Tennis Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Access to websites blocked by the High Court here in the UK - now that is something I have never seen before!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I've never been so excited about the Palermo entry list 😂 Keeping everything crossed that it goes well and that there are no more cases.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Sad for Lesia given her injury history, and for Tomova, because that must be so annoying - reach the venue, prepared to play, feel fine, and then bang, removed from out of nowhere - but I suspect we'll be seeing that a lot going forward. However, although we can't actually see it, I was wanting a Kostyuk-Samsonova Q2, and that potential path has opened up a fair bit now, as both faced near 50/50's originally.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
It could be, but it's more favourable on paper for Marta. Tomova actually opened as a slight betting favourite last night, but then Kostyuk came in a little this morning and she was then the narrow favourite, but Seguel is over 3/1 at some places (although that's not as big as I thought it would be).

·
it's just me against the music.
27,245 Posts
Stupid Q that may be address elsewhere - what about false positives? Are the players who come up positive being tested a second time just in case?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stupid Q that may be address elsewhere - what about false positives? Are the players who come up positive being tested a second time just in case?
I don't think that's necessary, PCR is very specific. What worries me more is how long Tomova will be banned from playing. Depending on PCR sensitivity some patients test positive for months even when they are no longer infectious.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
why does play start at 4PM, meaning that there is still tennis being played at 2AM? surely it’s better to be playing during the day rather than after midnight

·
Registered
665 Posts
why does play start at 4PM, meaning that there is still tennis being played at 2AM? surely it’s better to be playing during the day rather than after midnight
Because Palermo is in Sicilia. And in Sicilia, between June and September, the sun burns really bad!
It's really cool to play between 12PM and 2AM, while it'a almost a crime to play before 4PM!
Daily temperature in Palermo (July-August): 30-35°C
Nightly temperature in Palermo (July-August): 22-26°C ...it's easy to see when there are the best conditions to play!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Nobody should be playing at anywhere near 2 am. I don't know about yesterday but, to even get a midnight finish today, you would need an average of two and a half hours per match (including changeover, court dressing and warm-up time) because there are only four matches on each court. The longest on the first day was 2 hours 45 between Bonaventure and de Vroome. There was one at 2 hours 32 (Bolsova v Delai) and one at 2 hours 8 (Juvan v Frech). Most of the rest were under an hour and a half, and the quickest took less than an hour.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts