Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WS beat everyone else on tour with great consistency, but no one seems to care or they don't want to give them credit for it. No matter how many times the WS prove themselves by beating the other players, their detractors don't want to pay them their just due with even something as simple as a congratulations. They talk about how the WS can't do this and that, and how such and such a player is better and will get better, but those players still very rarely beat a WS. When they lose to a WS somehow the loss is forgotten and brushed aside, but when they win, it's a lifetime achievement to be brought up at every chance. They aren't beating cupcakes either, Venus has never lost to Cappy, won 9 of 10 from #4 Davenport, 7-1 vs. #2 Henin, 5-2 against #1 Clijsters, the only person Venus loses to with consistency is Serena. Serena has beaten Venus 6 straight times :eek: (I know I never thought it possible) Capriati 8 straight times. 7-1 vs. the world #1, and 5-3 vs. world #2 Henin. Not only do they beat them, at times they make them look rather average beating them in two rather easy sets. No one does this besides the sisters. Can they get some type of credit for beating these players??

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
I admire them both (individually, alas) on my own. I do enjoy watching them play other players, and enjoy what they've done to the game.

I just don't appreciate their every move being crammed down my throat on a daily basis,.... but I don't hold that against either sister.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a bit more of a WS fan away from the board. Where I can enjoy them for their own merit without any added hype, hate, or speculation.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Great Post Kizzle. People just brush aside their wins like it isnt crap. The Williamses deserve a lot more credit than is given to them. Sometimes I think the way that these moronic journalist talk, that the tour is in immense shambles when they are dominating, which is bullshyt.

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Seles said:
I admire them both (individually, alas) on my own. I do enjoy watching them play other players, and enjoy what they've done to the game.

I just don't appreciate their every move being crammed down my throat on a daily basis,.... but I don't hold that against either sister.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a bit more of a WS fan away from the board. Where I can enjoy them for their own merit without any added hype, hate, or speculation.
very very well said

·
Registered
115 Posts
again you contradict yourself.

why the bellyaching? why the "they've beaten everybody blah blah..." along with the stats that everyone here is aware of already anyway?

why state the obvious? are you imploring appreciation from those who dont like them?

why? are tennis fans obliged to like or appreciate them? obviously you do care.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gospodin said:
again you contradict yourself.

why the bellyaching? why the "they've beaten everybody blah blah..." along with the stats that everyone here is aware of already anyway?

why state the obvious? are you imploring appreciation from those who dont like them?

why? are tennis fans obliged to like or appreciate them? obviously you do care.
Appreciate and respect are different than like. There are alot of players I respect and congratulate on their achievements, but I don't necessarily like. You say I am stating the obvious, but the obvious gets overlooked all the time when dealing with the WS.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You say I am stating the obvious, but the obvious gets overlooked all the time when dealing with the WS.
what flair for drama! again, whats the point of your bellyaching? you say you dont care about who likes them. so whats the point of posting obvious facts about their achievements that everybody already knows and rubbing it to their faces with lines like
I figured there would be much silence on this topic.
please stop with the innocent "im just stating facts" and "i just want your honest opinion" crap you always post when its always been "the williams are the best and you guys know it" that you were saying all the time. it really is getting silly, especially since everybody is aware of it.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gospodin said:
what flair for drama! again, whats the point of your bellyaching? you say you dont care about who likes them. so whats the point of posting obvious facts about their achievements that everybody already knows and rubbing it to their faces with lines like

please stop with the innocent "im just stating facts" and "i just want your honest opinion" crap you always post when its always been "the williams are the best and you guys know it" that you were saying all the time. it really is getting silly, especially since everybody is aware of it.
So everyone who talks all that stuff about Henin and Clijsters being better than the WS are just frontin??

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gospodin said:
ah, so this thread is like your rebuttal right?

"henin and clijsters are no match against my williamses!"

go knizzle! your crusade awaits.
No, but any victory by a player over the WS is remembered and brought up forever, but the WS wins are forgotten quicker than they happen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
forgotten? the williamses? did you count the number of threads here during the us open regarding them... and they weren't even playing! did you see how many articles always had williams this and williams that even when they aren't playing!

forgotten?!

we get reminded about how good your williamses are every friggin day on this message board! tell me, is it your duty to continually refresh our memories... and is it our obligation to remember?

and you say you dont care who likes them or not? please...

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gospodin said:
forgotten? the williamses? did you count the number of threads here during the us open regarding them... and they weren't even playing! did you see how many articles always had williams this and williams that even when they aren't playing!

forgotten?!

we get reminded about how good your williamses are every friggin day on this message board! tell me, is it your duty to continually refresh our memories... and is it our obligation to remember?

and you say you dont care who likes them or not? please...
I never said THEY were forgotten, but their wins. Stop trying to make this out to be more than it is.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Hmmmmm i have to agree I think there is a lot of bellyaching going on in this thread. Hell, the subject knizzle is trying to capture is so old and boring that I must be friggen bored myself to even be in here.

If the Williams sisters are so not appreciated as you put it, then what was all the commotion about when they were absent from the U.S. Open?

The sisters were solely missed during the two weeks of that tournament. Don't let knizzle fool you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Knizzle said:
I never said THEY were forgotten, but their wins. Stop trying to make this out to be more than it is.
bwahahaha! wtf?

so you mean to tell me that we just remember their faces and names not their wins?

for those who aren't necesarilly their "adoring" fans, the williams are nothing but their wins!

so to answer my own question:

why state the obvious?
its too RUB IT IN to fans of other players plain and simple.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
They are appreciated. Look at the Number CBS got for the Women's Finals a miserable 2.5 rating. They have to give some of that advertising money back. [In the Mega Millions]. They probably guaranteed a rating in the 5.0 digits.

The problem is that they are regarded as the ones to BEAT DOWN everyone. They win so much they are virtually unbeatable. Therefore when they lose it is HUGE and kudos to the victor.

·
Registered
330 Posts

-------VERY WELL said Seles ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.