Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the total mess of the FO and the fact that Barty was one of the most inform players this season, she would have had great chances to win the FO again. It was tragic that she was injured.

With Swiatek and Sabalenka out, who could have beaten her ? And we have seen that Gauff would have folded against her. And I don't think she would have lost against Krejcikova (she was pretty shaky in the first set. It was a miracle she won it)
In the final, I don't think Pavs would have the mental fortitude to beat her and Barty would have exploited her poor movement. WIth Zidansek, it would have been 60/40 IMO

I have the feeling that it was the biggest chance of Barty ever to retain her FO title and solidify her #1 ranking.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Don't forget she exited the last AO at QF, losing to Muchova. Also lost in Charleston to Badosa, in Adelaide to Collins... not exactly top-ranked players.

Barty has had R4/QF/SF consistency, which puts her above most of the other WTA players, but she's far from a lock at slams - where she only has one title, and a single semi after all. She may have won RG, may also have lost at similar stages as some other contenders.

And a Barty deep run may also have reduced the hype put on some of the other contenders (Badosa, Swiatek...) who might have fared a bit better.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
With the total mess of the FO and the fact that Barty was one of the most inform players this season, she would have had great chances to win the FO again. It was tragic that she was injured.

With Swiatek and Sabalenka out, who could have beaten her ? And we have seen that Gauff would have folded against her. And I don't think she would have lost against Krejcikova (she was pretty shaky in the first set. It was a miracle she won it)
In the final, I don't think Pavs would have the mental fortitude to beat her and Barty would have exploited her poor movement. WIth Zidansek, it would have been 60/40 IMO

I have the feeling that it was the biggest chance of Barty ever to retain her FO title and solidify her #1 ranking.

stop trolling bro.

why the f*** was Barty injured at the FO on 18 days rest? Clearly it was her own fault. If she's that fragile, don't play Rome.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget she exited the last AO at QF, losing to Muchova. Also lost in Charleston to Badosa, in Adelaide to Collins... not exactly top-ranked players.

Barty has had R4/QF/SF consistency, which puts her above most of the other WTA players, but she's far from a lock at slams - where she only has one title, and a single semi after all. She may have won RG, may also have lost at similar stages as some other contenders.

And a Barty deep run may also have reduced the hype put on some of the other contenders (Badosa, Swiatek...) who might have fared a bit better.
Agree

Maybe Gauff instead of facing a horrible Jabeur would have peaked against her as she would have been the underdog and would be more battle hardened after. We will never know but her draw was very doable.

Although I think that Badosa and maybe Swiatek would still have lost. Iga had no solutions against Sakkari power hitting and serve - even if course she should have been 3-0, she threw that game away

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It is a shame she was injured, but like others have said who knows, have you heard of the butterfly effect? Not clear if external conditions remained the same.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A hypothetical, but if QF line up was the same - absolutely definitely! What a contrast she would be to the petulant Swiatek

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
completely hypothetical...but, she would have certainly gotten a lot further..

·
La nuit je mens
89,840 Posts
Avec des si, on coupe du bois.

Reactions: *Jool*

·
Registered
303 Posts
Agree

Maybe Gauff instead of facing a horrible Jabeur would have peaked against her as she would have been the underdog and would be more battle hardened after. We will never know but her draw was very doable.

Although I think that Badosa and maybe Swiatek would still have lost. Iga had no solutions against Sakkari power hitting and serve - even if course she should have been 3-0, she threw that game away
That Barty - Gauff would likely have made the night session (Barty being #1 and champion 2 years ago, Gauff being the promising future star - thus interest from US broadcasters).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
She was outplayed by Linette who lost to Jabeur who lost to Gauff who lost to Krejcikova who is only in the SF.

Silly thread.

·
Registered
711 Posts
How many of this imbeciles treads can this forum tolerate before the mo9ds introduce new rules about those new joiners being allowed to open new threads?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was a critic of the rankings system allowing Barty to stay #1 throughout last year however she redeemed herself to me with her commitment to the tour this year.

I thought it was sad to see her have to retire after winning Miami, Stuttgart and being runner up in Madrid. I think she had a real chance here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts