Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have the best slam matches of 2019 thread, but what about your favourite non slam matches of 2019.

my favourite match of all was martic v sabalenka at zhengzhou ( 7-5, 5-7, 6-4 to petra ) over 80 winners in total, crowd got into it, players really got into it, a great match.( check the highlights)

yastremska beating garcia in final of strasbourg 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(3), most epic final for me, dayana blew match points in second set, caroline had match point in the third, a most dramatic match of just under 3 hours.

and of course NAOMI beating BIANCA in china 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, the start of a great rivalry, could have been better if both had played at their peak as they did in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Favourite non Slam match of 2019 was Bianca Andreescu's win over Kerber at Indian Wells... Honestly that has to be one of the most significant non Slam matches on tour this year...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
NAOMI beating BIANCA in china 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, the start of a great rivalry, could have been better if both had played at their peak as they did in the 3rd set.
Bianca never played anywhere near her peak in that match, let alone the 3rd set, or that tournament to be honest... She played mostly decent but also used some poor tactics that played right into Osaka's game, and should have used a degree more of her "junkball" tool kit to disrupt Osaka the way Bencic has all season...

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Bianca never played anywhere near her peak in that match, let alone the 3rd set, or that tournament to be honest... She played mostly decent but also used some poor tactics that played right into Osaka's game, and should have used a degree more of her "junkball" tool kit to disrupt Osaka the way Bencic has all season...
:spit: :rolls: :facepalm:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Favourite non Slam match of 2019 was Bianca Andreescu's win over Kerber at Indian Wells... Honestly that has to be one of the most significant non Slam matches on tour this year...
yes, it was, but as i didn't see it, i didn't pick it. ( i have seen a few highlights). i was overseas at the time and indian wells wasn't in my thoughts.

i only picked matches that i actually saw live.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Kerber vs Andreescu for me...Either one tbh. Indian Wells was the better match.

I know Belinda Bencic had some amazing matches too but none really stick out at the moment...*update* WTA is counting down the best matches and it just reminded me that the Bencic match I'm thinking about was Bencic vs Osaka in Madrid.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
yes, it was, but as i didn't see it, i didn't pick it. ( i have seen a few highlights). i was overseas at the time and indian wells wasn't in my thoughts.

i only picked matches that i actually saw live.
I’m pretty sure the WTA has the entire match on their YouTube channel still and I’ve watched the entire thing several times now...

It’s really a pretty amazing match and the only thing that makes it a little less dramatic now is that we know who wins, but the match itself was great sporting theatre...

Recommend if you (or those who missed it) get a chance... A good one to watch in the off season.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
So does naomi. She didn't play her best throughout the match . It was in patches
Andreescu used her junk balls and tried to change the pace many times during the match. Naomi has answers for them including on third match point where she hit leaping backhand. Andreescu has to go for baseline battle because other things weren't working especially her junkball tool kit

And both players didnt play their best throughout the match. In third set both were peaking. If andreescu has more variety, naomi has better first serve, bigger game and movement to handle andreescu. Also to hit through her. Bencic is bad matchup for naomi. Yes. That doesn't mean every player will be bad matchup for her.

On topic- naomi vs andreescu for me. The thrill of the match , two new superstars playing each other. NOone had the edge throughout the match. Big hitting. Naomi hitting lobs lol!!!!
Loved it! Very important match for naomi after some terrible months which helped her confidence that she can play players with variety if she works for it. I watch mostly naomi's matches so it is the best non slam match for me

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
So does naomi. She didn't play her best throughout the match . It was in patches
Andreescu used her junk balls and tried to change the pace many times during the match. Naomi has answers for them including on third match point where she hit leaping backhand. Andreescu has to go for baseline battle because other things weren't working especially her junkball tool kit

And both players didnt play their best throughout the match. In third set both were peaking. If andreescu has more variety, naomi has better first serve, bigger game and movement to handle andreescu. Also to hit through her. Bencic is bad matchup for naomi. Yes. That doesn't mean every player will be bad matchup for her.

On topic- naomi vs andreescu for me. The thrill of the match , two new superstars playing each other. NOone had the edge throughout the match. Big hitting. Naomi hitting lobs lol!!!!
Loved it! Very important match for naomi after some terrible months which helped her confidence that she can play players with variety if she works for it. I watch mostly naomi's matches so it is the best non slam match for me
They were both kind of injured. It was a good match for the first two sets then Bianca started fading and just trying to outhit Osaka rather than play her normal game.

·
Registered
403 Posts
NAOMI beating BIANCA in china 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, the start of a great rivalry, could have been better if both had played at their peak as they did in the 3rd set.
This.

Answer to thread for me was Bianca vs Kerber Indian Wells.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Riske vs Sabalenka (Shenzhen)
Garcia vs Yastremska (Strasbourg)
Halep vs Garcia (Fed Cup)
Hsieh vs Osaka (Miami)
Hsieh vs Wozniacki (Miami)
Hsieh vs Pliskova (Dubai)
Jabeur vs Cornet (Eastbourne)
Sevastova vs Kawa (Jurmala)
Martic vs Sabalenka (Guangzhou)
Hsieh vs Gracheva (Citi Open)

·
Registered
112,695 Posts
Osaka/Andreescu in Beijing was a rare chance to see 2 young stars who never play each other and Osaka's serve won it late in set 3. Also Barty/Bertens in a Beijing SF

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Su-Wei vs Osaka (Cincinnati)
Osaka tends to have so many match-up issues, so her matches with some players are always fun to watch. Bianca, Sevastova, or Belinda :eek:h:

·
Registered
365 Posts
we have the best slam matches of 2019 thread, but what about your favourite non slam matches of 2019.

yastremska beating garcia in final of strasbourg 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(3), most epic final for me, dayana blew match points in second set, caroline had match point in the third, a most dramatic match of just under 3 hours.
Garcia vs Yastremska (Strasbourg)
This had to be one of the greatest matches I've ever seen, slam or no slam. It is hands down number one for this year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Garcia vs Yastremska - Strasbourg
Barty vs Bertens - Beijing
Andreescu vs Kerber - Indian Wells
Andreescu vs Svitolina - Indian Wells

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Kiki Mladenovic vs Ashleigh Barty Fed Cup Day 2 in Perth

kiki being down 2-6 3-4 *30-40 Barty missed a forehand passing. Then Super Kiki rised vs world n°1 who fought BIG

such a great match with quality tennis and big mental battle.

LOVE THIS MATCH.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I liked a lot of Serena, Osaka, and Andreescu matches, which is no surprise since they are among my faves. I pick:
Serena v. Bouzkova at Toronto (excellent defense by Bouzkova forced Serena to earn the win)
Halep v. Andreescu (Can't remember which tourney, but Halep saved a match point)
Osaka v. Andreescu (In China?) Match was close throughout and had some excellent winners. IIRC, Osaka came from behind to win.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Think has to be my favourite non-slam match of the year.

Caro G also featured in the Nottingham Final which was pretty good as well - and saved the tournament from being a total disaster.

Even though Donna lost. Again.:sobbing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts