Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
10,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they obliged Kim to play LA, because at least 1 top3 player should be there or something and with V&S out... :sad:

I just hope she doesn't burn out before the open!

· Registered
8,954 Posts
speaking of burn out expect her to have not such a good year next year unless she has a long rest at the end of this season. the problem with next season for kim is that she'll probably be #1 but she'll have all these points to defend so she can't rest otherwise she'll lose the top ranking (unfortunately).

· Registered
279 Posts
the WTA will never force somebody to play :eek:
Kim can still withdraw from Toronto (that would be the wise thing to do)
But yeah, she 's old enough to make her own decisions, we must not decide in her place :)
At least she doesn't play doubles in LA...

· Registered
6,762 Posts
wow the bullshit in here sure is thick! No one can force her its her decision. If they ask she can say no. What a novel word, no.

Kim has always played lots of tournaments so please wake up and get a clue. You paranoid kim fans will next join the throng in suggesting kim is gettting cakewalk draws so she will lose in the finals. :lol:

GO KIM you dont need fans like these.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
They were speaking about this on Eurosport yesturday. Durie said the WTA would ask both Henin and Clijsters to play more, as the william sisters are not there.

· Registered
30,738 Posts
Cybelle, the top tournaments are guaranteed to get top players (for the sponsors). I don't know what they do when there's a tournament and none of the top players want to play. With Serena and Venus injured, I think it's definitely possible that the WTA is pressuring Kim and Justine to play.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
Cybelle, the top tournaments are guaranteed to get top players. I don't know what they do when there's a tournament and none of the top players want to play. With Serena and Venus injured, I think it's definitely possible that the WTA is pressuring Kim and Justine to play.
i am not denying that the wta would ask of course they would they ask venus and serena all the time however they cannot force kim or justine to play anywhere as you all seem to think.

· Registered
30,738 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
i am not denying that the wta would ask of course they would they ask venus and serena all the time however they cannot force kim or justine to play anywhere as you all seem to think.
Then, what happens when there's a tier I, both Venus and Serena are injured and Kim and Justine say no?

· Banned
27,238 Posts
the WTA guarentees a certain amount of top players depending on the level of the tourney....if the top players dont play the WTA has to give the tourney money

thats why they "Pressure" the top players

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
Then, what happens when there's a tier I, both Venus and Serena are injured and Kim and Justine say no?
The WTA have to pay out or get one of the top players from the commitment list to go.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
The WTA does have rules about forcing players to play to meet Gold Exempt list requirements:

Just ask Seles:

Back in 2001, she would have liked to play 2 Californian tournies, the Canadian and New Haven.

But, she was not on the preference list of the Canadian anymore and the LA tournament was short of High Gold Exempt players:

Result: Of course Seles was allowed to play the Canadian, but only if she was willing to play consecutive weeks, because she was needed in LA more than she was in Canada

During the LA tournament all of a sudden Hingis and Davenport withdrew from the Canadian leaving the tier I tournament without the world top players. That's where again priorities changed!

They then 'asked' Monica to meet the requirements concerning that famous 'gold list' and with their consent she was allowed to withdraw from New Haven without any particular reason, although early in the season she had been the first high profile player to commit.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
great smash said:
The WTA does have rules about forcing players to play to meet Gold Exempt list requirements:

Just ask Seles:

Back in 2001, she would have liked to play 2 Californian tournies, the Canadian and New Haven.

But, she was not on the preference list of the Canadian anymore and the LA tournament was short of High Gold Exempt players:

Result: Of course Seles was allowed to play the Canadian, but only if she was willing to play consecutive weeks, because she was needed in LA more than she was in Canada

During the LA tournament all of a sudden Hingis and Davenport withdrew from the Canadian leaving the tier I tournament without the world top players. That's where again priorities changed!

They then 'asked' Monica to meet the requirements concerning that famous 'gold list' and with their consent she was allowed to withdraw from New Haven without any particular reason, although early in the season she had been the first high profile player to commit.

That was very nice of monica to do that. However I still maintain that they could not force her to change her schedule. Meaning if she had not wanted to change her schedule then she could have not done it.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
That was very nice of monica to do that. However I still maintain that they could not force her to change her schedule. Meaning if she had not wanted to change her schedule then she could have not done it.
Well, not exactly force her to play, but they could have prevented her from playing the Canadion, on top of that she would get penalized (financially for not meeting requirements for Gold Exempt players) I've just gone looking for the rules, and I ended up finding a 340 pages pdf files with the WTA rules.

· Registered
30,738 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Cybelle, that's the whole point. Maybe the use of the word 'force' is wrong. It's more like pressuring. Maybe Seles just didn't want to let people down. I've done things I didn't really like, I could have said no, but I would have felt bad about it afterwards. There's something like emotional pressure.

· Registered
11,975 Posts
I read before Antwerp 2003 when Bob Verbeek didn't know if Venus, Lindsay or Jennifer would have come that he said that if none of those 3 were coming, the WTA had to give him 50000$! So, Venus came... (well dunno if the WTA had to pressure her a lot)

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:

That may be true Cybelle, but why wouldn't a player want to support a tour that makes them mulit-millionaires, especially in a situation such as that described in great smashes's post?

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,691 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:
the WTA guarentees a certain amount of top players depending on the level of the tourney....if the top players dont play the WTA has to give the tourney money

thats why they "Pressure" the top players
I think Tier 2s are guarenteed 1 of the top 3. If none of the top 3 play, the WTA pays the tourney $60,000. So they may offer a top 3 player, say $40,000 to play, to save themselves the money. Something similar happened at Amelia Island a few years ago, but all three turned it down. They don't have to play. (This is all from memory, I don't know the exact numbers, or the situation with Tier 1s).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.