Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- Kevin Wulff knows how to market Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. Now he finds out if the same skills can raise the profile and profits of women's tennis.

Wulff, a former senior manager for Nike, said Tuesday that his marketing skills were a key reason he was chosen as the new CEO of the WTA Tour.

While at Nike, Wulff helped develop shoe and apparel lines for Jordan and Woods, two of the world's most heavily marketed athletes.

``I'm a chief executive officer with an instinct for and a strong marketing and sales background -- I think that was why the WTA was interested in me,'' Wulff said.

Wulff was chosen Monday as CEO of the women's tennis tour, replacing Bart McGuire, who will leave the job on Dec. 31.

Wulff, 49, will attempt to use his skills honed at Nike to sell the game to a larger public, maximizing the game's rising popularity as a brand behind stars such as Venus and Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati.

``I think there are a lot of people around the world who think the level of play of women's tennis has never been as high as it is now,'' Wulff said. ``I have the passion to reinvent some parts of the tour using these great players.''

McGuire said one of Wulff's jobs would be to add major sponsors such as Sanex and Nasdaq.

In more than eight years at Nike, Wulff held several posts, including president and general manager for the United States.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts