Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I’m way out of date but I’ve just noticed the player profiles on the WTA site have little audio files of the players saying their names. I remember all the fuss about Iga Swiatek‘s name in Australia (I think) so maybe it’s been up a while but it was fun to see all the names I’ve been saying wrongly! Also the weird ones. Strycova was a surprise, the Pliskova twins say their surname differently, the Chinese players vary with their first name/ surname orders, Belinda Bencic is being sarcastic I think, Camilla Giorgi asks why. Who would have thought ‘Tig’ was that tricky! No Halep, Kerber or Serena. Anyway, it amused me for a while 😀😀😀

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Sorry if I’m way out of date but I’ve just noticed the player profiles on the WTA site have little audio files of the players saying their names. I remember all the fuss about Iga Swiatek‘s name in Australia (I think) so maybe it’s been up a while but it was fun to see all the names I’ve been saying wrongly! Also the weird ones. Strycova was a surprise, the Pliskova twins say their surname differently, the Chinese players vary with their first name/ surname orders, Belinda Bencic is being sarcastic I think, Camilla Giorgi asks why. Who would have thought ‘Tig’ was that tricky! No Halep, Kerber or Serena. Anyway, it amused me for a while 😀😀😀
It's been there on the ATP side for a while, but not there on the WTA side. Nice to see they finally added it.

The Pliskova twins thing is interesting I must say.

I think they usually do things like updating the profile pic and what not at IW, so maybe Halep and Kerber didn't get the audio done because they withdrew from IW this year? Idk

Finally I know how to say AVU and Hercog's names lol

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
AVU surprised me. And yeah, the non-existent L in Tomljanovic. Also the ou in Czech names. Is really ou.
Cirstea is bonkers. No one says her name like that. The e a at the end is said faster. Maybe she wanted to emphasize that both sounds should be heard or something.
Anyway to me some of them sound like they're translating into English? They should have made them say "My name is" in their native language, maybe then the names would've rolled out better?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Quite funny.

Actually I would never properly imagined the pronunciation of AVU name, and discovered that a lot of commentators are wrong with Strycova.
Even somewhat surprised to find that the right pronunciation of Camila is with the accent on the "i" , most commentators in Europe put the accent on the first "a".

·
🐟🐟
4,549 Posts
Vondrousova, Strycova, Siniakova and Kristyna Pliskova don't pronounce their names the way they are pronounced in Czech. More like how non-Czech speakers should pronounce them to make it easier for them. It's kinda pointless then 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Vondrousova, Strycova, Siniakova and Kristyna Pliskova don't pronounce their names the way they are pronounced in Czech. More like how non-Czech speakers should pronounce them to make it easier for them. It's kinda pointless then 🤷‍♀️
Gotta say it felt that way. Sorana is guilty of this too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How should they be pronounced in Czech? Somehow I get quite annoyed when the commentators go Kuh-vi-to-va

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another thing on the site is the height, I mean some are so exaggerated. Muchova is listed as 5'11" while Kvitova is 6'0" but from pictures there's at least a 3 inch difference between them

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
How about the way that the chair umpires (who I presume are Czech) have been pronouncing them during the tournaments over the last couple of weeks? Is that more accurate?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Tomljanovic with the silent 'L' in her last name has always bedeviled me.
AVU surprised me. And yeah, the non-existent L in Tomljanovic. Also the ou in Czech names. Is really ou.
Cirstea is bonkers. No one says her name like that. The e a at the end is said faster. Maybe she wanted to emphasize that both sounds should be heard or something.
Anyway to me some of them sound like they're translating into English? They should have made them say "My name is" in their native language, maybe then the names would've rolled out better?
The 'L' is not silent in Tomljanovic.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Wait, I thought that that the š sound in Pliskova was more like -sh-. Kristyna says it more like -s-, so is that the correct pronunciation?

·
🐟🐟
4,549 Posts
Wait, I thought that that the š sound in Pliskova was more like -sh-. Kristyna says it more like -s-, so is that the correct pronunciation?
It should indeed be -sh- just like in the video below at 3:18. She also says I instead of Í and A instead of Á. Vondrousova is the same story, Siniakova says R instead of Ř in Kateřina. "Barbra Streakova" is funny 😀

How about the way that the chair umpires (who I presume are Czech) have been pronouncing them during the tournaments over the last couple of weeks? Is that more accurate?
100 % 👍

·
Registered
76,619 Posts
LOL @ Giorgi, Puig, Petkovic, Rus, Azarenka's recordings

Also wow I would have never expected Greet Minnen's first name to be pronounced like that!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It should indeed be -sh- just like in the video below at 3:18. She also says I instead of Í and A instead of Á. Vondrousova is the same story, Siniakova says R instead of Ř in Kateřina. "Barbra Streakova" is funny 😀

100 % 👍
Okay cool, thanks. Hey, I recognize that guy from that Petra ad:

Also, just to confirm, is this the correct way to say Barbie's name?

I guess it's already there in that same video you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts