Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19,524 Posts
From 2014:
Would have loved Na to win this one and possibly claim the title here..

but happy for Flavia to take it in the end [ : hug : Aga ]
That was a pretty awful match from Li actually, made over 10 DFs trying an improved serve (but I guess that's not bad relative to Ostapenko numbers lol). Good on Pennetta for making it through after being beaten comprehensively at the AO, perhaps helped that Li struggles a bit with slower night conditions sometimes.

I did enjoy that edition though, Li played a really nice ballstriking match against Zheng Jie, you could see just how much Zheng struggled with Li's clean accuracy and weight of shot (and Li's footwork was fantastic). Match against Wozniak got a bit dramatic towards the end and the Pliskova one was nice and showed what Pliskova might be capable of in the future (but almost her limitations)

·
Registered
19,524 Posts
Of recency, Venus and Jankovic 2017. I went to the airport to pick up someone when Jankovic seemed to have it in the bag and was surprised to see Venus won the match when I returned.

Halep Jankovic was also pretty dramatic for a final in 2015

I enjoyed the first Serena-Niculescu affair. Serena had to adjust big time.

From past, 2007 had some really good matches.
Kuzzy vs Vaidasova for example:

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That was a pretty awful match from Li actually, made over 10 DFs trying an improved serve (but I guess that's not bad relative to Ostapenko numbers lol). Good on Pennetta for making it through after being beaten comprehensively at the AO, perhaps helped that Li struggles a bit with slower night conditions sometimes.

I did enjoy that edition though, Li played a really nice ballstriking match against Zheng Jie, you could see just how much Zheng struggled with Li's clean accuracy and weight of shot (and Li's footwork was fantastic). Match against Wozniak got a bit dramatic towards the end and the Pliskova one was nice and showed what Pliskova might be capable of in the future (but almost her limitations)
Think Na hasn't fared well in night matches - AO 2013 final :hysteric: ?
Na vs Jie: always enjoyed these two with their Estoril final being one that's well remembered.

Jelena-Venus: 2017 was like the last year we saw Empress play some fine tennis and Venus with her AO and Wimbledon finals and reaching YEC.. ? ? ⏰

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

This was fun, super routine for Martina in 1st set, Super tight 2nd

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

I think this was the only time Martina and Lindsay played in Martina's 2006 comeback, this was a fun match! Davenport had been #1 just a few months prior.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Sharapova def. Hingis, 2006 semis

It was 3 and 3 for Pova but the match was anything but routine. Some insane rallies

Last Hingis highlights! But you brought up this match and yes, it was crazy good, despite being a str8 setter.

·
Premium Member
28,038 Posts
For me this is an easy one to answer... Hantuchova vs. Kuznetsova 2007 final...I didn't follow tennis when Daniela won her first title there, so her second final wins for me.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
For me this is an easy one to answer... Hantuchova vs. Kuznetsova 2007 final...I didn't follow tennis when Daniela won her first title there, so her second final wins for me.
It was such a great run by Daniela. On tennisforum there was a campaign on her subforum called "We want the whale back" and eventually she got it. Her match vs Peer in QF was epic.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,207 Posts
Venus vs Jankovic in 2017 was pure absurdism but a fitting end to their great rivalry.

Dementieva's match against Henin in 2006 was typical of those athletic slug-fests that Dementieva was famous for throughout 2004-07. A huge upset at the time and unusual to see Henin relinquish such a huge lead.

That said, IW has never really produced that many classics. The conditions are always quick-sand speed and when it gets windy, it's basically a case of players trying to get the ball in the court at any cost.

·
Premium Member
38,340 Posts
Feisty Svitty! 🙂

Full match already posted above, below are the highlights of this exhausting battle. Enough to prove clowns wrong for calling her "Basiclina".

21 - 40 of 56 Posts