Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
53,814 Posts
Love how some 125k events are better organized than main tour events.

Every match streamed, awesome.
Plus entry to the event is FREE which is extremely rare in the US where even some $15K charge $$$ for the later stages of the tournament :worship:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Newport Beach Tennis Club
2601 Eastbluff Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

thanks, i didn't realize that's the venue... I took lessons there as a kid... brings back some memories. They had a bunch of great old-school Australian coaches. Wonderful place to play, surprisingly un-snooty.

·
Premium Member
66,166 Posts
Watched Santamaria/Christian last night and I gotta say well done to their college coaches for transforming two such basic players into an NCAA winning team. :worship: Their tactics are flawless as they are centered around Santamaria hitting forehands from the baseline and Christian volleying. These two shots are practically the only thing they have close to WTA level and without them they'd struggle to win in 10ks probably. It's a breath of fresh air seeing a team playing actual doubles with tactics and not two players playing singles with someone else on their side. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,839 Posts
Watched Santamaria/Christian last night and I gotta say well done to their college coaches for transforming two such basic players into an NCAA winning team. :worship: Their tactics are flawless as they are centered around Santamaria hitting forehands from the baseline and Christian volleying. These two shots are practically the only thing they have close to WTA level and without them they'd struggle to win in 10ks probably. It's a breath of fresh air seeing a team playing actual doubles with tactics and not two players playing singles with someone else on their side. :rolleyes:
So true and glad to hear they are maintaining that winning strategy from college. I would also say that Santamaria has a decent serve, but agree on all of your other points and that the forehand and volleys are by far the weapons. It would be fun to see them carve out a nice little doubles career for themselves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Claire Liu and Amanda Animisova are quite mentally brittle and it worries me - it's almost expected for both to choke even in matches that they win. Claire was up 6-2 4-1 (and had chances to win every game in the 2nd set), and Amanda was up 4-1 in the first set and serving. Pleased for Mayo Hibi though!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
CrossCourt, when do qualies start? Saturday or Sunday?
I think Saturday, but I could be wrong...
According to this page, it's Monday:

Schedule of Play
Please Note: Play begins daily at 10 am unless otherwise noted.

Monday, January 21 – Play begins at 9:30 am
ATP Qualifying + Singles First Round
WTA Qualifying + Singles First Round

Tuesday, January 22
ATP Singles First Round, Second Round + ATP Doubles
WTA Singles First Round, Second Round + WTA Doubles

Wednesday, January 23
ATP Singles Second Round + ATP Doubles
WTA Singles Second Round + WTA Doubles

Thursday, January 24
ATP Singles Third Round + ATP Doubles
WTA Singles Third Round + WTA Doubles