Tennis Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
I noticed the audio few weeks ago

Another thing on the site is the height, I mean some are so exaggerated. Muchova is listed as 5'11" while Kvitova is 6'0" but from pictures there's at least a 3 inch difference between them
I am sure the players themselves give their own height and weight ( thankfully not listed anymore on WTA site but still on the official atp/wta app)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
AVU surprised me. And yeah, the non-existent L in Tomljanovic. Also the ou in Czech names. Is really ou.
Cirstea is bonkers. No one says her name like that. The e a at the end is said faster. Maybe she wanted to emphasize that both sounds should be heard or something.
Anyway to me some of them sound like they're translating into English? They should have made them say "My name is" in their native language, maybe then the names would've rolled out better?
My mother-in-law is Romanian (born in Oradea) and she pronounces names differently when she is speaking Romanian compared to when she speaks English. She says it is "Cirs-tya" with the I sound like in "Birthday", and the tya said quickly and not stretched out like Sorana says it her example, which is for the English speaking people! An English speaking person could write it phonetically as Cursed-ya

Registered
So basically this whole thing is not doing what it's supposed to do in a lot of cases. WTA should redo it and explain the ladies that it's for real, not for English commentators to get an easy pass. I am disappointed.
They can't even get the easy ones correct. Ruse was pronounced as "Roos" when she played Radwanska at Wimbledon.

Registered
The Giorgi one is just hilarious.. I kind of wish she'd flat out refused and they would have had to put that one up anyway.
I love that they left the whole explanation in that clip. It's also, fully, the most 'outgoing' I've ever heard her sound. Normally when she's doing any kind of media it sounds like she's interviewing about a fear of dentistry.

Registered
Kirsten Flipkens also pronounces her name in English, not how she would call herself in her native Dutch...
:unsure:

Registered
So basically this whole thing is not doing what it's supposed to do in a lot of cases. WTA should redo it and explain the ladies that it's for real, not for English commentators to get an easy pass. I am disappointed.
I agree that it would be better and much more interesting to hear how it's pronounced in their original language. But Camila Giorgi's is explicitly told that the purpose is to help broadcasters say her name correctly. If that's what they're being told, then I can understand why some of them give a somewhant anglicised pronunciation of their name.

Registered
I didn't know that. WTA is stupid. That I knew. I didn't listen to Giorgi as I know how her name should be pronounced. I went to check mostly Czechs, Chinese and Balkan dwellers. So the ladies did do what they were told. Goddamn, WTA sucks so bad at everything! Why? WHY?

Registered
I didn't know that. WTA is stupid. That I knew. I didn't listen to Giorgi as I know how her name should be pronounced. I went to check mostly Czechs, Chinese and Balkan dwellers. So the ladies did do what they were told. Goddamn, WTA sucks so bad at everything! Why? WHY?
The ATP did the same thing . Some players are giving anglicized prononciation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts