Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Data from Italy about 2 days ago, which has a large number of Covid -19 cases and deaths.
People in Italy under 30 y/o that have died from the virus --- ZERO.
and that tells you all you need to know about the mass hysteria around this virus - it's just another strain of flu and just like a regular flu it kills elderly sick fellows with many underlying health concerns...someone is probably getting very rich because of all this chaos and disruption of normal life...

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Again, the issue with this pandemic is not that people under 70 are going to start to massively die, we should know by now that is not going to happen, though still some young people (30-45) WITHOUT underlying pathologies are dying too. The real issue is the collapse of the health system first, and worldwide economy following, due to the millions and millions of people that could be infected in a very short spam of time because the virus being so awfully highly infectious. The national health systems simply lack the logistic resources to deal with such situation.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Allegedly the virus causes long term lung damage and reduced lung capacity in some of the recovered patients. That would be devastating to an athlete's career.
This terrifies me. The majority of us are all going to get this virus.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Again, the issue with this pandemy is not that people under 70 are going to start to massively die, we should know by now that is not going to happen, though still some young people (30-45) WITHOUT underlying pathologies are dying too. The real issue is the collapse of the health system first, and worldwide economy following, due to the millions and millions of people that could be infected in a very short spam of time because the virus being so awfully highly infectious. The national health systems simply lack the logistic resources to deal with such situation.
EXACTLY. And it infuriates me that people refuse to recognise this.

It truly is a privilege to be healthy that most people just take for granted. If you have good health, you never think about health. That is not the case for millions of other people.

This whole attitude of "LOL I'm not gonna die cuz I'm young and healthy haha I'm still gonna go out and live my best life YOLO just wash your damn hands and shut up!!!111" just shows how little empathy healthy people have. Health can be taken from you in a SECOND with no warning at all! These people who have underlying health issues did not know they were going to get sick and none of us know what kind of issue we might discover in our own bodies tomorrow.

I am in mostly good health, but I had an unexpected medical issue and required urgent surgery this week. The nurses I spoke to were very, very concerned about what this virus is going to do to them and also to other people without coronavirus who have to have medical treatment for other issues. I have to have at least one more surgery in a few weeks and I'm actually really scared that I won't be able to get it done if the hospitals fill up as predicted.

And on top of that, I have read multiple stories of fully healthy people in their 20s and 30s getting very, very, very sick with coronavirus. Coughing up blood, pneumonia, going into comas, requiring ventilators...this is no joke.

I have nurse friends in other countries who have told me that they are crying on their shifts and the situation is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than we think it is.

So while the majority of us will survive, including tennis players, to act selfishly about it and ignore the very real risk it poses to tennis players and to the rest of us - even if we don't literally die - is to be incredibly ignorant about how the healthcare system works and selfish af to your fellow human beings, especially the ones who already have a hard time surviving.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This terrifies me. The majority of us are all going to get this virus.
As far as I can see all the people who got lung damage were those that had fairly severe cases requiring hospitalization and intensive care. I don't think there is anything to suggest that those with mild or asymptomatic cases, what most people will get, get lung damage.

(not saying not to take the virus seriously or anything)

·
Registered
855 Posts
and that tells you all you need to know about the mass hysteria around this virus - it's just another strain of flu and just like a regular flu it kills elderly sick fellows with many underlying health concerns...someone is probably getting very rich because of all this chaos and disruption of normal life...
You STILL don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter that younger people are less likely to die - THEY CAN STILL PASS IT ON TO SOMEONE (FAR) LESS HEALTHY THAN THEMSELVES, WHO IS FAR MORE LIKELY TO BE SEVERELY AFFECTED - OR DIE. This virus is WAY more deadly than the "ordinary" flu, because it can survive in the air and on surfaces for much, much longer, meaning that there is far more risk of someone catching it even if the contaminating person has long since left the immediate area.

And, in case you're too dense to notice, the mortality rate from this "flu" is multiples higher than from any other strain. I sincerely hope that you, your family and friends all avoid it, so that you don't have to find out first-hand just how deadly it could be.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dude, shut the fuck up. You have no idea what you are talking about. You are doing an absolute disservice from spreading blatant misinformation and just trying to downplay the severity of this whole thing. I've seen you consistently post about how thing is just "media hype" for the past month, even as it's only gotten worse and worse. F*ck off!

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
EXACTLY. And it infuriates me that people refuse to recognise this.

It truly is a privilege to be healthy that most people just take for granted. If you have good health, you never think about health. That is not the case for millions of other people.

This whole attitude of "LOL I'm not gonna die cuz I'm young and healthy haha I'm still gonna go out and live my best life YOLO just wash your damn hands and shut up!!!111" just shows how little empathy healthy people have. Health can be taken from you in a SECOND with no warning at all! These people who have underlying health issues did not know they were going to get sick and none of us know what kind of issue we might discover in our own bodies tomorrow.

I am in mostly good health, but I had an unexpected medical issue and required urgent surgery this week. The nurses I spoke to were very, very concerned about what this virus is going to do to them and also to other people without coronavirus who have to have medical treatment for other issues. I have to have at least one more surgery in a few weeks and I'm actually really scared that I won't be able to get it done if the hospitals fill up as predicted.

And on top of that, I have read multiple stories of fully healthy people in their 20s and 30s getting very, very, very sick with coronavirus. Coughing up blood, pneumonia, going into comas, requiring ventilators...this is no joke.

I have nurse friends in other countries who have told me that they are crying on their shifts and the situation is MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than we think it is.

So while the majority of us will survive, including tennis players, to act selfishly about it and ignore the very real risk it poses to tennis players and to the rest of us - even if we don't literally die - is to be incredibly ignorant about how the healthcare system works and selfish af to your fellow human beings, especially the ones who already have a hard time surviving.
I empathize with you, my friend. I had a sudden and very serious health issue 8 years ago, and I know that if that had happened to me now CV could easily kill me due to the treatment I had to go through. Since then I know that health can go away at any moment, regardless of how young or strong you might feel. Just a sudden lump you feel when waking up, a drenching night sweat (my case), a weird dizziness, and it could be over.

All the things you say I totally feel. My parents are elderly and both have underlying pathalogies. Today my mother got really ill, my father phoned me home, where I am working, and I had to call an ambulance, and they basically ignored me because they are collapsed and they had over 200 calls waiting (I am living in Madrid...) I got upset and told them angrily she could easily die (she was hardly conscious) and what was I supposed to do then. They told me they understood but could do nothing. Finally we got a doctor visit her home through a private health insurance, but the situation is that if you get really ill or have an accident, you could literally be left to die. That is coronavirus. And people still fail to see it. I had to have a scan made and it was cancelled, the same as all non-urgent procedures, but we know it's really life or death situations we are talking about, and sometimes not even that.

Here, the days before the lockdown, young people were CROWDING the bars and streets, as schools and universities were cancelled, and instead of staying home they partied. They just didn't give a fuck because CV is an "old geezers" virus. They just don't see, or care, that they become carriers and can kill older people when they spread it, or that they, or their parents, could have an accident and being left unattended, or get sick and suddenly they are the ones inside the critical target area. I was carrying the shopping to my parents the other day, wearing a mask and gloves, and a gang of them, they were at most 20, actually mocked me, and as much as I abhor violence, I was tempted to turn around and smash their faces (I've been practicing boxing/kick-boxing at good level for years) it was so frustating and enraging,

I just hope things won't be as bad in Australia as they are here and that you are OK.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Serena, with her history of pulmonary embolism, is another player who I really hope does not get this.

