Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a common theme in many threads that there are no consistency in the WTA tour, particularly in the top 20. (Apart from Iga). Badosa recently said anyone in the top 20 can beat anyone and frustrating to fans, there does not appear to have any rivalries.

My question is, why do you think this is? Is it the pandemic? Changes to media on how they portray the WTA tour, therefore less potential talents going into tennis?

Or it's actually good to not have dominate players?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
There seem to be a common theme in many threads that there are no consistency in the WTA tour, particularly in the top 20. (Apart from Iga). Badosa recently said anyone in the top 20 can beat anyone and frustrating to fans, there does not appear to have any rivalries.

My question is, why do you think this is? Is it the pandemic? Changes to media on how they portray the WTA tour, therefore less potential talents going into tennis?

Or it's actually good to not have dominate players?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Not sure why but tennis seems kind of boring to me right now. If you aren’t a huge Iga fan there isn’t that much to see really. The top 10 is dreadful. Ons has looked good the past few tournaments as well.

There are some good matches each tournament but it just all seems so random.

I used to live and breathe WTA tennis but feel pretty meh about it right now. I wish I could be more excited and into it but maybe I’m just an outlier and other fans are loving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46,446 Posts
They basically all are the kind of players that were ranked between 14 and 35 in the world 20 years ago.
It lacks the big names to put order into this. Bar Swiatek.
It would be quite interesting to see how the likes of Farina-Elia, Likhovtseva, Dechy, Serna, Smashnova and co. would perform on today's tour.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not sure why but tennis seems kind of boring to me right now. If you aren’t a huge Iga fan there isn’t that much to see really. The top 10 is dreadful. Ons has looked good the past few tournaments as well.

There are some good matches each tournament but it just all seems so random.

I used to live and breathe WTA tennis but feel pretty meh about it right now. I wish I could be more excited and into it but maybe I’m just an outlier and other fans are loving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm with you. The wta tour has become such a mess in recent years, it's pretty sad. My advice : watch the ATP tour. Definitely not boring.

·
Registered
119,290 Posts
This is something been discussed here plenty. A few years ago the top players would win a lot of titles
Check their career records. Sharapova, Wozniacki and Halep won about 100 titles. Also Radwanska, Svitolina, Azarenka, Kvitova
This is a new thing with the players who were good 2010-2018 getting older and all these Sabalenka, Sakkari, Kontaveit, Badosa all seem so fragile
Swiatek makes it looks easy and everyone else makes it look impossible

Reactions: FelixLeo

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is something been discussed here plenty. A few years ago the top players would win a lot of titles
Check their career records. Sharapova, Wozniacki and Halep won about 100 titles. Also Radwanska, Svitolina, Azarenka, Kvitova
This is a new thing with the players who were good 2010-2018 getting older and all these Sabalenka, Sakkari, Kontaveit, Badosa all seem so fragile
Swiatek makes it looks easy and everyone else makes it look impossible
I see it mentioned in most threads but not a specific one (I tried searching for one). It's probably buried somewhere in the forum. Why do you think there is this drought? Why are the current tour seem so fragile?

·
Registered
Leylah Annie Fernandez
23 Posts
Because we're playing in the strongest WTA era. What used to be strength in the old days, now is standard. Now the girls No. 30, 50 can do a lot. In the old days of Paul Badosa, with her strength and talent, she would be a finalist and winner of the Grand Slams. 4R and Q would be the stages in which she would only start running on the court and not be eliminated. It's much harder now.

·
Registered
119,290 Posts
They are not good mentally. Look at Sakkari yesterday, the week before she was up a set vs Kasatkina and lost the last 2 sets 63 61
Its new to me. I've never seen so many top 5 players who dont win titles
Never been so many ordinary players winning majors
Stephens, Ostapenko, Kenin, Raducanu.. Its a huge advantage to be a new face facing these mentally soft veterans

·
Registered
334 Posts
We're in the midst of a once-in-a-decade streak. I think Iga is fantastic. She'll become a great sportswoman, too -- give her time.

As for the rest of the field, we await the player who can play with Iga. I don't think it will be Serena. I'm having my doubts about Naomi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The WTA is strong. The fitness and training now are better than ever. Players compete from every country in the world. The physical nature of today's game requires peak fitness. Players can break down with injury from too many hard matches. I think we won't see players emerge that can win as many grand slams as Serena.

When so little separates the players physically, the mental aspect comes into play more. Players with a good team and a good attitude, like Iga, do well in this environment. Players with weak teams and/or weak mental approaches (Osaka, Kenin, Raducanu, Stephens come to mind), will be very inconsistent.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't think this is necessarily the truth, the big finals this year were (2/1)Iga versus (7)Kontaveit, (4)Sakkari, Osaka, (4)Sabalenka, and possibly (7)Jabeur. This means all these finals were matches against top 10 players and one showing of Osaka, who's not exactly 'anyone in the top 40 that could have a good run'. Kinda looks like an extremely consistent performance by the top 10...

·
Registered
Iga Swiatek
613 Posts
All the current players have obvious weaknesses, be it technical, physical or mental, so none of them are good enough to win consistently. Those who come out with the excuse that there is depth and that the level is even between players are deceiving themselves. Iga and Ash are the best example, once someone levels up they destroy the competition 6-0/ 6-1/ 6-2. On the men's tour there is more depth.

·
Registered
119,290 Posts
mens is all consistency. Even slamless players like Zverev and Tsitsipas and Rublev are usually deep into draws
women side, people go goofy trying to rationalize it
Kontaveit is not consistent because some of the many times she loses early, another top 10 is in the final. That doesnt make these players consistent
They are wildly inconsistent and rarely win a title

·
Registered
544 Posts
mens is all consistency. Even slamless players like Zverev and Tsitsipas and Rublev are usually deep into draws
women side, people go goofy trying to rationalize it
Kontaveit is not consistent because some of the many times she loses early, another top 10 is in the final. That doesnt make these players consistent
They are wildly inconsistent and rarely win a title
It's the way youre just talking out of your ass, it's actually funny to look at.

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

Want another one ? here you go :

Font Number Rectangle Circle

Font Number Circle Rectangle

Please have a seat.

·
Registered
119,290 Posts
Sakkari has one title, age 26
Badosa 3 titles, age 24

Reactions: jimbo mack
1 - 20 of 79 Posts