Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes, which were equally unconscionable.

At least Rome still has atmosphere and beauty, but Madrid is an ugly box, a bored crowd, and the antithesis of clay tennis somehow counting as clay tennis. Those years (plus Li Na and Sharapova (twice!) winning the French Open) signaled the death of clay tennis at the elite level of the WTA as a consequence of the PM-P5 system cutting down the importance of clay.
I think you re being a little too dramatic . Sharapova’s clay play was elite level and would be considered elite level against anyone . Just because she is not Henin level good on clay doesn’t mean she isn’t Kuznetova , Safina , Halep , Serena good.
And let’s be honest , I know Francesca is good on clay , but her reaching two slam finals is the sign that makes you worry . You put her in 2020 and there is almost no way she reaches the Rg finals .

I do agree about Azarenka though , especially her Madrid runs . She just isn’t that good on clay , I’m sorry . Same for kenin this year at the French . Nothing against her , it just feels extremely fluky( even if it happens again)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
OMG this thread is hilarious!

What is "XWTA"? I saw it in this thread.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,397 Posts
Idk why but I couldn't get into the French Open 2020

·
La nuit je mens
87,761 Posts
FO 2020 was perfectly fine. Decent winners and matches. The lights that finally allowed night matches with a new atmosphere. The new stadium getting slowly ready, looking good. Almost zero covid drama. I don't know what you need. People were already canceling it before it happened because of weather and rain and it all turned perfectly fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nobody mentioned it and maybe it's just me but US Open 2016 was completely dreadful for me. I don't remember a single memorable moment from it and i have never in my life been so uninterested in a GS final like with that Kerber-Pliskova match 🥴

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nobody mentioned it and maybe it's just me but US Open 2016 was completely dreadful for me. I don't remember a single memorable moment from it and i have never in my life been so uninterested in a GS final like with that Kerber-Pliskova match 🥴
Can we say 2016 was the worst season in the last 5 years from a fun match perspective ?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
FO 2020 was perfectly fine. Decent winners and matches. The lights that finally allowed night matches with a new atmosphere. The new stadium getting slowly ready, looking good. Almost zero covid drama. I don't know what you need. People were already canceling it before it happened because of weather and rain and it all turned perfectly fine.
The matches were dreadful. The winners were bad ( of course that’s utterly subjective ) . There was NO atmosphere . The rain was tough and the conditions were difficult
However Covid did contribute to most of these factors and at least we got to see what Iga can do .there was not much it could have been done so I don’t blame anyone .
It just wasn’t a good tournament.

·
Premium Member
27,374 Posts
At least Halep lost in round 2 to Ana . So at least you had fun then 😂.
But was it worth it ? To enjoy Halep losing and to gain Sara as the title holder? Genuine question :))
Ana last good win of her career I think

No it wasnt worth it... I would prefer Simona winning the whole thing

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ana last good win of her career I think

No it wasnt worth it... I would prefer Simona winning the whole thing
And if she defeated Ana you best believe she would have . I don’t know what happened with her during that time .... she was such a mess.

·
La nuit je mens
87,761 Posts
The matches were dreadful. The winners were bad ( of course that’s utterly subjective ) . There was NO atmosphere . The rain was tough and the conditions were difficult
However Covid did contribute to most of these factors and at least we got to see what Iga can do .there was not much it could have been done so I don’t blame anyone .
It just wasn’t a good tournament.
There were plenty of interesting matches in week 1. Of course there was no atmosphere as there was no crowd but that just can't be taken into account. As for the rain and conditions, first it was October, and second, it barely had an impact at the end despite the fact that most of this forum was whining about how the tournament was about to be canceled cause the matches would never get completed on time. Turned out there was barely any rain and delays at the end.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
There were plenty of interesting matches in week 1. Of course there was no atmosphere as there was no crowd but that just can't be taken into account. As for the rain and conditions, first it was October, and second, it barely had an impact at the end despite the fact that most of this forum was whining about how the tournament was about to be canceled cause the matches would never get completed on time. Turned out there was barely any rain and delays at the end.
We’ll see this year( although it really will not be the same regardless) , but i believe the conditions changed everything in this tournament .
Kenin , Petra and Nadia will not reach the semis anytime soon in normal conditions ( Petra could , but she hates Rg for whatever reason) and Iga will have much more trouble getting through the fields when her shots start flying out ( or so I think , at least)

·
Registered
13,830 Posts
2015, I watched this, this was seriously fun to watch.
Oh man, I had completely forgotten about that impromptu exhibition. I was confused about what Clijsters had to do with anything.😂

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
I can't speak to WTA events since most I didn't actually watch, but in terms of slams, that US Open where the women's semis were played on an empty Armstrong due to scheduling issues must be up there.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts