Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They showed part of her press conference on ESPN and she said, "When Serena plays her best, I have no chance to beat her. However, she cannot play her best everyday, although she does quite often."

Shocking stuff from Mauresmo admitting that Serena has to be below par in order for her to win...

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Thing is, Mauresmo's a coward.

Her serve today was diabolical. She didn't have a chance serving like that - that's for sure!

But she was serving abysmally from the beginning, so she came out in the wrong frame of mind.

I tend to agree with what she's saying, however - but I don't think Amelie's ever tested the heights Serena can go to enough to make a judgement.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I am a Serena fan, but even I find that quite shocking. I mean, if she feels she has no chance, then why not just GO FOR IT! I mean, if she feels she's going to go down, then go down with a fight. Swing loosely and just go for the shots. I mean, ANYTHING would've been more of a showing and a challenge than what she did today. But I don't blame her. I mean, I know it's easier said than done. But I wish she just believed that she did have a chance. And use that to fight. Oh well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I'm not buying it people. Didnt this woman just beat Serena a couple of weeks ago? Wasnt she the one at the beginning of the tournement offering scouting reports on how to beat Serena? It wasnt that long ago that she was constantly giving Serena trouble in matches. The woman got outplayed as simple as that. Give credit where it is flucking due folks.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,437 Posts
IMO these comments are Amelie's way of deflecting the fact that she simply didn't handle the pressure at home today against Serena.

Serena played well, no doubt about that, but come on - Amelie hardly even gave herself a chance to get into the match and test Serena out.

Unfortunately Amelie has not performed up to par when it's counted at Roland Garros yet, and I am sure it is not easy for her, let alone anyone, but I don't think that using this excuse is the right answer. I don't think saying she couldn't take the pressure is good either, but perhaps she should have said that she simply didn't find her A game today, because she clearly didn't.

Better luck next year Amelie, believe in yourself :)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Amelie played poorly today that's for sure. I know she can play a lot better and force Serena to beat her. Her serve was a laugh and her shots were tentative for the most part, save a few brilliant points that she was able to win.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
In all honesty, I feel bad for Amelie. How can one person be expected to carry such a burden for a whole nation? What about the men, does the French crowd put them under as much pressure as they do Amelie? The sad part is that she may never win the French Open because that feeling of being responsible to win her country's tournament will always make her nervous, hence, impeding her performance.

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
Come on!! You guys know that if Serena plays her best.. it's almost impossbile for an Amelie to beat her.. :rolleyes: Moreover, amelie played poorly.. what do u expect her to say.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I have to agree that if you think you're going down anyway just go for it! Wasn't it Amelie who said last year that she was aiming for the #3 ranking? If you're going out with a negative mind set no kidding you're gonna get nailed.

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If she feels that way, fine, but that's just something you don't say out loud! She basically told Serena, "You'll beat me if you play your normal game or better. I only have a chance when you're playing below your average game." That only fuels Serena's confidence against Amelie. When the #5 player in the world has such a defeatist attitude against Serena, that doesn't say much for the chances of the other players below her.

I like Amelie, but that crap she said last year at Wimby about her goal being to become #3 in the world (behind V and S) and now this makes me wonder if she can overcome her mental blocks and become a GS champion.

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
talking about mental blocks.. not everyday even a GS champion are in her good forms.. there ups and downs.. perhaps obviously today was amelie's bad form..

yeah, i'm kinda agree with you in the first part, she was obviously lost before playing.. what matters most in a match si confidence.. faith!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Serena is confident and killing everyone's ass.

Amelia should feel the same way about her own game the way Serena did before she was winning grandslam, eg: "you should see me on the practice court, I'm 100%, now I just have to bring it into my matches" and she did, Amelia going to get nowhere near Serena with this mind set.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
I dont see the big deal. Amelie said that in a press conference BEFORE the match (when no comments were made here) as well as one after. In her opinion, Serena is the best player in the world, and she is not. If the best player in the world plays at their best it stands to reason she will not be able to beat her.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
go hingis said:
Serena is confident and killing everyone's ass.

Amelia should feel the same way about her own game the way Serena did before she was winning grandslam, eg: "you should see me on the practice court, I'm 100%, now I just have to bring it into my matches" and she did, Amelia going to get nowhere near Serena with this mind set.
You can't even spell her name right...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
it's just a totally wrong attitude from momo. If you go on court, then you have to believe in yourself and play your best tennis. Other topplayers know that Serena is the best player in the world, but they also know she's human and she can lose too.

Can hardly believe that Momo said that..you know you are going to lose if you don't even believe in yourself.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
it's ridiculous :eek:

and the crap serena is number 1 and so she is right?

come at that way people always stay number 1 except when they burn out (and even then it still takes a player with mentality to stop it)

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
you never know, momo might end up being virginia wade no.2. cant imagine that day.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
and there was a thread about it before the match!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts