Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sofya from set & a break down to win
Needed 7 set points to level the match.

That was tough against the endless soft shots with nothing on from Hibi.

3 yr olds hit harder than Hibi

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice match with a lot of exciting rallies. Great fight from Sofya when Hibi served for the match in the 2nd set and even though she lost a few SPs in the tiebreak, she came back strongly to finally take that set. She looked the stronger player after that and finally broke serve in the 9th game before closing it out.

Hibi's drop shots were bothering Sofya for the first 2 sets but she started to read them and also mixed up her game by throwing in some moonballs and heavy topspin to push Hibi back. Great to see a youngster thinking on court instead of just brainlessly bashing the ball. If/when Sofya improves her serve, she will be dangerous. She's also a marketing man's dream and the WTA could do with her right now.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Good stuff. Great to see promising youngsters doing well. Caught a bit of a stream for the first set and then followed the 2nd on a betting site before completely forgetting about it.

Hopefully goes on to win it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ugh, can we not go there. Is it so hard to just appreciate the sport without saying that what the WTA actually needs is a hot blonde.
Says the person who had nothing to say about the match in this thread. I also didn't say anything about the colour of her hair. That seems to be your hangup. ;)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,469 Posts
Great opportunity missed by Mayo here. But I am still pleased at how well she has started this season. I hope her level of this week continues in the weeks to come and she keeps improving.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Mayo had 6-5 30-15 on serve in second set :sobbing: good start of the yr though,back in top 200. Lets hope Mayo keeps it up,big arsenal of weapons-can hit flat( with that fh especially),slice,come to net etc. Her serve always gonna suck probably.:tears:

Talent lost ,overhyped IMG blonde won.

·
always getting what i want
18,245 Posts
Sofya should make Top 100 this year. Take the title! :hearts:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Says the person who had nothing to say about the match in this thread. I also didn't say anything about the colour of her hair. That seems to be your hangup. ;)
It was just sad because I expect the focus on looks first from half of TF but it was jarring to see a post about the actual tennis that still veered into that territory.

I wish people would understand that when they bang on about how much tennis needs the "marketable" (ie conventionally hot) girls, they're also sending a message to every girl out there who doesn't look like that, that they're unwanted and not needed, even if they have the talent of a Davenport or a Henin.

As for the match? It was hilarious to see Hibi completely take Zhuk's game apart in the first set with her own dinky slices and dropshots. Credit to Zhuk, she turned it around by moonballing and pulled her game together, but it wasn't great tennis. As a long-time Hibi watcher I know she's an absolutely terrible closer and so it proved in the TB. And at 4-4 in the decider it was of course Hibi who blinked first - her misses in the final game when she was on top of the point were terrible.

Zhuk has smooth groundstrokes with nothing special about them in terms of pace or power, which I've thought every time I've seen her.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Mayo had 6-5 30-15 on serve in second set :sobbing: good start of the yr though,back in top 200. Lets hope Mayo keeps it up,big arsenal of weapons-can hit flat( with that fh especially),slice,come to net etc. Her serve always gonna suck probably.:tears:

Talent lost ,overhyped IMG blonde won.
Mayo really needs to hit through her FH a bit more, and to learn to generate more pace with it when she has a slower ball. The control she has on the BH slice is excellent, and it's a really biting shot now, but she has to go after the FH a bit more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts