Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is amazing that a great player like Martina N has not been approached to caoch one of the present players. Imagine what a great coach she would make, not only because of her experience, but also for the fact that she is the best serve volleyer that ever lived, something that is not a strength of any of the top 10.

I think that Martina N would be invaluable to is Justine Henin. She can help Justine develop her serve and volley, which will add another dimension to her game, but more importantly be able to to help her overcome her nerves in big situations and start winning those big matches! Martina suffered from the same problems eraly in her career, and look what happened!:eek:

The other player that I think she would be a good coach for is Martina Hingis. I think that she can really add another dimension to Hinigis' already crafty game, and give her tips on how to improve her serve. Though Hinigs is probably the best vollyer out their, in tight situations, she still retrats to the baseline. Prime example: The Australian Open final just played.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
awwww your too kind to start this thread for me BCP!!!

I actually posted the exact same topic about 2 years ago on the sanex boards!!

I always thought Hingis would benefit from it, but when u say Henin, I also agree that she would benefit...

I also think Mauresmo would benefit the most, and I think its the most likely...

I think, and it saddens me to say, but I think some of the younger girls (esp Hingis) would feel uncomfortable being coached by Martina...

The other problem is they are all so used to their dad or mom caoching them, and feel like 'they know my game best", like no-one else is capable of working with them with any benefit...

BUt I can see Momo really having more in common with Martina than any other girls, the lesbian thing wouldnt be an issue, Martina could help Amelie with the mental aspect of things...

And if there is one thing Martina cant stand - its unrealised potential, and Amelie is full of that!!!!!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Oh hell yeah, but players that come to mind for me our Hantuchova or Mikaelian.

Both players seem to exhibit an all-court game that could easily develop into a serve and volley style with Martina's help.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally agreed. I forgot about Mauresmo. I think Martina would be a great coach for her. I think that Martina could really help her with her nerves, and her fitness, and I think Mauresmo would be willing to learn. Imagine the clashes that would happen if Melanie and Martina N shared coaching duties on Martina H. I don't think Melanie could ever let go of her daughter, even if it would be to Martina H's benefit.......

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jakeev, you read my mind. I was also going to ask about players outside the Top 10. Which one of those would most benefit from Martina N's coaching.

·
25,384 Posts
Monica Seles. Martina needn't replace Zell, but Monica had been on cruise control about her fitness since her return in 1996. Six years without slams has shown time and time again that at 10-15 pounds over where she needs to be, Monica can't win slams. Period.

Where does Martina fit into all that? She's been there as far going far without being in top conditioning, then making the painful adjustment. It's a mental and physical change, and with the respect Seles has for Martina it sounds different then if it came from someone else. Up to now Monica has been unwilling to do what it takes. If anyone can shake that up, Martina could.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
From outside the top ten, Hantuchova. Although I think that´s whats already happening, in an informal way. I wish I could remember where I read it (of course that doesn´t mean its true!), but that Martina and Arantxa had decided to take Hantuchova under their wing and play some doubles with her this year after seeing her potential last season. Sorry, I cant find a source, I know it wasn´t here.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Dani and Alex would do wonders under her guidance:)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Maybe Nav would maybe be the ideal coach for Anna or Amelie, both have nervous problems, so did Nav so she knows what it is but she was still able to win 167 titles so it didn`t stop her in the end, maybe she can learn how she did that to Anna or Amelie too, that might make a big difference in the career of both.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I didn't think about Alex dawn and your could be right but I would have some doubts too.

For that to ever happen, ol Samantha would have to be behind the scenes cause I know Martina would not take any of her junk.

Martina definitely could turn Alex into an amazing player.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Martina would not be a good coach, she would be GREAT!!!
Maybe the greatest.
I remember arguing about Bollettieri or Gilbert being the best ever.
We have Mr.Williams and Mrs. (Miss) Molitor around here.
Would there be a possible comparison?

Navratilova has all it needs:
she was an extraordianary player, she was/is a motivator, she can't live outside tennis so she can easily sort things out.
She has a powerful voice and she's mentally influential.
She's convincing.

And ANY player would benefit of her coaching, i can't think of names.

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
In total agreement with Czechfan. Amelie could vastly improve with Martina as a coach, and the sooner, the better ;)

I also think Daniela would benefit.

Hell, who wouldn't benefit from Martina's vast knowledge of tennis? After all, she was/is a great player!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rollo, I think that's its wierd that you would think of Monica. Out of everyone, I would think of Monica last. I think that Martina wouldn't understand the type of game Monica plays enough to really add much value, and Monica, I think would be pretty set in her ways. Martina could give her tips on her net play, but I can't see Monica having to fortiude to become an attacking player from the net. Monica already has a champion's disposition, so Martina couldn't really do much there... Just my humble opinion....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts