Tennis Forum banner
241 - 260 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
We'll be thinking next that you're a politician, because you don't keep your promises either!

Begone, and enjoy your month away from here.
Lmao I said I was taking a break from the covid thread, due to a friendly wager with andreescufan. Not the whole place. A month away from here would probably be a good thing too, but at this point I'll save that for a camping trip that is hopefully in the fairly near future.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Adelaide is nice, but I love tradition tournaments like Sydney. Hopefully it comes back next year :)

My perfect insulation for January could look like:

Week 1: WTA 500 Brisbane/WTA 250 Auckland
Week 2: WTA 500 Sydney/WTA 250 Hobart
Week 3: AO Open
Week 4: AO Open/WTA 250 Adelaide.

Why not having another tournament during the second week of a Grand Slam? I love it.

But I know, Auckland and Hobart already got canceled.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
My perfect insulation for January could look like:

Week 1: WTA 500 Brisbane/WTA 250 Auckland
But I know, Auckland and Hobart already got canceled.
It's about time that Auckland and Brisbane swapped levels. Karl Budge had been trying to convince the WTA for a couple of years before the last tournament that Auckland should go to Premier level (now 500), because the number of top players wanting to come here was greater than the number wanting to go to Brisbane (six top 10, and 13 out of the top 20, and of course you can't have a 250 with those numbers). Add to that the way the players got treated in Brisbane (court allocations being subordinate to the men every day), which just doesn't happen here with the women's and men's events overlapping rather than being in direct competition.

As I've posted before, sponsorship is the least of Auckland's worries, so there would be absolutely no problem in meeting whatever increased financial obligations come with the upgrade in status.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
As I've posted before, sponsorship is the least of Auckland's worries, so there would be absolutely no problem in meeting whatever increased financial obligations come with the upgrade in status.
Auckland have had many years to apply to host a higher-rated tournament. Perhaps they can replace Beijing lol

Good luck to them but don't see it happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
It's about time that Auckland and Brisbane swapped levels. Karl Budge had been trying to convince the WTA for a couple of years before the last tournament that Auckland should go to Premier level (now 500), because the number of top players wanting to come here was greater than the number wanting to go to Brisbane (six top 10, and 13 out of the top 20, and of course you can't have a 250 with those numbers). Add to that the way the players got treated in Brisbane (court allocations being subordinate to the men every day), which just doesn't happpen here with the women's and men's events overlapping rather than being in direct competition.

I wonder if Auckland (or maybe Brisbane) would be better off moving to after the AO in the future if that is the case. It seems crazy to me that a tournament, especially an established and very successful one like Auckland, would want to upgrade and get rejected when the WTA in general seems to have constant problems finding decent places to host tournaments. The Adelaide 500 wasn't as strong as initially expected, but still worked out pretty well this year. Somewhere in Australia/NZ seems more sensible for that time slot than Saint Petersburg like we had before.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
The plan this year was for the players to travel to Auckland on a charter flight after the Australian Open, and play a 500 and a 250 in the following two weeks. Unfortunately the Government rejected the idea, believing there was still too much risk to the population.

·
Registered
21,027 Posts
Lead up schedule

chedule:

Week 1:
Sydney - ATP Cup
Melbourne - 2 WTA 250's + 1 ATP 250
Adelaide - WTA 500 + ATP 250
Bendigo - ITF W60 + ATP 80
Traralgon - ITF W60 + ATP 80

Week 2:
Melbourne - AO Q
Adelaide - WTA 250 + ATP 250
Sydney - WTA 500 + ATP 250
Traralgon - ITF J1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
79,515 Posts
Lead up schedule

chedule:

Week 1:
Sydney - ATP Cup
Melbourne - 2 WTA 250's + 1 ATP 250
Adelaide - WTA 500 + ATP 250
Bendigo - ITF W60 + ATP 80
Traralgon - ITF W60 + ATP 80

Week 2:
Melbourne - AO Q
Adelaide - WTA 250 + ATP 250
Sydney - WTA 500 + ATP 250
Traralgon - ITF J1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow that first week is going to be jam packed. Only expected one ITF during that week. Not sure how many players ranked lower than 250 will come for those ITFs as they won't get to play much else afterwards? If so, those ITFs could end up getting filled with local scrubs lol.

·
Registered
79,515 Posts

·
Registered
17,161 Posts

·
Registered
79,515 Posts
So they are making the top players leave Melbourne then come back for AO? Only those in AO Q don’t need to travel much.

Top 30: Adelaide > Sydney
30-60: Melbourne/Adelaide Q > Adelaide
60-100: Melbourne > Adelaide Q/Sydney Q
100+: Melbourne Q/ITF > AO Q
Both Bendigo and Traralgon to Melbourne are about 2 hrs by car. The flight time between Adelaide to Melbourne and Sydney to Melbourne is quicker.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Both Bendigo and Traralgon to Melbourne are about 2 hrs by car. The flight time between Adelaide to Melbourne and Sydney to Melbourne is quicker.
It just doesn't make much geographical sense to have players leave Melbourne then come back. It feels like a detour.

That travel by car isn't much for ITF players going to Q. Plus it's not like they are playing a tournament at Melbourne and then leave and come back. The amount of time to and from airport + the necessary time needed for check in and what not on clearances probably amounts more than 2 hours.

If you are preparing for AO and the courts on AO is available in lead up matches, does it make sense to have players leave Melbourne to Adelaide/Sydney and then come back to Melbourne for AO? Sounds counterproductive to me. I do understand the fact that AO needs to hold Q the week before so the courts won't be available. I just thought it's kind of funny the way it's scheduled. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have Adelaide and Sydney swap spots the first two weeks?

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Auckland have had many years to apply to host a higher-rated tournament. Perhaps they can replace Beijing lol

Good luck to them but don't see it happening anytime soon.
The problem is that you can't have two 500s clashing (Melbourne this year was a special case), so either Brisbane drops down or Auckland changes its date. We have an ATP event as well, so the logistics aren't quite as straightforward.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
It just doesn't make much geographical sense to have players leave Melbourne then come back. It feels like a detour.

That travel by car isn't much for ITF players going to Q. Plus it's not like they are playing a tournament at Melbourne and then leave and come back. The amount of time to and from airport + the necessary time needed for check in and what not on clearances probably amounts more than 2 hours.

If you are preparing for AO and the courts on AO is available in lead up matches, does it make sense to have players leave Melbourne to Adelaide/Sydney and then come back to Melbourne for AO? Sounds counterproductive to me. I do understand the fact that AO needs to hold Q the week before so the courts won't be available. I just thought it's kind of funny the way it's scheduled. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have Adelaide and Sydney swap spots the first two weeks?
You do have a point and I do think it would be easier to have Ade/Syd alternate, but I think the players are used to it these days and it's basically only a 1hr flight or so. Some of them have other commitments in each city (usually sponsor-related) so are used to flying to and from Melbourne during this swing anyway. It was Perth that sometimes muddled things up due to the time zone difference (eg Spain in the ATP Cup having to adjust to the timezone change and arrive late for the semi finals/finals in Sydney).

241 - 260 of 307 Posts