Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the stats:

First Serve % 33 of 54 = 61 %39 of 64 = 61 % Aces32 Double Faults14 Unforced Errors1011 Winning % on 1st Serve20 of 33 = 61 %25 of 39 = 64 % Winning % on 2nd Serve9 of 21 = 43 %15 of 25 = 60 % Winners (Including Service)1417 Receiving Points Won24 of 64 = 38 %25 of 54 = 46 % Break Point Conversions1 of 6 = 17 %4 of 10 = 40 % Net Approaches3 of 9 = 33 %4 of 4 = 100 % Total Points Won5365 Fastest Serve119 MPH113 MPH Average 1st Serve Speed108 MPH106 MPH Average 2nd Serve Speed86 MPH97 MPH

--------------------------

As a big Serena fan I have to note that it seems that Sharapova's BETTER second serve might have been the difference. Winners are close, Errors are close, Serve percentage is close, etc. Winning on second serve... not close.

Bottom line... Serena did NOT give this match away on UFEs.

Sharapova ACTUALLY WON with excellent play.

The new generation is here.

Serena did not seem to be too disapointed... She must have been thinking back to when she won the US Open in 1999 at seventeen. She has something in common with Maria.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yes, Sharapova dictated the match :angel:

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
VS Fan said:
Here are the stats:

First Serve % 33 of 54 = 61 %39 of 64 = 61 % Aces32 Double Faults14 Unforced Errors1011 Winning % on 1st Serve20 of 33 = 61 %25 of 39 = 64 % Winning % on 2nd Serve9 of 21 = 43 %15 of 25 = 60 % Winners (Including Service)1417 Receiving Points Won24 of 64 = 38 %25 of 54 = 46 % Break Point Conversions1 of 6 = 17 %4 of 10 = 40 % Net Approaches3 of 9 = 33 %4 of 4 = 100 % Total Points Won5365 Fastest Serve119 MPH113 MPH Average 1st Serve Speed108 MPH106 MPH Average 2nd Serve Speed86 MPH97 MP
--------------------------

As a big Serena fan I have to note that it seems that Sharapova's BETTER second serve might have been the difference. Winners are close, Errors are close, Serve percentage is close, etc. Winning on second serve... not close.

Bottom line... Serena did NOT give this match away on UFEs.

Sharapova ACTUALLY WON with excellent play.

The new generation is here.

Serena did not seem to be too disapointed... She must have been thinking back to when she won the US Open in 1999 at seventeen. She has something in common with Maria.

Congrates Sharapova!! Well Done

Oh SERENA!!! You cant will them all! :hug: You have your place in history as one for the greatest of all time, no matter what happens you will be that! (i may name my first female child Serena, and i am not alone there!!)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i dont think either played below their standards. They both played amazingly. maria just played better. :clap2:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
yes i agree VS Fan -- Serena got beaten today. that's what makes it such an impressive result. we're not talking two tie-breaks as occurred between Sprem and Venus. we're talking SPANKED! Serena needs to re-group, go back to the drawing board, and figure out what she has to improve in her game. i have some suggestions:

1. her forehand. that slicy thing just doesn't cut it

2. her movement. too lumbering. and she doesn't turn back well. she commits herself to a direction and that's it.

3. her vollies. they pop up too much.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tennischick:

While Serena's loss has screwed up my entire 4 day weekend, I have to admire Maria's game that won her this championship. She won with her game rather than off Serena's errors. This signals the arrival of the next generation of players, modeled after Venus and Serena's games.

Venus and Serena will have to try to get to another level to be dominate in the future.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Or maybe Maria will get shot on a changeover in a match by some psycho Serena/Venus fan:tape: ...I really do fear that history will repeat itself:sad: ...

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
oh, may I add one thing for Serena to improve on?

Her dropshots--they need to land IN FRONT OF the service line:lol: :tape: ;)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Serena beat her self. So says Mary Carillo.

It was not a good match by Serena - and we all know that.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
If she just improves on the forehand side she should do fine imo...

·
Banned
723 Posts
ballbuster and mary carillo are both wrong:)...serena did not beat herself...its impossible to beat yourself:)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, this is just not true.

Serena did NOT beat herself with errors. Maria won with superior play in THIS match.

UFE's were escentially equal. Winners were +3 for Sharapova, still close. First Service percentage was also very close. Second serve success and net play were the key differences in today's match.

This was a very clean match in which Sharapova clearly won. I can see this even though I am a Serena fan.

Even Serena seems to realize that she was beaten, and she must have remembered the day she won the US Open vs the #1 player in 1999. She gave props to Maria.

She was smileing more than I expected.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
This match reminded me a lot of a Graf-Pierce semifinal in the French Open one year (can't remember which). But I do remember thinking it was one of the first times when I felt someone had simply steamrolled Graf and dictated the match vs. waiting for Graf's winners or losers. If you watched that match, you know that Sharapova simply dominated from start to finish. This is one time I can say Serena was totally outplayed. Sharapova seemed destined to win this match. Contrary to what someone said earlier in this post, I think Serena was devastated by this loss. And I suspect she will use it to regain some motivation and focus. She was my pick to win Wimbledon, and I'll stick with her as my pick to win the U.S. Open. As for Sharapova, it's some well-deserved rewards for a superbly played tournament.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
She played like shit so she beat herself. That wasn't her A game in there, that wasn't even her B game

i don't know what that was. So as far as I'm concerned that was an imposter.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Serena couldn't hit a forehand in court and never went for many shots in the 2nd set allowing maria to dictate. Imo thats the worst match serena has played in many a year- thats fact. There might not have been many errors but thats becuase she was hitting avaerage pace 2nd serves and shots and hit with no conviction today becuase she didn't want to make error.
There was no desire or determination shown by her aswell today.

Did you see some of the approach shots she hit today?!- they were pushed in the court and maria punished them. Normal serena would never push a ball into court- she would smack it a 100mph.

Maria did excellant to take advantage but to say that was good serena performance is cynile.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Serena lost because Maria had her on her heels (or on the grass....) the whole match. I haven't seen someone out-hit Serena is a LONG time. Unbelievably, it was Sharapova's second serve that was the difference after Serena was serving the cover off the ball the whole fortnight. You have to give props to the girl...she played an incredibly focused aggressive match and she deserved the win. I saw this girl's first WTA match at IW in 2002 and knew she was the real deal, but I did not expect her to win a slam this early. Impressive indeed.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I agree. Serena did not beat herself. I think for the longest time, Serena and Venus both have been able to rely on not only their brilliant tennis, but also the intimidation factor associated with them. IMO, they were able to help other players beat themselves.

Having said that, Serena didn't play her best tennis. This result should have been expected against such a talented player. Indeed, a new generation has arrived, and now the Williams Sisters will just have to WIN for themselves. They're fully capable of pulling it off.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Sometimes an opponent doesn't allow you to play your best game. Sometimes an opponent's best game takes you away from your best game. When an opponent is dictating the play, you can't play your best game. So, yes, Serena is capbable of playing better, but Sharapova for the most part, didn't let her play better. Serena has won other matches making a whole lot of errors, so I don't think errors were responsible for this loss. Also from what I saw, Sharapova put Serena in the position to make errors. She took advantage of the few vulnerabilites Serena has on grass. Sharapova actually even drew Serena to the net and allowed her to make errors there as well.

·
Banned
796 Posts
I agree, Serena was just outclassed by Maria

1 - 20 of 66 Posts