Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just what does it take to become a top female tennis player?

That’s the core question at the heart of ‘It Takes,’ the first global marketing campaign of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) since 2015.

Based on an idea by boutique brand experience agency Stevie & Fern in St Petersburg, Florida, the WTA asked more than 140 players, ranging from those in the lower ranks to rising talent and established stars, including US Open and Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka of Japan, about the main driving forces that helped to turn them into the elite athletes and women that they are today.

“We worked very closely with players and tournaments, because ‘It Takes’ is about their own identity,” WTA president Micky Lawler said in an interview.

“No two players are the same. What drives them? What does it take for them? There will be common factors, of course, but it is a very individually-tailored campaign.”

The player-led, multi-season campaign will launch on May 13 across the WTA’s digital channels, social media platforms, Tour events, and broadcast, the women’s tour said.

‘It Takes’ is the WTA’s first global marketing campaign since “Power to inspire” in 2015.

“In the past, global campaigns have fallen flat a little bit. Now, with the investment that we have made in our digital footprint and really focusing on marketing more than the top players and top events, and really taking a 360-degree fully inclusive approach, we believe that the time was right, and that we’ve got an opportunity to build something bigger, and better.”

When asked what made ‘It Takes’ stand out from previous marketing efforts, Lawler said: “We asked every player, and every tournament, ‘What does it take to be you? Who are you?,’ and that gave the campaign real authenticity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniellerossingh/2019/05/12/wta-launches-first-global-marketing-campaign-in-four-years-it-takes/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
Interesting player choices for each of those buzzword :scratch:. Halep has a lot of energy but always seems to look exhausted, Naomi Osaka just jumped straight to the top out of nowhere at a very young age so I don't know what persistence they're talking about, Karolína Plíšková is a good fighter I guess but has one of the least intense/"fighter" demeanors, and Stephens plus will power do not belong in the same sentence :tears:.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Only Halep is right. Do these marketers actually watch the game?
Halep-grinder
Osaka- young superstar shaking things up
Pliskova- steel focus
Sloane- artist that can have moments of brilliance

·
Registered
31,087 Posts
Strong Is Beautiful was such a hot mess but that's the only campaign of theirs I can even remember :sobbing:. The last one featured eight players and Bouchard was one of them :spit:.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
WTA actually trying to market their tour? And the campaign isn't based on players' looks? I'm shocked!

Reactions: LadyLil and Wiggly

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It takes...Sloane's dimple.
For some reason, my eye homes in on it every time I look at the image, lol.
If you suddenly can't unsee it, you're welcome.

·
Registered
113,486 Posts
I thought they might use Kerber. But this looks promising

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There is a glaring gap here. Where is Sabalenka, Barty, Bencic, Svitolina and Andreescu? They are the newer generation of established players. Pliskova and Halep are staples, but it’s time to step it up, share the load and shine a light on the newer generation.

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
:happy: The one and only, Jelena Jankovic

I thought spotlight would be the word for her :eek:h:

Honestly I feel those words are actually telling these players what they need rather than what they have.

It takes energy - Simona Halep - runs out of energy in finals
It takes persistence - Naomi Osaka - she gave up quite easily in some matches
It takes fight - Karolina Pliskova - the AO v. Serena yes, Dubai v. Hsieh no
It takes will power - Sloane Stephens - Often times her face on court is I don't want to be here...

Reactions: The Dark Blue

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I love how JJ is glammed up in evening wear while the other players are in their tennis kits. So far it's the only headline that perfectly matches the player :lol:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts