Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know) but what on earth is Wozniacki doing in St Petersburg, right after winning Melbourne? Even if she had a contract, surely she could wriggle out of it? Seems like an utterly bizarre move.

When was the last time a Slam champion competed the week after? Or the last time an AO champion competed the week after?

·
Registered
38,130 Posts
Once a vulture...

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know) but what on earth is Wozniacki doing in St Petersburg, right after winning Melbourne? Even if she had a contract, surely she could wriggle out of it? Seems like an utterly bizarre move.

When was the last time a Slam champion competed the week after? Or the last time an AO champion competed the week after?
Serena in Bastad 2015. She won a round and withdrew, I guess Wozniacki's gonna do the same.

I guess she'll win a match and then withdraw or lose on purpose. But she has a 1R BYE and 2R #200+ 16-year-old girl, she might decide to earn some more bucks. :SNE:

Reactions: Perun and bjurra

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Serena in Bastad 2015. She won a round and withdrew, I guess Wozniacki's gonna do the same.

I guess she'll win a match and then withdraw or lose on purpose. But she has a 1R BYE and 2R #200+ 16-year-old girl, she might decide to earn some more bucks. :SNE:
Oh yeah, I forgot Bastad was the week after Wimbledon.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
This isn't unheard of. It used to be the norm - Hingis played in Tokyo the week after all her AO victories (and reached the final each time, winning Tokyo twice). The last time was probably Kuznetsova playing (and winning) Bali in 2004 after winning the USO. Even on the men's side, Nadal has played Queen's the week after winning RG.

I don't expect Wozniacki will actually play but it wouldn't be that ridiculous if she did.
As you said it, also Muguruza played Mallorca in 2016. :lol:

But yeah, Kuznetsova might be the last one to take it seriously. :yeah:

P.S. Mallorca is in the 2nd week of the grass season, so nevermind what I posted.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muguruza and Nadal playing a grass event before Wimbledon isn't too crazy, Wozniacki travelling to Russia is on another level.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hm, I don't think she'll actually do much but maybe get a match, fulfil her contract and then buh-bye.

However, this could also be a way to try to hold on to #1 through the spring. After all, she has a LOT of points to defend in Feb/March while Halep has few.

Her "problem" (if you can call it that) is that her highest non-count is 100 (Charleston) and she'll need a SF spot (185) to improve her points total. Not unlikely, but still.

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
I thought she would play. Good to have the only slam winner of 2018 in the draw!

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,469 Posts
Presuming she plays, I think her 1st match is scheduled for Thursday. So unless she has something very exciting lined up for the weekend she might as well hang out in St Petersburg for a few addition days. As others have said, she could use the ranking points as her current lead over Simona Halep right now is paper thin.

The way I see it, as long as she has flown all the way out to St Petersburg she might as well try to win as many matches as she can. Of course that doesn't ensure she will win the tournament, tiredness could be a factor, but as others have pointed out, she is someone who likes to play tennis and does try to fulfil her commitments so it wouldn't surprise me if now that she has arrived in St Petersburg she does actually decide to give this tournament a shot.

·
Registered
15,068 Posts
Wasn't Tokyo indoors straight after AO?

Hingis reached at least the AO final and then the Tokyo final for six straight years.

1997: AO won, Tokyo won
1998: AO won, Tokyo RU
1999: AO won, Tokyo won
2000: AO RU, Tokyo won
2001: AO RU, Tokyo RU
2002: AO RU, Tokyo won

Pretty impressive :yeah:

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
@ hoergren
19m
Caro not playing until Thursday, but she's still some trouble with her knee - so we'll see how much she'll play. After St.Petersbourg she returns to Monaco to relax before Doha. All according to Patrik Wozniacki

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts

Hingis reached at least the AO final and then the Tokyo final for six straight years.

Yes it was straight after but that was a tier I, the equivalent of what would be a PM or P5?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It may be unusual these days, but to me, it seems a whole lot less crazy to get straight back on the hoss than to fall off the hoss at the first fence every time for the next 5 months.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Graf won AO and Tokyo in 1990 & 1994 as well. But then again Tokyo was then was one of the biggest tournaments of the year.

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
All that matters is leaving healthy. If she can play a set or even win a match, it doesnt matter
Maybe she wants to see how her focus is, knowing some players like Stephens are lost for months
After this, only 1 event until IW in March

1 - 20 of 77 Posts