Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
You seem to assume that ALL tennis players fit this model. You have to remember that the ITF calculated (when they redid the tour a couple of years ago) that only the top 150 or so singles players of each sex were actually able to make a living playing the sport. That's 300 (maybe 400, if you include the top 50 or so doubles-only players) out of a total of 6,000+ on tour. The rest will be straight into debt, just like everyone else with an "ordinary" job.
Yes. Obviously I’m talking about the most prominent players (those inside top 100) only. For those lower-ranked players this probably pose a great crisis to them. Unable to properly train, contemplating whether to fire their team, no income, etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes. Obviously I’m talking about the most prominent players (those inside top 100) only.
Then why not state that to start with? I wouldn't argue with that scenario at all.

For those lower-ranked players this probably pose a great crisis to them. Unable to properly train, contemplating whether to fire their team, no income, etc.
I doubt that too many players ranked outside the top 150 or so would be able to afford a "team" in the first place, especially if the ITF's calculations are correct. Unless they use their parents, as a lot of the younger players do, most would be lucky to have a part-time coach that they see occasionally and video-chat with when they need more help. As for anything else, like a travelling physio or mental skills coach - no chance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Then why not state that to start with? I wouldn't argue with that scenario at all.

I doubt that too many players ranked outside the top 150 or so would be able to afford a "team" in the first place, especially if the ITF's calculations are correct. Unless they use their parents, as a lot of the younger players do, most would be lucky to have a part-time coach that they see occasionally and video-chat with when they need more help. As for anything else, like a travelling physio or mental skills coach - no chance!
I hear that some lower-ranked players do share a physio between players so they pay half for them. That complicate things even more.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I hear that some lower-ranked players do share a physio between players so they pay half for them. That complicate things even more.
Sure, but I would guess that the vast majority will just use a local person and hope that they can afford it. A travelling physio would be way beyond the financial capabilities of pretty well all players. A first round main draw singles loss in an ITF 15K is only worth $156 for men and $147 for women, and a first round doubles loss is $54 for men, but only $37 for women - not even enough to cover the entry fee. There is no prize money at all for qualifying draws in the 15K events, so any woman who loses before the first round of the main draw is financially stuffed.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
In Italy 97% of those that died due to Covid-19 were over 60 y/o.
What the US and Europe should do is give everybody over 60 y/o $2,000 to pay their bills and mandate that they should self quarantine, except for getting food.. The people under 60 y/o would go about their normal business, such as, the drunk college kids partying in Miami
Of the 1,000 cases of Covid-19 in the USA 99% were classified as mild.
Exactly. If you or anyone in your household is above 55, and/or have a comorbodity (autoimmune disease, cancer, COPD etc) stay home and self quarantine. Govt should provide relief for such households.
If all members of your household are younger than 55, with zero comorbodities, keep on keeping on. They will get infected, vast majority will ride it out with no hospitalization needed, while building herd immunity.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
About the herd immunity, the problem is that, especially with a new virus, there's no reliable data to know for how long the immunity will last. Tests with animals have proved that they don't get reinfected with covid-19. Great, but for how long ? it could be years, hopefully, but it could be only months, though the reinfections would be less severe and the patients less infectious. The most urgent thing would be to have an effective anti-retroviral drug so the most servere cases will need less days of recovery in a hospital and the big majority of cases wouldn't even need to be monitored and hospitalized and will cure themselves at home with just a prescription, helping to the relief of the health system. Also it seems the mortality rate could be lower than we believe. It ranges from 0,5% in South Korea to 8% in Italy, but South Korea, a country who has managed this crisis so brilliantly, has made massive tests to the population, key to control the pandemy, and their stats are much more realistic, unlike Italy and Spain, where probably tens of thousands of people with mild symptoms, or even asymptomatic, have gone or are going through coronavirus undetected. I really hope we could have such drug in a matter of months.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
About the herd immunity, the problem is that, especially with a new virus, there's no reliable data to know for how long the immunity will last. Tests with animals have proved that they don't get reinfected with covid-19. Great, but for how long ? it could be years, hopefully, but it could be only months, though the reinfections would be less severe and the patients less infectious. The most urgent thing would be to have an effective anti-retroviral drug so the most servere cases will need less days of recovery in a hospital and the big majority of cases wouldn't even need to be monitored and hospitalized and will cure themselves at home with just a prescription, helping to the relief of the health system. Also it seems the mortality rate could be lower than we believe. It ranges from 0,5% in South Korea to 8% in Italy, but South Korea, a country who has managed this crisis so brilliantly, has made massive tests to the population, key to control the pandemy, and their stats are much more realistic, unlike Italy and Spain, where probably tens of thousands of people with mild symptoms, or even asymptomatic, have gone or are going through coronavirus undetected. I really hope we could have such drug in a matter of months.

In Poland only people with possible symptoms get tested right now, but many people esp. those working in healthcare request to be tested routinely too but it is to no avail.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The death rate for women is about half that of men.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Over 100 people die every day in auto accidents. With people staying home the greatest death toll reduction could be in auto accidents.
Just pointing out the fact that you're pulling numbers out of your arse

And since you are bringing up deaths from auto accidents, did you know that the number of deaths from auto accidents (and any other kind of accidents or illnesses) will also increase if we go about our business as usual and coronavirus patients take all the ICU beds?

Most countries have an inadequately low number of hospital beds and doctors per capita, let alone intensive care beds. And that, sir, is the biggest issue here.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
Yes. It is clearly going to be at least a year before any sort of vaccine is introduced. But if a medicine that helps those who have the virus recover more quickly and prevents at least a substantial percentage of deaths could be introduced in the next 3 or so months that would be a Godsend. And from what I've been reading it is a realistic possibility. That said, I don't think we should put all our hopes on it as a given anymore than we can be confident when the weather gets warmer the virus will stop spreading. These are wonderful, hopeful ideas but everyone needs to prepare for the worst and then if things turn out better.... thank God (figuratively anyway) for that.

But yeah, while I am emotionally preparing myself for the worst, I am also crossing my fingers tightly so effective treatment will be introduced reasonably soon.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
That's in the U.S. alone. Worldwide, it's more like 3,000 deaths a day from traffic collisions.
yup, just like the fact that regular flu kills wayyy more people every single year despite us trying to fight this old bugger for decades and centuries now, yet no one is even suggesting a thought of quaratines and lockdowns during the flu season...way more people die from all kinds of cancer too, yet I don't see any proposal to isolate all smokers from us who prefer healthy way of living our lifes. What makes this particular virus different from any other way more dangerous disease then? It can't be just because it's "new" and "unknown" though - HIV and Ebola were novelties back then as well, yet no one executed a total shutdown of normal life like it's a freaking WW3...so I still wonder, what gives here

·
33,287 Posts
In Poland only people with possible symptoms get tested right now, but many people esp. those working in healthcare request to be tested routinely too but it is to no avail.
This seems to be a serious issue in many countries, sadly. Frankly anyone who is working in healthcare right now, virtually anywhere in the world, is contributing a great deal to society as well as putting themselves and those closest to them at considerable risk. I think it is absolutely the least governments all over should be able to do, for the health and safety of medical staff, those who are close to them and of course those who they assist, that all people working in healthcare should be allowed regular covid-19 tests. This is for the good of not only medical staff but patients as well. It is absolutely crazy that governments aren't doing this.

·
33,287 Posts
yup, just like the fact that regular flu kills wayyy more people every single year despite us trying to fight this old bugger for decades and centuries now, yet no one is even suggesting a thought of quaratines and lockdowns during the flu season...way more people die from all kinds of cancer too, yet I don't see any proposal to isolate all smokers from us who prefer healthy way of living our lifes. What makes this particular virus different from any other way more dangerous disease then? It can't be just because it's "new" and "unknown" though - HIV and Ebola were novelties back then as well, yet no one executed a total shutdown of normal life like it's a freaking WW3...so I still wonder, what gives here
It's way more contagious for one thing. Look at what is happening in Italy right now. Without countries enforcing strict restrictions, that could be happening all over the world right now.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts