Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No international sport events in China this year except for Beijing 2022 trials

China will not hold international sport events in 2020 except for the Beijing 2022 Olympic trials, the General Administration of Sport of China announced the decision on Thursday.
The Chinese sport authority released a program named "plan of resuming sport events based on science and order" on Thursday, due to which lots of international sport events will be affected.

Update for C Clarey

Steve Simon, WTA chief, tells me that it is not yet clear that China will call off all international sports events, including WTA tournaments, for rest of 2020. He says, despite reports, the decision not yet definitive and no order has yet been given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113,591 Posts
Big financial hit to the WTA. But lets see this US hard court season and the European clay season. Important that these events go smoothly. Then there will be some open space

·
Registered
5,510 Posts

China will not hold international sport events in 2020 except for the Beijing 2022 Olympic trials, the General Administration of Sport of China announced the decision on Thursday.
The Chinese sport authority released a program named "plan of resuming sport events based on science and order" on Thursday, due to which lots of international sport events will be affected.

The English version is wrong even though it is from xinhuanet.

The Chinese version

says
"Except for Beijing Olympic Winter Games Trials and other important events, in principle no other international sports events will be held within this year. "

i.e. not yet decided.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Is there time to organize a European swing to add to moscow & Linz if that event is still on if the above story is correct.

I know it would be extremely difficult, money wise with sponsors, however, even some smaller european events with smaller prize pools for just this year would be better than nothing and would save many players having to travel.

Otherwise, we are going to have a very long off season, unless the U.S. is doing better with covid19 in October & November, where there may be opportunities for events, sponsors permitting of course.

Infact any Tennis for fans, even if they can't attend would be welcomed.

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
So we will have Filderstadt, Brighton and Zurich back <3

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

The Chinese version
View attachment 177664
says
"Except for Beijing Olympic Winter Games Trials and other important events, in principle no other international sports events will be held within this year. "

i.e. not yet decided.
I have seen the proper translation reported from France Presse (AFP):

The General Administration of Sport (GAS) said in a statement that, except for Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic test events "and other important events, in principle, no other international sports events will be held this year".

So it's still quite possible that both the Shenzhen Finals (for the amount of money involved) and Wuhan (for its symbolic significance) can still be played.

·
Registered
31,175 Posts

Update for C Clarey

Steve Simon, WTA chief, tells me that it is not yet clear that China will call off all international sports events, including WTA tournaments, for rest of 2020. He says, despite reports, the decision not yet definitive and no order has yet been given

Steve Simon in ruins 😂

·
Registered
113,591 Posts
Okay. So no one knows for now. But this would be a huge financial hit if it doesnt happen. like I said earlier, its important the US hard court season and European clay season go smoothly. These are important events to keep the sport going
Its step by step this year

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
China doesnt fvck around.Western countries are like "200 cases per day?That's fine".China had less than 100 positives in Bejing and put half the city on lockdown and made like a million tests in one day.I guess it's because they know from "first hand" how deadly this thing is.Rest of the world pretends they can go on like normal and live with it.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts

The Chinese version
View attachment 177664
says

i.e. not yet decided.
I can tell you by definition what important events are: Beijing (China Open) and Shenzhen (Finals).

Don't even bother with the word danger, the rest are cancelled (Wuhan/Nanchang/Zhengzhou/Zhuhai/Guangzhou) cause you can't classify those levels as important events.

WTA needs to figure out what they are going to do after China Open and before Shenzhen Finals. They don't have many options.

Reactions: PatsyStone

·
Registered
113,591 Posts
If they get both Beijing and the YEC, they will be happy. Especially YEC, that is about 40% of the WTA's annual revenue

1 - 20 of 111 Posts