I mean, obviously I hope none of them do, but I would be very anxious about her.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
This virus is WAY more deadly than the "ordinary" flu, because it can survive in the air and on surfaces for much, much longer, meaning that there is far more risk of someone catching it even if the contaminating person has long since left the immediate area.
So far most of the experts say otherwise. That virus isn't aerial and doesn't stay active after 5 to 15 minutes on the most resilient surfaces. If you stay distant from other persons by at least one meter, and wash your hands regularly, you won't catch it. No chance to breathe it in the air, you only get it from infected persons who touch you, cough or sneeze towards you, or if you touch something they touched right after them. All the rest is denied by the majority of experts.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Please avoid the error of blaming young people. In my city the first case was a woman who was sent to hospital. Her husband kept visiting her, refused to test and refused to stay put. After the justice obliged him to test (and it was positive) he still refused to cooperate and don't say who he met and where he went. They are both old.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
So far most of the experts say otherwise. That virus isn't aerial and doesn't stay active after 5 to 15 minutes on the most resilient surfaces. If you stay distant from other persons by at least one meter, and wash your hands regularly, you won't catch it. No chance to breathe it in the air, you only get it from infected persons who touch you, cough or sneeze towards you, or if you touch something they touched right after them. All the rest is denied by the majority of experts.
🤦

It can live on surfaces for up to 2-3 days. And you can be contagious long before you have any symptoms. This is what makes it much more contagious and dangerous than the flu.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Except that even the experts' opinions are changing day by day as more information comes to light. This is in today's New Zealand Herald:

The graphic relating to virus survival times is towards the bottom of what is quite a long story.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
Except that even the experts' opinions are changing day by day as more information comes to light. This is in today's New Zealand Herald:

The graphic relating to virus survival times is towards the bottom of what is quite a long story.
That the virus stays present doesn't mean it's still infectious. It's a debate of experts. Yes, experts themselves learn everyday but instructions are given to avoid that virus. To spread panic in saying the virus lives for hours in the air and lives for days on surfaces without certitude is bad. If we know that avoiding direct contact with people, staying distant from them, washing hands regularly and not touching one's face, just works to not spread that virus, that's enough.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
In Italy 97% of those that died due to Covid-19 were over 60 y/o.
What the US and Europe should do is give everybody over 60 y/o $2,000 to pay their bills and mandate that they should self quarantine, except for getting food.. The people under 60 y/o would go about their normal business, such as, the drunk college kids partying in Miami
Of the 1,000 cases of Covid-19 in the USA 99% were classified as mild.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
The people under 60 y/o would go about their normal business, such as, the drunk college kids partying in Miami

And then pass on the disease to people 60+ when the quarantine ends?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tennis players would normally be very high-risk of catching the virus due to frequent travelling and sharing lockerrooms, but now with both tours on halt I don’t see them being in risk at all. Moreover, they would most likely be able to afford getting tested once they have any symptoms so timely treatment is not a problem.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tennis players would normally be very high-risk of catching the virus due to frequent travelling and sharing lockerrooms, but now with both tours on halt I don’t see them being in risk at all. Moreover, they would most likely be able to afford getting tested once they have any symptoms so timely treatment is not a problem.
You seem to assume that ALL tennis players fit this model. You have to remember that the ITF calculated (when they redid the tour a couple of years ago) that only the top 150 or so singles players of each sex were actually able to make a living playing the sport. That's 300 (maybe 400, if you include the top 50 or so doubles-only players) out of a total of 6,000+ on tour. The rest will be straight into debt, just like everyone else with an "ordinary" job.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That the virus stays present doesn't mean it's still infectious. It's a debate of experts. Yes, experts themselves learn everyday but instructions are given to avoid that virus. To spread panic in saying the virus lives for hours in the air and lives for days on surfaces without certitude is bad. If we know that avoiding direct contact with people, staying distant from them, washing hands regularly and not touching one's face, just works to not spread that virus, that's enough.
The chart is quite clear that those times are worst-case scenarios, which is why they've included the half-life expectancies on the various surfaces. Fingers crossed that I won't have to worry about catching it. So far, all except a couple of cases in New Zealand are people (all of whom, I think, are returning residents) who have flown in from overseas, and the remainder are family members of a couple of those originally infected.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts