Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
18,250 Posts
The clay season of 2010 was...something, with Rezai winning Madrid, MJMS winning Rome and Schiavone winning RG.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Wmbledon 2013.

·
Registered
21,413 Posts
Also Montreal 2006.

A whole stack of the top players withdrew before the tournament even started then there was a bunch of retirements and walkovers during the event leaving the draw completely uneven. There were no good matches, although that Na Li/Pelletier match is memorable for all the wrong reasons. One completed semi and a duff, one-sided final. The Prattasaurus even managed to reach the quarterfinals.

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Sydney 2005

All the top seeds retiring or giving walkovers and Stosur getting a bye to the final.

There was an all Australian final and Peng had her WTA breakthrough, but only because Myskina was as a pile of crap and Petrova gave up.
This is a great pick, I had kind of forgotten about it. Imagine the uproar nowadays if a local WC won two matches and then got a walkover in both the quarterfinal AND semi final to go straight into the final? She put up a good fight in the final but I remember it being a pretty muggy and chokey match. I'm glad Molik won, just because she had actually earned her way there more.

The draw was very lopsided and looked even worse with the top players flopping and taking. In one quarter of the draw, four out of the six players were qualifiers (this was all the Q spots too, none in any other quarter of the draw lmao).

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Also Montreal 2006.

A whole stack of the top players withdrew before the tournament even started then there was a bunch of retirements and walkovers during the event leaving the draw completely uneven. There were no good matches, although that Na Li/Pelletier match is memorable for all the wrong reasons. One completed semi and a duff, one-sided final. The Prattasaurus even managed to reach the quarterfinals.
Which player is that?

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Which player is that?
Nicole Pratt. She would have been in her mid 30s at the time and made the QF from qualies. It was a VERY surprising run given the stage of her career she was in and the fact that she was always more of a doubles player.

Side note: I saw she and Stubbs are currently training Gavrilova and trying to teach her how to hit a slice DTL lol.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The clay season of 2010 was...something, with Rezai winning Madrid, MJMS winning Rome and Schiavone winning RG.
I don't remember them being bad tournaments though... MJMS' run to the title was actually absolutely spectacular - she beat Schiavone, Wozniacki, Safarova, Ivanovic and Jankovic, all of them in straight sets. That's crazy. It's a shame there are almost no highlights from these matches as she was so fun to watch in that tournament.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Also Montreal 2006.

I think all of the withdrawals and retirements came late too. They were basically all round 4 to the semis

61 - 80 of 100 Posts