Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big announcement on WTA intranet front page:

Once a player has been accepted into a main or qualifying, a player may not withdraw from that tournament to play another Tour or ITF event in the same week. If a player is discovered at any time to have violated this rule, the player shall forfeit any ranking points received from the other event in which she played and will be subject to late withdrawal fines.

Is Lauren Albanese the first victim? A quarterfinalist last week in Johannesburg she hasn't received any points in this week's rankings :confused:

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ITF also gets serious about the swine flu :help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE – MEXICAN TOURNAMENTS CANCELLED
Following a decision by the Mexican Government to suspend all non-essential work from 1-5 May inclusive due to the outbreak of swine flu, the upcoming ITF Women’s Circuit tournaments in Mazatlan and Los Mochis, scheduled for the weeks of 11 and 18 May respectively, have now been cancelled. Players currently accepted for Mazatlan, the week of 11 May, will be permitted to sign-in as an On-Site Alternate at any other tournament that week. Players currently entered for Los Mochis, the week of 18 May, will be entered into another tournament in accordance with the order of priority system (players who have already withdrawn themselves from all other tournaments that week or who only entered Los Mochis will be permitted to sign in as an On-Site Alternate at any other tournament that week).

·
Registered
54,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this is not a new rule but I believe WTA hadn't been acting so far. Looks like they are getting really strict now :eek: :worship:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
79,840 Posts
I don't get it. :unsure:

So, If I am in a X tourney MD, I can't withdraw and play Y tourney with a WC? Or how? :unsure:
Yes. Once you are accepted into a main draw or qualifying you can´t withdraw to play another tourney.
Example: Dulgheru was offered Bucharest MD wild-card, but she was forced to refuse, since she was already in Estoril qualifying.

·
Premium Member
66,177 Posts
Yes. Once you are accepted into a main draw or qualifying you can´t withdraw to play another tourney.
Example: Dulgheru was offered Bucharest MD wild-card, but she was forced to refuse, since she was already in Estoril qualifying.
But for example if Alex was given the wildcard on Wednesday while Estoril began friday and she was in the Q list - She couldn't withdraw from Estoril and choose Bucharest?

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
Albanese was on the qualy list for Fes and main draw Jo-berg.

Even though she was in Jo-berg main draw BEFORE she moved into Fes qualies, WTA rule makes it clear the WTA event takes precedence. So, as soon as she decided she would play Jo-berg, she should of withdrawn from Fes alternates list.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
surely this must factor in their preference rankings too, e.g if they get into MD of their 2nd preference they can't go and play their 3rd preference

·
Premium Member
66,177 Posts
Another question :unsure: If I commit to a WTA and an ITF -> The lists come out, I am in Q in the WTA and MD in ITF. I want to play the ITF, do I have a bit of time to choose or just cause I commited to the WTA and was directly in it I can't just go play the ITF?

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I think you would have untill the withdrawl deadline to choose which event to choose.

·
Registered
24,996 Posts
Wow, that's tough. Surely the players must have been informed of this before they made their travel arrangements, right?

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
Wow, that's tough. Surely the players must have been informed of this before they made their travel arrangements, right?
its up to you to know the rules

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Bullshit. :eek: So a player can't choose to play an event that they are guaranteed to play in the MD in over one they would have to qualify for, even if they withdraw before the withdrawal deadline? That's ridiculous. So will Dokic not get any points in Bucharest?? She was accepted into Rome but withdrew, right?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm just getting my head around this because people are saying lots of different things.

When it says 'Once you are accepted into an event' this means once the withdrawal deadline has passed? Yep?

If that's what that means, I can completely see the logic in what they're doing.

If that's not what that means, I haven't a clue and I'm officially stupid.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The rule applies AFTER the withdrawal deadline. And if you are still on the alternate list later than that, you still have the opportunity to withdraw before you move into the qualifying or main draw. I like the rule...people need to plan their schedules and stop playing all these last minute games that are expensive and disruptive for everyone.

·
Banned
15,803 Posts
Bullshit. :eek: So a player can't choose to play an event that they are guaranteed to play in the MD in over one they would have to qualify for, even if they withdraw before the withdrawal deadline? That's ridiculous. So will Dokic not get any points in Bucharest?? She was accepted into Rome but withdrew, right?
Help with this plz :wavey:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts