no question they are going to come to blows because they hold such different views. And they limit talk on politics to each other because they get on great. They hate what he supports and I guess vice-versa.

They are mature and sensible enough to not let that damage anything and it is a strong marriage. If their is the slightest hint of the children straying into criticising him personally for his views as opposed to his views when he is not around - my sister clamps down on it and defends him.

I'm proud of them as a family.

My question is: Would you be able to do that or would you divorce?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I agree more with @RVilkas than @Sheriff. But I have a question to you both? But first of all to explain the background:

My sister lives in the States. She's pretty left wing. She would never vote Republican. So I was pretty sure I knew what she thought about the horror of Trump getting elected. Her son and daughter (18 and 17) are even more anti Trump than her.

About 5 years ago she remarried. I recently just found out from them that the person she remarried to who I also like very much - he was always asking questions about the UK and looking up things he didn't know - but he is a very very pro Trump supporter.

The son and daughter were rolling their eyes when they described his views but the whole family get on great. The views not the person. Their is no malice to each other. There is no question they are going to come to blows because they hold such different views. And they limit talk on politics to each other because they get on great. They hate what he supports and I guess vice-versa.

They are mature and sensible enough to not let that damage anything and it is a strong marriage. If their is the slightest hint of the children straying into criticising him personally for his views as opposed to his views when he is not around - my sister clamps down on it and defends him.

I'm proud of them as a family.

My question is: Would you be able to do that or would you divorce?
It's conjecture that I believe has no real chance of happening. I'm in my 20's and no one I could ever possibly get married to could ever be "very, very pro-Trump". She could be a conservative in the sense of being fiscally conservative or socially conservative (certainly not racist). To be "very, very pro-Trump" you either have to actively endorse or deliberately ignore his pathologies, which means on a personality level, we're quite simply never likely to get along. Politics does matter a lot to me because it has real consequences for real people. If you're telling me that a guy that I should be able to normalize a guy that rose to national political prominence through ugly, racist birtherism about Obama, and who kicked off his campaign calling Mexicans criminals and rapists ("....and some I assume are good people") and who calls countries like mine in an immigration meeting "shitholes" while calling for more Norwegians to whiten up the immigrant base, it's hard for me.

I understand for many, none of this matters. There are some of us for who the stakes are a little higher and the corrosive effect Trump has on public discourse is harder to ignore. I would need to understand why someone supports Trump to get along with them. If your "cultural anxiety" is the prime driver of your support, then you were never really likely to even like me.:lol:

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Trump spews a constant stream of misinformation and abuse. For someone to support him shows they are either stupid or hate the facts. He is the ultimate evolution of the republican politician to the point where sound bites and pr image are all that matter

:haha: I have never seen in my life a liberal arguing using facts. Not once, just feelings. It is pretty narrow minded accusing Trump for misinformation when 85% of the mainstream media + Hollywood campaigned hard for Hillary. Get a pill

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Trump spews a constant stream of misinformation and abuse. For someone to support him shows they are either stupid or hate the facts. He is the ultimate evolution of the republican politician to the point where sound bites and pr image are all that matter
5K€ that you say and believe women can have penises (only, inb4 hermaphrodites).

41 - 56 of 56 Posts