Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YEC 2005 - Slamless former world #1 Mauresmo wins her biggest title to date, beating a resurgent 30-something year old former grand slam champion who had reached 2 GS finals that year. Fast forward a couple of months and Mauresmo wins her maiden grand slam title at the Australian Open.

YEC 2017 - Slamless former world #1 Wozniacki wins her biggest title to date, beating a resurgent 30-something year old former grand slam champion who had reached 2 GS finals that year. Fast forward a couple of months and Wozniacki wins her maiden grand slam title at the Australian Open.

Mauresmo went on to win another. Will Caroline?

·
Registered
114,480 Posts
Only Serena won more than 2 majors from 2009-now. If Caroline wins a 2nd before anyone else wins a 3rd she has a strong claim to 2nd best player of the deacde. She already is #2 to Serena in titles, weeks at #1 and prize money over the 2009-2019 era, so if she wins another...
She won the YEC and AO in her last 3 tournaments, so as long as she serves like this and stays healthy, she can wrote her legacy in the next few years
I am very intereested to see how she does at IW, one of her best tournaments, 3 finals there and beat Sharapova 61 62 on the way to a title there, and she was in last year's Miami final

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
doubt she wins another. Hardcourt is her only chance and the US open has Serena's name written all over it.

·
Registered
52,355 Posts
She had no walkovers :grin2:
It's not her fault :bigwave: quit because of a stomach ache and another opponent because of heat stroke...

Momo took care of business at Wimbledon that year too. :ras:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,469 Posts
YEC 2005 - Slamless former world #1 Mauresmo wins her biggest title to date, beating a resurgent 30-something year old former grand slam champion who had reached 2 GS finals that year. Fast forward a couple of months and Mauresmo wins her maiden grand slam title at the Australian Open.

YEC 2017 - Slamless former world #1 Wozniacki wins her biggest title to date, beating a resurgent 30-something year old former grand slam champion who had reached 2 GS finals that year. Fast forward a couple of months and Wozniacki wins her maiden grand slam title at the Australian Open.

Mauresmo went on to win another. Will Caroline?
It's possible. But if it does happen, it won't be at Wimbledon. :eek:h:

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,948 Posts
The competition Mauresmo had during the 2005 YEC was insane. She managed to beat Clijsters, Sharapova and Dementieva in straight sets before peaking in the final set against peak Pierce. La Borz had to beat a grandma Venus on a surface that played like mud :spit:

As for Mauresmo’s AO walkovers, she would prove next Wimbledon how she deserved both slam titles and the AO wasn’t a fluke. Meanwhile Wozniacki has yet to prove she can win a slam against actual competition, because that draw was a cakewalk from round 1 to the final, and she almost didn’t even get through that :spit:

In conclusion, Mauresmo was a talented tennis player who played in a fiercely competitive era, and definitely deserved more than just 3 slam finals. Wozniacki is a pusher in a weak era, each of her slam final runs have been extremely weak, culminating in the 2018 AO where she had to beat another slamless number 1 who was injured. And still needed 3 sets :spit:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Only Serena won more than 2 majors from 2009-now. If Caroline wins a 2nd before anyone else wins a 3rd she has a strong claim to 2nd best player of the deacde. She already is #2 to Serena in titles, weeks at #1 and prize money over the 2009-2019 era, so if she wins another...
She won the YEC and AO in her last 3 tournaments, so as long as she serves like this and stays healthy, she can wrote her legacy in the next few years
I am very intereested to see how she does at IW, one of her best tournaments, 3 finals there and beat Sharapova 61 62 on the way to a title there, and she was in last year's Miami final

First of all, decades don't work that way- secondly, she has a grand total of 3 major finals in a 10 year span.......any of Azarenka, Sharapova, Clijsters, Kerber and Muguruza can claim the same, if not more.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Caro's career now reminds me more of Kim Clijsters', though a much lesser version of course.
I can see this, for sure. Both are truly hard court lovers (Clijsters for no good reason, she had a great game for clay but basically made a decision that she didn't like it and wouldn't excel), and both had a lot of doubts before winning their first slam. Clijsters always seemed more of a sure thing, and she had a better offensive mindset, but she also competed in a very tough era early and retired young (and retired again, still young), whereas Wozniacki has a few good years left, almost certainly. It will be interesting to see whether she approaches Clijsters 4 hardcour major count.

It occurs to me: Clijsters has more hardcourt majors than Venus Williams or Justine Henin.

In fact, the only players I can think of with more hardcourt majors are Serena (duh), Graf (duh), and Seles (she won 6, if I'm counting right....).

Evert 'only' won 3. Navratilova 'only' won 4. Granted, their era had fewer hardcourt majors, but still.

Hingis also has 4.

Just a random realization. I knew Clijsters was an all-time elite hardcourt player but I didn't realize to what extent she's near the top of those kinds of rankings. Interesting.

·
Registered
114,480 Posts
I think Halep is more like Clijsters. That she has not won a major while Stephens and ostapenko did is all about handling nerves when you have accomplished so much in between majors
I expect halep to win a few. Its clear from this major she is totally all-in now, even risking her health to give her all.
Wozniacki is a strange case because she was winning 33 of 36 matches, 26 of 28 matches, getting to 5 finals in 6 events, crazy success on tour, then a surprise loss at a major to a noncontender
But I watched a lot of the losses and I knew she wasnt focused when she served. Seemed like she would miss the first one just to take a breather, then spin in the 2nd and play defense
Now she serves in a focused, smart way, and I can see how much work she has put into it
A serve and the great defense, and now she has YEC & AO

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Let's not get carried away. Prior to this Oz open win: Caroline hasn't beaten a single top 5 player at a major. So of course Simona Halep would be the first.

We will see what she does next.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
French and Wimbledon are not her surfaces
If it happens it would be the US Open

·
Art & Futures
20,620 Posts
If you wanna say Halep is Woz' nemesis and a multi-GS champ... sure! :cheer:

·
Registered
114,480 Posts
Mauresmo's last win at that AO was Schnyder in a QF, that is the best way for a slamless former #1 to win a major, not having to close out a SF or Final
Wozniacki was fortunate Svitolina lost. It made for an easier SF with shorter points while Halep went hard to get rid of Kerber in a high pressure long grinding match
But that is slams, especially for players who do the most in between majors, there is much more pressure on them to win that first major and they all need some luck to get that first one

Even though Wozniacki was #1 for 67 weeks and won 25 titles, I think she improved her serve and her fiance, a former NBA player, has helped her to stay composed in the most pressurized moments
If you watch how she won that final, she was just playing steady, letting Halep go for the high risk shots in the most pressurized moments. Thats how she got there, and thats how she won it
She is just 27, you know what I mean, and better than ever, still on the upswing

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I can't. I just can't. Caroline and Momo have such different styles of play. If I had to rate who has the better game Momo would win hands down. She won and played some amazing tough competition. She had a beautiful game to watch while Caroline's game is functional but boring to me. I'm happy for Caro but she ain't "no momo" .

1 - 20 of 68 Posts