Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115,447 Posts
They gave Pavs a big scheduling edge. Not only in Pliskova's section, but, when are Muchova & Sakkari playing? If that late night match is long, Pavs has a pretty good chance to keep going

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Pavlyuchenkova choked one MP in the 2nd set in the TB on her own serve, but Brady choked earlier on, she was 4-2 up I believe.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Pavlyuchenkova choked one MP in the 2nd set in the TB on her own serve, but Brady choked earlier on, she was 4-2 up I believe.
It was on Brady's serve. But that particular serve isn't that aggressive and Pav could have dealt with it more, at least not so tentative. Glad she still won.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,237 Posts
Pavs getting herself into the seed range for the French Open.

Here's an odd question - has Pavs ever been the Russian #1? Even for a week?

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
In general, it was a high quality match. I am amazed by Pav. She is so calm during the whole match. It must be very frustrating because Brady is not going away, and keep serving great at clutch moment. Pavs could have won in 2 if on the MP she is less tentative.

There was a lot of games went to deuce, and making this match a marathon. The most pivotal one though is the 6th game in the 3rd which went to 9 deuce. Despite Pavs being broken back immediately, she cemented her aggressive ROS mindset, and causing Brady a bit nervous at 4-3.

Pav's ROS is very very good indeed today, and a lot of ROS winners in the 3rd. Other than that, she is very consistent in her groundstroke today. I particularly like her one two combo, serving out wide and hitting to the FH side open court of Brady. Some poor miss though especially the drive volley at the 2nd set bp. But glad she stayed cool.

Impressed by Brady as well on how good her service is during 2nd set TB and 3rd set. SHe got a lot of free points, but FH a bit too inconsistent.

I am sooooooo happy to see the random peak of Pavs this week.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
In general, it was a high quality match. I am amazed by Pav. She is so calm during the whole match. It must be very frustrating because Brady is not going away, and keep serving great at clutch moment. Pavs could have won in 2 if on the MP she is less tentative.

There was a lot of games went to deuce, and making this match a marathon. The most pivotal one though is the 6th game in the 3rd which went to 9 deuce. Despite Pavs being broken back immediately, she cemented her aggressive ROS mindset, and causing Brady a bit nervous at 4-3.

Pav's ROS is very very good indeed today, and a lot of ROS winners in the 3rd. Other than that, she is very consistent in her groundstroke today. I particularly like her one two combo, serving out wide and hitting to the FH side open court of Brady. Some poor miss though especially the drive volley at the 2nd set bp. But glad she stayed cool.

Impressed by Brady as well on how good her service is during 2nd set TB and 3rd set. SHe got a lot of free points, but FH a bit too inconsistent.

I am sooooooo happy to see the random peak of Pavs this week.
Agreed. Pavs has been just terrible every other time I have seen her this year so this week's Madrid form is a revelation. These wins - Keys, Pliskova, now Brady, are on another level to anything she has done in over a year and this is her first qf since AO 2020. And so deserved. I was really impressed the way she regrouped after losing that tight tiebreak on a double fault and some of those games in the final set were just so long, but she seemed really focussed today and a lot quicker and sharper than recently. And the bottom half of the draw is very open so she could keep going.

·
Registered
115,447 Posts
She must have gotten to Russian #1. It wasnt long ago being ranked 40 could do it.
Then Kasatkina made IW final after just making a premier final and I thought she was going to stay there. But now its all Kudermetova

·
Registered
341 Posts
After Pavs choked away the 2nd set, I thought she would go on losing the match and stopped watching.
So glad she proves me wrong!:D
When Pavs plays well, the game is in a (power)flow, so pleasing to the eyes. Stephens(!?) and Muchova also come to my mind despite their different styles.
Good luck next round!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Pavs getting herself into the seed range for the French Open.

Here's an odd question - has Pavs ever been the Russian #1? Even for a week?
Yes, at the end of 2019.

Pavs took the top Russian spot after reaching the final of the Pan Pacific Open in September. She was ranked 36th overall so not a great time for Russian women.

Alexandrova took the top spot away from her in January 2020 after winning Shenzhen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brady kept herself in this almost entirely with her serve. Even though the final winners count was similar, I don't recall Brady hitting many from the baseline, especially say attacking Pavlyuchenkova's second serve. I assume it's related to her uncomfortable footwork on clay. Pavs had the much more dangerous baseline attack.

·
Registered
115,447 Posts
Russian #1 at #36 sounds about right. Very weak group then. I didnt see Medvedev, Rublev and Karatsev coming on like they do now.
I think that will help motivate the women. Kasatkina and Kudermetova just won premiers and Pavs is starting to play okay again

·
Premium Member
182,068 Posts
Pavs should have won this more easily than she did
Made a mess of things as usual

1 - 20 of 35 Posts