Tennis Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Yes. It is clearly going to be at least a year before any sort of vaccine is introduced. But if a medicine that helps those who have the virus recover more quickly and prevents at least a substantial percentage of deaths could be introduced in the next 3 or so months that would be a Godsend. And from what I've been reading it is a realistic possibility. That said, I don't think we should put all our hopes on it as a given anymore than we can be confident when the weather gets warmer the virus will stop spreading. These are wonderful, hopeful ideas but everyone needs to prepare for the worst and then if things turn out better.... thank God (figuratively anyway) for that.

But yeah, while I am emotionally preparing myself for the worst, I am also crossing my fingers tightly so effective treatment will be introduced reasonably soon.
Indeed, as that would mean the collapse of Health Systems could be avoided. I've talked with two very good doctors, for totally unrelated matters, this week. One, who's closer to the issue, was moderately optimistic and believes new treatments will be available quite soon and the heat will help to stop it (though there's no actual proof, as it is a new virus) and by mid-June we could be half-functioning.The other was more gloomy, which worried me, because she's normally a very measured and composed person, and thought this won't be moderately fixed until well into the summer, and if so. Both agreed it will be back by November in Europe, though I hope goverments will be prepared and will have learned from their mistakes. This time massive tests for the population and instant isolation and monitoring of each case to avoid uncontrolled clusters should be the priority. South Korea has proved there's a way out of this nightmare without collapsing the country's economy, but its population has shown a degree of responsabilty, civility and compromise to follow the goverment's measures that is sadly lacking in Spain or Italy.

·
30,815 Posts
yup, just like the fact that regular flu kills wayyy more people every single year despite us trying to fight this old bugger for decades and centuries now, yet no one is even suggesting a thought of quaratines and lockdowns during the flu season...way more people die from all kinds of cancer too, yet I don't see any proposal to isolate all smokers from us who prefer healthy way of living our lifes. What makes this particular virus different from any other way more dangerous disease then? It can't be just because it's "new" and "unknown" though - HIV and Ebola were novelties back then as well, yet no one executed a total shutdown of normal life like it's a freaking WW3...so I still wonder, what gives here
What a load of crap!

Regular flu kills 0,1% of the people it infects and coronavirus kills 2%. How is that hard to understand? Absolute numbers are what they are, percentages are what matters in death rates. That's 20x times more! How is this so hard to understand really????

Now imagine everyone gets this "flu" like the regular flu, so 20x times more people will be dying. So, we should do nothing and go on with our regular lifes? When there's are many obvious solutions to contain this (vaccines, drugs, quarantine, social distancing, etc.)

Furthermore, do you know anything about Ebola? How many people were infected with it and the efforts that were and are made every year to stop new outbreaks from happening? Also the comparison with HIV is ridiculous, a huge majority of the people that have HIV had behaviours (unprotected sex) that resulted in that. How can you compare that to people walking in the street catching a virus and having 2% of dying from it.

Please pick up a book!!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts