Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ya'll. we're blogging from roma this week so i thought you might like to see yesterday's notes - i'll paste them below. if all you wozniacki fans want to see some pictures of her in the olympic stadium then visit our site - i don't know how to load pictures on here! d'oh! hope you don't get angry at me trying to send you to another site. your decision!

http://www.tennishead.net/on-tour/t...7/tennishead-on-tour-is-wozza-the-next-gazza/

Variety is the spice of life and all that so today’s blog is going to be split into chunks of, hopefully, entertaining chitter chatter from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Internazionali BNL d’Italia at Rome’s Foro Italico…

Wozniacki’s ball skills
We were lucky enough to share the Stadio Olimpico turf with young Danish superstar Caroline Wozniacki today when she visited the home of Serie A sides Lazio and Roma for a WTA stunt – see the video on the WTA site. After losing her third round match with Victoria Azarenka, the 18-year-old, whose dad and brother played footie to pro level, told me she’s a Liverpool fan and that her favourite player is Fernando Torres. Thoroughly, thoroughly lovely girl.

And then there were eight
Since we touched on results in the last paragraph, let’s get the on-court action out of the way. The big news was the exit of Ana Ivanovic at the hands of 10th seed Agnieska Radwanska in three and Dinara Safina also nearly crashed out before recovering from 2-5 in the decider to beat Zheng Jie 7-6 in the third. Venus Williams had a titanic battle against Anna Chakvetadze late at night before coming through 6-0, 6-7(8), 6-4. The quarter-final line-up is: Safina V Martinez Sanchez; Venus V Radwanska; Kuznetsova V Jankovic; Azarenka V Kanepi.

Spanish Steps
Another star out and about in Rome on Wednesday was Jelena Jankovic, who took time out to visit the Spanish Steps and enjoy a little shopping. Look out for the video on the WTA website Thursday. Just before that, she’d revealed in an interview that she tapes her toes before every match. Fact.

Burn baby burn
Another fact. There is not one single sunhat for sale within the Foro Italico. I know this because I visited each and every shop and boutique on site this afternoon. One positive that came out of my wild goose chase though is that I bumped into Agnes Szavay picking up her rackets from the stringer. The mate she was with joked it’d cost me 2 Euros to take her picture. Haggled her down to 1.50. Doing my expense form straight after this blog…

Cars and girls
After losing my car to Serena Williams last night, again I found myself at the transportation desk at the wrong side of midnight waiting for an official tournament Peugeot to take me back to my hotel. Dubs world No.7 Kveta Peschke was behind me in the line so I thought I’d do the gentlemanly thing and offer her the first car what with her being a player and all that. Unlike the Russian who shall remain nameless who had barged her way to the front of the queue on Monday night, Kveta was very, very polite. She thanked me, thanked me again and wished me a good night. Nice.

Dinara down in the dumps
Safina was on the brink of crashing out before she staged a remarkable comeback to beat Zheng but in the post-match press conference was soooo down about the way she’s playing right now. She talked about playing great in practice but not being able to reproduce it in matches and how she’s fed up of getting herself into too many tight spots. She didn’t say as much, but I reckon the pressure of being No.1 is already getting to her…

The dove from above
Was feeling pretty buff in my new purple polo shirt today until a colleague pointed out an enormous bird turd on my collar – just as I was on my way to interview Jelena Jankovic. I’m not sure talking to guys with animal excrement on their clothing is something JJ goes out of her way to do.

Champagne on ice
They say being pooed on brings you luck, and perhaps it’s true since when I got back to my hotel room there was a complimentary bottle of pink champagne awaiting consumption. It was all due to a bit of a cock-up when checking in on Monday. The receptionist gave me my key but when I opened what I thought was my room… yeah, you’ve guessed it, there was someone already tucked up in ‘my’ bed! I made a hasty retreat and I’m happy to say I’m enjoying a plastic cup of champers ALONE this evening. I’m drinking to another entertaining day at the Foro Italico tomorrow…

1 - 1 of 1 Posts