Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for some players at the wta site and I think it's interesting, and surprising in some cases.

Daja Bedanova: Helena Sukova
Kim Clijsters: Sabine Appelmans
Elena Dementieva: Leila Meskhi
Jelena Dokic: Pam Whytcross
Daniela Hantuchova: Martina Navratilova
Anna Kournikova: Kathy Rinaldi
Lina Krasnoroutskaya: Jana Novotna
Mirjana Lucic: Martina Navratilova
Amelie Mauresmo: Karine Quentrec-Eagle
Anastasia Myskina: Katerina Maleeva
Justine Henin: Virginia Ruzici
Martina Hingis: Chris Evert
Anne-Gaelle Sidot: Catherine Suire
Serena Williams: Zina Garrison
Venus Williams: Pam Shriver

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,480 Posts
Thanks for the list Fingon, I see there's a few newer players with mentors now including my second favourite Daniela Hantuchova :) I remember at Wimbledon Martina commented on how impressed she was with Daniela's game having hit with her at Eastbourne for a bit. I hope that Daniela uses this opportunity to really gain a lot of knowledge from Martina, especially in working towards developing her serve and volley potential. She's got the tools, but working with Martina a bit could really help her to work on making the transition to net more comfortably. Also, when someone that great says such good things about you, I'd certainly imagine it'll only help her belief even more. :)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Wow, thanks for the list... I didnt know Maritna had a new mentor, if I knew she was Martina's mentoree, Id have supported hantuchova even more against Venus...

Cool, I have new player to suport!! Goooo Daniela!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks for the list, so is it a requirement for the Mentor to pick the Mentee to win each slam?
Doesn't Chrissy always pick Martina? I hope Chrissy didn't pick her for the AO because I think she has a solid chance of winning.

·
Premium Member
181,859 Posts
Youmg players that are inside the Top 100 are assigned Mentors that are a bit like them personality wise or in language.

thats why Navratilova is no longer Lucic's mentor as she hasn't been in top 100 for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Do the players keep their mentors for their entire careers? Because it seems like some of those girls have already adjusted really well to life on the tour.

Interesting to note that Jelena Dokic's mentor is one of the Australian Open directors.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's important to notice that the mentors are not coaches. Their purpose is to help young player to adapt to the tour life, they have to use their experience to advice them, specially how to handle the press, the pressure, etc.

It really has nothing to do with the game itself, surely if Navratilova is Daniela's mentor she can give her some tips, but her job isn't to teach her how to play tennis.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Fingon - I know, but it's not inconceivable that Martina N, who knows the importance of a good volley, might have advised Daniela to play doubles, or might have noticed that she had a strong volley and told her not to be afraid of using it. And Daniela's real coach would have probably picked up on this.

Or, there might be no connection. Whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts