Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
18,512 Posts
^Yeah, this. I heard she has had a huge amount of crowd support this week, which is cool. Must have given them a collective heart attack against Vickery in the last game though. Anyway, if she can make it to the Ricoh Open regardless, it's all fine.

Kəv.;71212129 said:
Better for Marina to just tank then :hug:
That's the only way Mandy would make it through to the SF :lol:

·
Registered
18,512 Posts
My jinx is working! Marina will arrive a couple of days early in the Netherlands so she can practice on grass before the matches start.

Go Mandy! She's playing very well actually, though Marina has helped her with some serious choking.

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
Came back home yesterday after three days in Bol, so here are a few words from me, later I'll post photos that I've made, which - be warned - are not of a very high quality for the most part.

So where do I begin... Matches I saw were:

- Soylu vs. Glushko
- Martic vs. Hercog
- Lukas vs. Vickery
- Schmiedlova vs. Kucova
- Kostova vs. Hercog
- Konjuh vs. Soylu
- Mrdeza vs. Bonaventure

I was also supposed to go see Konjuh vs. Min but couldn't.

In terms of organisation everything seems really nice, people at the venue are friendly and helpful, hostesses are beautiful, ball kids were a little sloppy and/or sleepy on day 1, but improved later on, after some unhappy comments from both, the spectators and the players.

The venue itself is maybe 200 meters from the sea (for those of you who don't know) and overlooked by a 2000 ft. tall mountain, a lot of beautiful nature around, birds chirping, sea breeze bringing all the smells right to the stands of the center court. There are 3 more courts with stands, but only a few rows each. As someone with health issues I must adress the lack of accessability for people like me, but if you really wanna go and see something, there is a way. If someone here needs some info on the subject I'd be happy to answer any questions or give advice, just send me a PM.

The most visited match I've seen on those 3 days was definately Soylu vs. Konjuh, but even then there was no more than 200 people in the 2000 capacity stadium, which I found odd, especially since the locals even had a discount on tickets and this is suppose to be a chance for some additional promotion of the island. After all, these people live off of tourism so you'd think they'd care more about the image of the Island and advertising opportunities. Maybe that changes next year.

As for the event itself, I was a little puzzled about the lack of court cover when the rain started on day 2, wouldn't hurt to make sure they have it for next year, so that there's no need to wait for so long (and miss a match, like me), but obviously they rely on lights for evening matches so they don't see a need to get the covers.

Regarding the players, I don't know the current form of each, but my impressions in short terms are...

Glushko complicates her own life too much, lost to someone who had a much simpler plan, but executed it far better.

Lukas played a very good match, but simply couldn't stick for long enough. This was the best that I've seen her play so far and if she continues the good work she can go into 200 and beyond, surely. She is also hard to miss around the courts, so tall and lean, has a nice body, as well as a nice posture. Looks really athletic.

Soylu may not be the most talented player out there, but she's a fighter and that's something I respect. She's a tough nut to crack.

Martic is clearly in a mess of a form, hard to tell much of anything from the little that I saw of her (only until the rain break), but it didn't look good.

Vickery sure bitches a lot. She was whining about the line calls, muttering, but she outplayed her opponent fair and square, by showing more versatility in her game.

Hercog is playing better as days go by. In R1 she wasn't playing like much, but I was really impressed with her R2 display. Yes, Kostova is not Serena, but even despite that, it was obvious that Polona played better than the day before (or was it 2 days...nevermind). Her serve is a great weapon of course, even on clay, and she can play some really smart tennis. After that match I predicted to see her in the final, maybe even with the title. Btw, never noticed that she barely jumps while serving, her feet are on the ground almost all the time and she brings them close together each time. Only saw that now. The little miracles of watching tennis live...

Kostova didn't impress me very much have to say. Maybe this was below her best level, but she didn't really stand a chance.

Schmiedlova, just like Glushko, overcomplicated things for herself. She is definately talented, but this display of talent (or traces of it), were severly overshadowed by wrong shot selections and overall lack of thinking on court.

Bonaventure is a weird player. First she surprises me pleasantly by giving the point away, which was awarded to her, once she saw that she shot it out. On another ocassion she also accepted the opponents ball as in, to save the umpire from having to come down on court to check. But then the muttering, the yelling, talking to herself loud and clear, frustration pouring everywhere. It was not her day.

Kucova, I don't know what to say about her honestly cause I don't remember so much of her performance, but she grabbed her chance, was the smarter of the two on court that day and got herself a nice win.

Mrdeza, I'm real happy to have gotten to see her. She is a much better and much more complete player now than some years ago when I was watching her play via live stream from some tournaments. She is way more agressive than before, and she handles situations on the net very well for the most part. I was thrilled to have seen her win against a top 150 player, despite playing so little lately. If she remains healthy I can definately see her in the top 100 one day in the not too distant future. Knew she'll be trouble for Konjuh in the next match.

Konjuh, as she herself said after the match, makes some great winners and then misses some sitters. No news there, we've seen it happen over and over. Says she's learned to accept it, cause that's how things go with her playing style. It was clear that she is much more talented than probably all the girls in Bol. She can hit incredible shots, win herself a point ending with a lob, creates angles with incredible ease. I also think she is thinking better on court compared to some months or years ago, she's not going for too much as often, and no one can say her groundstrokes don't have any spin. She still needs a lot of work on maintaining focus, but on this level of comeptition that isn't so relevant for her. The only player I saw thank the crowd for support after the match.

I'll wrap this up here, but I'll post some more later on, including those pics.

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
First set of pics, you who follow the players will recognize them so I don't think I need to say much about that. I'll only add some random interesting comments, like the one that on pic #3 here, you can see Ana Vrljic, who was sitting in front of me, stalking me on day 1, watching Glushko vs. Soylu (I think).

Attachments

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
3rd set of pics.

Note: pic #1 shows Petra Martic on Lukas vs. Vickery match (dressed all in white, middle of the pic), but she was more concerned with talking to a bunch of friends than watching the match...pic #2 shows Ana Vrljic at the same match (middle of the pic, wearing black-white), stalking me again.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
5/7

Note: Pic #1 shows one force of nature, Tereza Mrdeza, 5ft8" tall, in front of another force of nature, Vidova Gora, the highest peak of all the Croatian island mountains, 2552 ft tall...or better say high :D Pic #2 shows probably the smallest ball kid at the venue, he can't be more than 5 years old, he is considerably smaller than all the others I've seen, but takes his job seriously ;) Pic #4, the lady in green is again Ana Vrljic stalking me, this time at the Mrdeza vs. Bonaventure match...must've thought I won't notice her...:cool: On a more serious note, pic #5 shows the coach of Tereza Mrdeza, anyone knows who he is or is he new in her camp? Tereza's playing style seems so different from before so it wouldn't surprise me that she's being guided by a different coach now. Btw, Italian umpire was twisting his tongue with "Mrdeža" all the time, laughing at his own expense, but not giving up. He got it pretty good by the end :worship:

Attachments

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,160 Posts
I really want to visit the tournament, seems lovely. And I'm still planning to go to Umag this year. :)

Hercog beat Hibino 60 62 :bigclap:

·
Registered
53,873 Posts
Thanks for the pics & reports, ma re

Kania lost on Monday in singles and lost today her first doubles match.
0 wins, 2 losses = $1750 in cash plus paid accomodation with full board in a 4* resort for 8 nights :tape:

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
Thanks for the pics & reports, ma re

Kania lost on Monday in singles and lost today her first doubles match.
0 wins, 2 losses = $1750 in cash plus paid accomodation with full board in a 4* resort for 8 nights :tape:
You're welcome :)

Yeah, the life of a pro athlete can be a real torture sometimes...;)

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
say what, Krajan and Hercog are an item???

·
Registered
53,873 Posts

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
^ there are much cheaper options than the official hotel, but only for those who are not set on being pampered ;)

121 - 140 of 148 Posts