Discussion Starter #2
V.Williams 1st ALT to MD
Niculescu 1st ALT to Q

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Quite smart move by Teichmann!
She is the defending champion both in Palermo and Prague, that will be played in August, and taking advantage of the current rule, that keeps the ranking points at least until the end of the year, has entered the only tournament were she can gain points!

Apart Jil Belen, the line-up of non US players is surprisingly good: Sabalenka, Konta, Muguruza, Putintseva

·
Registered
113,565 Posts
Looks good! They need to get started and this draw seems quality

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Where is Kenin?

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Premium Member
62,837 Posts
Jil and Viky :)

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Venus is playing as announced on their Twitter, so probably MDWC if she doesn't get in directly.

Good field overall! IMO better list than Prague

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Did Rybakina withdraw? I thought I saw a post on here saying she had entered along with the likes of Sabalenka, Anisimova etc. the other day?

Nevermind, I see she's in Prague instead.

·
Registered
31,161 Posts
She is the defending champion both in Palermo and Prague, that will be played in August, and taking advantage of the current rule, that keeps the ranking points at least until the end of the year, has entered the only tournament were she can gain points!

Apart Jil Belen, the line-up of non US players is surprisingly good: Sabalenka, Konta, Muguruza, Putintseva
Savage of Teichman, and somewhat risky/admitting low confidence since theoretically she should play well at the two European tournaments since she managed to win them last year. But definitely crafty and could pay off in the long term. Seems especially shady though that (or if) she can manage to keep her Prague points while playing another event the same week.

Venus Williams not making direct entry into an International level tournament is… wow. These are exceptional circumstances and I'm sure someone will withdraw, but still…

I'm glad to see Vika on the list but not expecting much after her Monterrey horror show and Charleston not being much better.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

smart in theory but in reality she'll probably lose first round on a US hardcourt with a decent field. sure she may have lost some points defending her titles but I'd dare say she was much more likely to go deep on clay courts and then would have had more confidence going into the revised clay swing.

·
Registered
15,477 Posts
Players are not losing points this year, the only thing is that the same tournament can not count twice. So Jill ´s schedule doesn’t really matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What seems weird is WTA Prague (and Palermo), which is literally only Europeans in both the MD and QD. I wonder how often that's happened before on the WTA..
Weird? It is usually like that in these summer WTA tournaments on clay so this year, being the USO just a couple of weeks away from Prague final and difficulties for players to flight long distance it is more than logical that all players are Europeans. What it would be weird is to see Americans or Japanese this year in these tournaments...

Reactions: StephenUK

·
Registered
180 Posts
Weird? It is usually like that in these summer WTA tournaments on clay so this year, being the USO just a couple of weeks away from Prague final and difficulties for players to flight long distance it is more than logical that all players are Europeans. What it would be weird is to see Americans or Japanese this year in these tournaments...
It is not usually the case that every single player in these summer clay events are from Europe, in fact I couldn't find a single example of it after doing a cursory look through the last couple of years. Yes, these summer clay events are usually predominately European but not exclusively so like they are this year*. It is weird even if we all know why it's weird.

My point was mainly that @TheArtist is wrong in claiming that this event is unusually American dominated. No one would bat an eye at the national composition of this entry list if we saw it pre-COVID whereas an astute person would notice the oddity of WTA Palermo and Prague* entry lists being exclusively European.

*Bouchard just got a wild card to play Prague.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts